Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

ACG Article: Red Orchestra: Are you a Panzer Leader or Panzer Loser?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACG Article: Red Orchestra: Are you a Panzer Leader or Panzer Loser?

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I play these multiplayer games and the frustration level just sends me to my keyboard to vent (this happened last with Battlefield 2 - another game I loved). This time I've been playing Red Orchestra on the tank-only maps and noticed that many guys just didn't know what to do out there... While I don't fault anyone for being a newbie (my first couple of runs into the field were pretty embarrassing too!)...I also took note of that scourge of online games -- sometimes called TK'er, sometimes called jack ass (or worse), and which I call a Panzer Loser in this game. This article is written to help players become better panzer pushers while at the same time noting the problems caused by panzer losers out there.

ACG Article: Panzer Leaders

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Thank you for taking time to write this article. I have only skimmed the article but already found several of your excellent tips and pointers to playing a tanker in ROOST!
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

I have read your article about RO and observed it was exactly
      how I liked/disliked the game. In my opinion, RO is better as
      a team-oriented multiplayer based game rather then as single
      player or just online play on a server. COD/COD2 are fun to just
      run & gun but RO is something more. It reminds me of the 949th
      play we had on JOTR (extremely fun) where about 8 0r 9 of us
      did the outfit advancing with voice communications. Most younger
      (non vet) players don't know or use real tactics in wargaming.
      They mostly rely on high scoring where your kill to death ratio is
      around 5 or 6 to 1. Nice but not real by any means....

JIM
      If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
      RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

Thanks for checking out my article.

I didn't comment on this because it is tertiary to my thoughts on armor, but I agree completely about the team element. In my experience, the game that got teamplay the "most" right was BF2 with things organized by squad and led by a commander. However, that game got on my nerves because of the abuses that were possible in the game itself. However, when the game was firing on all cylinders with good squad mates, it was heaven.

I think RO has the same potential, but is just a little less refined in its presentation. It also has the same potential problems as noted by the drive-the-recon-and-bail-with-satchel move that is more and more common. Plus with BF2 if you had some idiot join you in the tank all he could do was use the MG - whereas RO he can get you into all sorts of trouble.

I know I sound like a selfish bugger in the article, but I honestly don't mind playing with other people in my tank as long as they are trying to actually win...rather than drive us both into the river, or act as a delivery service for someone.

Originally posted by FAdmiral
        I have read your article about RO and observed it was exactly
        how I liked/disliked the game. In my opinion, RO is better as
        a team-oriented multiplayer based game rather then as single
        player or just online play on a server. COD/COD2 are fun to just
        run & gun but RO is something more. It reminds me of the 949th
        play we had on JOTR (extremely fun) where about 8 0r 9 of us
        did the outfit advancing with voice communications. Most younger
        (non vet) players don't know or use real tactics in wargaming.
        They mostly rely on high scoring where your kill to death ratio is
        around 5 or 6 to 1. Nice but not real by any means....

JIM
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Here are some of my screenshots from the other night playing in
          the practice mode (single player):

Scratch 1 Tiger

Tiger goes BOOM

Anti-Tank Rifle in Action

Lying in wait for some Germans

Scratch 2 Germans

I observed the AI players doing the same thing you mentioned.
          Diving tanks willy-nilly or just firing the main gun over & over.
          I hope this being Tripwires first stand-alone game produced, they
          will listen to the game buyers and make some necessary adjustments
          in an upcoming patch.

JIM
          If you're not taking losses, you're not doing enough.
          RAdm. Kelly Turner, USN

www.fairtax.org

Comment

In the SP game the AI does suck, but I can only see improvement over the mod's practice AI, where saying it is a shooting gallery is generous.

Most of the time, you won't find good Public servers with great tactics. Sometimes, I find a server with great cohesion. But in most games the best strategy used for tanking is "Scatter like cockroaches; maybe the guy in the IS-2 won't notice!"

Comment

1. Automatic reload of the main gun should be mandatory – without needing you to sit in the gunner position. This will allow one player to more accurately operate each tank. If you fire the gun and move to the driver’s seat, the gun should still reload.
              2. Increase number of tanks to match each real player who wants one. This will reduce the use of our tanks as taxis. This will also reduce the standing around that happens on larger servers.
              3. Require an invite to join a tank. "Joe-Loser wishes to board your tank. Unlock? Y/N." I hate to sound selfish, but if I want to play the game as a Lone Wolf I should have that option. This would also help friends keep 3rd parties out of their tanks.
              4. Allow infantry to ride on top of tanks so they can jump off closer to the action. (combined arms)
              5. Introduce additional modes of play. This game desperately needs a mission-based mode. Take this hill, defend this town, destroy all enemies, etc. where armor-infantry cooperation actually matters or where you can’t simply get back in another tank after charging blindly over the hill.
              6. Smoke canisters for tanks to hide yourself in dire situations. Smoke rounds for main gun to obscure your movements from the enemy.
              7. Reduce detonation radius of satchel charges. It is very difficult to move far enough away from a satchel charge even if you know it is there – making them a favorite (and only) tactic of some players.
              8. Show friendly tanks on the minimap. A real tank unit would have enough communications to be able to read out their locations. In the game, this is supposed to be done by voice – but not everyone has or uses voice comms. This would help get units to the action faster.
              9. A minimal level of destructable terrain. Wooden fences deflecting AP rounds kills the realism.
              10. This may be pie-in-the-sky, but I would love to see custom skins for tanks. Each player would essentially bring his "own" tank to the battle – complete with whatever camo pattern, side skirting, accessories, etc., he can think up.
              Thought I'd quickly pick up on your points - a little late, of course

1. We want to encourage people to crew tanks properly - and not make it as easy to solo. But I can see the odd server-side option creeping in here.
              2. Possibly - really depends on the load the servers can stand Under debat in the office!
              3. Also under debate...
              4. Will certainly happen... in an update
              5. It is already "mission-based" - you have a series of objectives to take/defend - so I may be missing the point here!?
              6. Not many tanks had smoke dischargers - mostly German, late-war. Very few carried smoke rounds. However, smoke will defo appear...
              7. Looking at ways to reduce satchel-spamming...
              8. I hadn't thought of this one - quite like it, actually
              9. Destructible terrain is a pain in the UT2.5 engine - each piece has to be made and coded separately and more than a few can kill servers. Bugger.
              10. Ummm... yup... another year

Cheers - thanks for the write-up!

Alan Wilson
              VP, Tripwire Interactive

Comment

Alan, thanks for visiting the forums! From your responses it looks like the team is working hard on putting some new features in the game. Can't wait .
                "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
                - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
                - Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X