1944 D-Day mod for HL2 (and BF2?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1944 D-Day mod for HL2 (and BF2?)

The website is a bit unorganized but iirc they are working on this mod for HL2 and BF2. The mod sounds impressive (The FAQS state the game covers 160x160km and the AI controls over 250,000 units!). I hope they can pull this off.

http://www.1944game.com/press.html

from the website:
    "1944 D-Day Operation Overlord is the simulation of an event. It does not strive to tell the story of one unit or one squad. Instead it endeavours to tell the story of the battle. The game at its core is driven by a highly adaptable AI system, this AI system controls over 250,000 units in real-time. Moving them all around the battlefield and adapting their orders, objectives and tasks to an every evolving battlefield.

As the player the game is in your control. You have the ability to choose from any unit in the battlefield, so you will always find something interesting to take part in. If you are a war nut, fan of tanks, planes, infantry or squad based combat, or just interested in large scale first person shooters. 1944 D-Day Operation Overlord will always have something distinct and interesting to offer you."

multiplayer FAQ
    "The Multiplayer system takes the single player game. And runs the server element of the game on the server (The game is programmed as a server client system).

With the AI being handled soley on the Server, we can now go into far more detail on the management of units, easily allowing alot more units to play the game.

As the clock starts at 00:00 the server restricts the units to a specific region. So for example the server could be created to follow the paths of x number of Squads. When the player wishes to spawn into the battle area, they must select a unit within this cireteria. This limitation is imposed so that player has a much greater likelyhood of interacting with Human players. After all 160x160 km of terrain is great distance to travel to meet up with some buddies, so we aim to restrict the play field based on how the server is setup. Bear in mind that some of the premium servers will be capable of running MMO games, so you can expect the entire battle field to be selected."
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out on that one, thanks for the heads up!
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
      Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out on that one, thanks for the heads up!
      My thoughts too.

I didn't know there was room for another WWII FPS HL2 mod - but I guess we will see....
      "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
      - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
      - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
        My thoughts too.

I didn't know there was room for another WWII FPS HL2 mod - but I guess we will see....
        yeah, yet another D-day FPS!?

The claim to fame for this potential release seems to be the ability for MMO play and realism...if their FAQs state the truth.
        All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles
          yeah, yet another D-day FPS!?

The claim to fame for this potential release seems to be the ability for MMO play and realism...if their FAQs state the truth.
          Hopefully, but Red Orchestra is still king for now, at least in my book. Besides, I find storming the towering Crimean fortresses in 1942 more fun than storming the beaches of Normandy (again) in 1944.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X