Greatest FPS games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest FPS games

Here are the best in my estimation. One is even about something besides war. Some of my selections are not agreed upon by gaming insiders. I don’t care about those guys. I want fun.

1. Halo 2: Engaging storyline, characters you care about, desperate battles with the future of humanity in the balance, and you play a guy you KNOW has to be tortured inside. The weapons and equipment are insanely good, the graphics set a new standard, and the total package is just a gaming experience that trumps all. Master Chief never gets the girl...he's too busy killing.

2. Call of Duty, Big Red One: No airborne, no OSS for you. You’re a grunt who does the dirty work and gets sand in his pants, snipers in the trees, and near-impossible objectives instead of medals. A good homage to the most legendary infantry division in the history of the U.S Army. And turning an 88 on the Germans is cool.

3. Brothers in Arms, the Road to Hill 30: A peek into the tortured mind of a squad leader who wants to be anything but. You almost hesitate to send your men into the fight and want to do everything yourself…you just don’t want to see them get killed. Little ammo, little support, but big objectives. You can almost taste the gunpowder residue.

4. Call of Cthulhu, the Dark Corners of the Earth: This is as hard as a game gets. But you can only feel fear and pity for the character you play, who has to save the day against horrific enemies, and you lose your very mind in the process. Your character can’t catch a break, can’t keep his sanity, and keeps losing everyone he tries to protect. This game causes nightmares, and is as scary as any movie I have ever seen. Even scarier than Stealth.

5. Medal of Honor, Frontline: Jimmy Patterson is back, and is once again in over his head. He storms the beach at Normandy (not bad for a glider pilot), jumps into Operation Market Garden, and drives into the heart of Germany to steal a new advanced jet flying wing (which the Germans actually built). Most of the missions are impossible (but are designed to be), the guns are cool, and you have to wonder if Patterson will ever score with the hot French chick from the resistance that he met in the first Medal of Honor game. I doubt it. Reasons are mentioned later.

6. Halo: We meet Master Chief, and we feel the weight of the universe on his armored shoulders. Fighting a losing war against one enemy, only to run into a more terrible one that even makes the Covenant sweat buckets. This game raised the bar higher than my old roomate. It’s another occasion of having to fight a whole war by yourself simply because you’re so good at it.

7. Call of Duty: The PC game that started it all. Jump into Normandy with the 101st, take Pegasus Bridge with the 2nd Ox and Bucks, and charge into Stalingrad when you don’t even have a rifle. Reminds us that a lot of people had to fight to bring Nazi Germany down, and the weapons rock. Besides, running amok in a German POW camp with a sniper rifle looking for a high-priority Brit officer is an underrated hobby.

8. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Like fighting a one-man war against the Third Reich wasn’t tough enough, now the undead decided to join the war effort. You’re Indiana Jones, Brendan Fraser from the Mummy, and a butt-kicking U.S. Army captain all in one. The evil Nazi witch ladies are scantily clad but still fun to kill. Besides, you get to see a cut scene where Heinrich Himmler gets depressed because you screwed his plans. That’s just satisfying.

9. Medal of Honor, European Assault: This is cool. Jimmy Patterson always seemed like a goody two-shoes. Now as William Holt, you fight with the British No.2 Commando, with the Desert Rats, Russian Partisans, and in the Bulge, all in an effort to track down a Nazi general and destroy the dirty bomb he’s developed. Also, one mission has you saving the aforementioned hot French resistance fighter from her German captors, so you know she digs you.

10. Men of Valor: Now you’re a black marine in Vietnam with personal problems. Your hometown friends are in your unit, and your kid brother is a screw-head who doesn’t listen to mom and dad and ends up in Vietnam too. With a great array of Vietnam era weapons (M-16, M-14, Colt M1911, SKS, AK-47, PPSh-41, TT-33 pistol, M60, and the list goes on) this takes you through real-life Vietnam campaigns, such as patrols around Da Nang, Operation Starlight, Defense of Khe Sahn, and the defense and retaking of Hue City. In between missions, you get loads of information about Vietnam; some are text, while others are in documentary form, narrated by actor David Hermann, who narrates any History Channel documentaries. A true must have. And any game that had a Wilson Pickett song in the soundtrack is bound to totally rock.

There are others, but I want you to include them. I am addicted to FPS games, and these top my list. What’s on yours?

Love all.
    "Yellowstain!"

I have to dissent, I don't think any of the games on your list were that great (to me that is). None of them really did much to significantly advance the genre, and I lost interest in most of them pretty quickly.

My list would include (in no particular order)

Doom
    Doom II
    Quake
    Quake II
    Counterstrike (not Half-Life, Half-Life DM was terrible)
    Team Fortress Classic - although I was never a fan of it, it had a big influence on the genre for a mod (second to Counterstrike).
    System Shock I and II
    Deus Ex

There's something else I'm thinking of but I can't quite figure out what it is...
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Maybe

Perhaps...but I love them. They were good company back when I didn't have a girlfriend.

Doom, ah yes..I was addicted to that many moons ago.

Quake? I think I played that once. I should have played it more.

Thanx for your opinions. I don't make posts so that everyone can agree with me. I appreciate contrary opinions.

Got love.
      "Yellowstain!"

