Operation Flashpoint 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint 2

Codemasters is moving ahead with production of OFP2, this time however, BIS isn't involved with the title... which could be a good thing.

First up is first-person shooter Operation Flashpoint 2, which will be coming to the PC and "major console formats." The company describes the game as its "most extensive R and D project to date," and says it has already been in preproduction for two years. It will use a new FPS version of the studio's middleware, Neon.

The original game, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, was released in 2001 and followed by two expansion packs. The second game will feature a new contemporary setting, along with extensive multiplayer components and a variety of military disciplines to play.
    Yes, that is a actual screenshot.

Linky link?

Comment

Codemasters readies trio of games
      Three new titles coming from the TOCA publisher in 2008, including Operation Flashpoint 2.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
      Apr 19, 2007 2:16 am PT

First up is first-person shooter Operation Flashpoint 2, which will be coming to the PC and "major console formats." The company describes the game as its "most extensive R and D project to date," and says it has already been in preproduction for two years. It will use a new FPS version of the studio's middleware, Neon.

The original game, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, was released in 2001 and followed by two expansion packs. The second game will feature a new contemporary setting, along with extensive multiplayer components and a variety of military disciplines to play.

Also being published in 2008 by Codemasters....
      http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/op...70&mode=recent

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/

Comment

thanks for the news! Yes, it will be good to have some competition for BIS assuming OFP2 takes the high road and goes for realism instead of the 'run-and-gun' style of most FPS games.

nice screenie! I'm a bit of a skeptic, but if the screenie is a true, unmodified/photoshopped/unaltered screenie then this game will at least be very impressive in the visual department!
        All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Breathtaking
          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
          "

Comment

thats excellent, hoping it will be better than ArmA.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423 View Post
              thats excellent, hoping it will be better than ArmA.
              STFU!

That's likely the response you'll get over at the BIS forums. You know, I totally agree. In the past few weeks I've simply lost interest in ArmA... well... just read this.

Posted (Marines @ May 28 2007,12:48)

I have to agree with what the majority has posted, so I won't go into repeating what others have said. However, as a long-time OFPr', I too was excited when ArmA was announced, and following my initial purchase of the German version, and after a few weeks of actually playing it, I simply lost interest. Which wasn't the case with OFP. Something has to be said for a game that held it's own for so long, a game while damned ulgy by todays standards, continues to maintain a fanatical following (gameplay over eye-candy wins anyday). ArmA on the other hand does not and may not ever be as great. Perhaps it's due to the awful preformance so many experience. Maybe it's the fact that the AI is shoddy at best or downright horrid in the least. Perchance it's due too a clunky control scheme, or a MP interface that doesn't seem to work the way it was intended.

Operation Flashpoint, with all it's early issues and failings, was still able to suck the player in, keeping them immersed in the setting. ArmA simply doesn't achieve that... for me at least. I believe we all expected a bit too much, improvements we hoped that would've been implimented. Unfortunantly though, they were not, and now we're left with a buggy and unstable game, a game that is severly lacking by todays standards even in the most minimal aspects.

EDIT - I begining to wonder if these preformance issues are related to the engine being ported from a console.
              The entire thread is an interesting read.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...&#entry1080660

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                STFU!

That's likely the response you'll get over at the BIS forums. You know, I totally agree. In the past few weeks I've simply lost interest in ArmA... well... just read this.

Yes, that thread is an interesting read. BI will be in a world of hurt if they don't start fixing their game! And Codemaster has an opportunity in 2008 to take the mantle of the 'realistic modern day FPS' games!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles View Post
                  Yes, that thread is an interesting read. BI will be in a world of hurt if they don't start fixing their game! And Codemaster has an opportunity in 2008 to take the mantle of the 'realistic modern day FPS' games!
                  I think there is only so much they can do, especially considering the vast array of preformance issues so many have. I spose that's what you get when you improperly port a console engine to the PC... of course this is nothing new when it concerns porting to different platforms. I have a bit more faith in Codemasters to create a far better product, that while realistic, also remains fun to play at the same time.

The in-house dev team began production almost two years ago. The official launch may come towards the end of this year, I hope.

Comment

I think there is only so much they can do, especially considering the vast array of preformance issues so many have. I spose that's what you get when you improperly port a console engine to the PC... of course this is nothing new when it concerns porting to different platforms. I have a bit more faith in Codemasters to create a far better product, that while realistic, also remains fun to play at the same time.

The in-house dev team began production almost two years ago. The official launch may come towards the end of this year, I hope.
                    Sounds good! Did you also note the posts in the BI thread where the posters where giving more credence to the rumors that Codemaster was actually very instrumental in improving OFP before it was released to the public. At this point I would not be surprised if this is true.

Comment

STFU!

i was worried that i was the only one who didnt like this game.

Comment

Sounds good! Did you also note the posts in the BI thread where the posters where giving more credence to the rumors that Codemaster was actually very instrumental in improving OFP before it was released to the public. At this point I would not be surprised if this is true.
                        Yeah, Codemasters was instrumental in providing the majority of the quality control that went into OFP.

@ Jay

It's not that I don't like ArmA, it's simply that I'm not nearly as pleased with it when it was first released. I spose all of the internal hype I experienced has since faded away.

Comment

Sound great!
                          Arma don´t seem to be to popular on the forums , is it even worth buying?

Codemasters produce good games , I remember the game POW that I played some years ago ,Even if I did not understand to much English back then it was fun to sneak around the prison camp and steal things from the guards.
                          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                            Sound great!
                            Arma don´t seem to be to popular on the forums , is it even worth buying?

Codemasters produce good games , I remember the game POW that I played some years ago ,Even if I did not understand to much English back then it was fun to sneak around the prison camp and steal things from the guards.
                            I think you will receive answers to your question ranging from 'hell no!' to 'hell yes!' Have you tried downloading and running the ArmA demo? That might also help you decide if you should purchase ArmA. I like the game, but I'm not a grognard and rarely have time to play it these days (~5-10h/week)...ArmA is good, but not great, and that makes me hesitant to recommend buying the game at this point.

Does anyone know if ArmA will receive further patches in the future to fix the game bugs? Some folks have been saying (spreading rumors!) that now that ArmA2 is in the works BIS has stopped work on ArmA patches? I need to cruise over to the BI forums and see what is up...

Comment

I think you will receive answers to your question ranging from 'hell no!' to 'hell yes!' Have you tried downloading and running the ArmA demo? That might also help you decide if you should purchase ArmA. I like the game, but I'm not a grognard and rarely have time to play it these days (~5-10h/week)...ArmA is good, but not great, and that makes me hesitant to recommend buying the game at this point.

Does anyone know if ArmA will receive further patches in the future to fix the game bugs? Some folks have been saying (spreading rumors!) that now that ArmA2 is in the works BIS has stopped work on ArmA patches? I need to cruise over to the BI forums and see what is up...
                              And my answer would be hell yes. That is if you can find it in the bargin bin.

It has been said that a 1.09 patch is in the works in an attempt to fix the lingering issues related. However, be advised that ArmA2 will be that last retail product by BIS. Thus, that's it on the support side.

Last edited by Marines; 08 Sep 07, 12:35.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X