Comment

At the risk of being boring and repetetive - Far Cry is fantastic. Not for the plot, but for the graphics, the insane draw-distances, not to mention the intelligent AI of the enemy guards who would actually use proper tactics to hunt you down, squeeze you in a pincer movement and generally do anything but stand there and get shot.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

hmmm... My favs (some I still play when I get a chance):

Wolfenstein: I bought it the next day after playing the demo.

DOOM: Those flying meatballs still give me the creeps.

Quake: My wife wouldn't stay in the room with me when I played it in the dark. For sheer online fun, I fell in love with the KQP (Birth of the Grappling hook!). Gibs for all!

Codename Eagle (and the entire BF series): For creating a genre that so many other games tried before and failed by marrying FPS and arcade-sim in a multiplayer environment. It would end up giving birth to the BF series and it's associated mods (The best of which IMO is Point of Existence - Some of the best online fun I've had).

HALO: You hit it on the head.

FARCRY: I almost wept tears of joy at the graphics and AI.
          Last edited by Arkane; 20 May 06, 12:14.
          Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Battlefield 2

Back in 1998 or so I bought my first computer for around $2000.00 and I bought it because a friend of mine let me play a game called Delta Force, which for me at that time was so much cooler than anything I had ever played. Today that game looks silly.
            Another game that was really good 6-8 years ago was Aliens vs Predator i remember putting the movie on my TV and playing the game at the same time.
            In all honesty walking around with a pulse rifle shooting Aliens is pretty damn cool, and when the beep, beep, beep of my motion sensor got louder and faster it kinda gave me chills....

I wish Fox would remake that game with todays graphics, i would buy it in a second.

I also enjoyed Battlefield 2, Call of Duty and some of the Ghost Recon games.

CD
            "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

'Painkiller' is a personal favourite. Great level design, imaginative weaponry and a nice line in weird enemies make for some superb gameplay.

'Black' is a game I've been playing a lot recently. Some of the best graphics yet for last-gen consoles together with some over-the-top action make it one of the few games I've played that has made me laugh out loud.
              Signing out.

Comment

My favorite are the Battlefield games.
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death
                  Another game that was really good 6-8 years ago was Aliens vs Predator i remember putting the movie on my TV and playing the game at the same time.
                  In all honesty walking around with a pulse rifle shooting Aliens is pretty damn cool, and when the beep, beep, beep of my motion sensor got louder and faster it kinda gave me chills....

I wish Fox would remake that game with todays graphics, i would buy it in a second.
                  CD
                  That game would be amazing now with advances in graphics and netcode. There have been teams that have tried to mod other games (bf42, etc..) however Fox's lawyers always hit them with cease and desists. Too bad Colonial Marines never hit the streets.
                  Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

AvP was a great game. I don't think I've had as much fun as that game on a LAN, playing a skirmish mission against endless aliens with 4 or 5 other people. The bunker level was our favorite, we'd rush from the downed ship to hole up in the bunker together and hold off the aliens.

My favorite memory of that level is when one of my friends thought it would be brilliant to be a dedicated flamethrower marine and he gets to the bunker before we realize. Next thing we know he shouts "There's an alien on top!" and then proceeds to light us most of us on fire, light himself on fire, light one alien on fire, and destroy the entire bunker...
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by Overseer
                      AvP was a great game. I don't think I've had as much fun as that game on a LAN, playing a skirmish mission against endless aliens with 4 or 5 other people. The bunker level was our favorite, we'd rush from the downed ship to hole up in the bunker together and hold off the aliens.

My favorite memory of that level is when one of my friends thought it would be brilliant to be a dedicated flamethrower marine and he gets to the bunker before we realize. Next thing we know he shouts "There's an alien on top!" and then proceeds to light us most of us on fire, light himself on fire, light one alien on fire, and destroy the entire bunker...

Well what can we do about getting this game moving. You would think after how great the movie was a few years ago (sarcasm) that the would have tried to make a game along with it.
                      Trust me nothing sounds cooler than a pulse rifle, laying waste to some aliens. Well except the shrill cries of Bill Paxton (Hudson)...Game over man Game over......

CD
                      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I suppose they just don't feel like doing a third game in the series, although I thought the others did fairly well. The other problem may just be that another one would be arguably more of the same, although an updated engine and such would be greatly appreciated. On the other hand, more of the same has never stopped the game industry before.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                          At the risk of being boring and repetetive - Far Cry is fantastic. Not for the plot, but for the graphics, the insane draw-distances, not to mention the intelligent AI of the enemy guards who would actually use proper tactics to hunt you down, squeeze you in a pincer movement and generally do anything but stand there and get shot.

Dr. S.
                          I'm such a blithering idiot!!!

I forgot Farcry Instincts!!! How could I have done that?

Excuse me now...I'm going to go play Farcry Instincts and hopefully that will count as pennance.

Love all.
                          "Yellowstain!"

Comment

system shock II for dang sure
                            far cry is great
                            avp2 even if didnt advance the genre
                            dark forces for making star wars a viable fps game
                            ghost recon and rainbow six games

Comment

It seems this game has no end to new editions.....

http://media.xbox.gamespy.com/media/...49/vids_1.html

JIM
                              If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
                              RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X