COD2 Review at Armchair General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COD2 Review at Armchair General

I just had to play this game, as I was a big fan of the original. Very high marks given.

COD 2 Review at Armchair General
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Just read it, those graphics look great. I am torn between COD2, and Rome:Barbarian Invasions.
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

I played a COD2 demo on the XBox360 at Wal-Mart.

The graphics and sounds are amazing, the controls are simple to use and easy to learn.

I'm thinking about going back just to play it again.
      Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Comment

good review, sounds like you enjoyed the game.

but..........

as impressive as the graphics are, my system with a 5900 ultra just could not digest the DX9 mode. with default settings, game looked ok, but when i lowered the texture quality to anything other than high or extra, the game looked terrible. switching to DX7 mode, i could run the game at max, with AF on and AAx4, it looked very good. snow, and trees made things run a little slow, but is worth it.

i liked the different missions in the game, but they repeat themselves after a while. not a terrible thing, but i did get that 'havent i just done this' feeling during the game. the african missions where very cool, and a nice change of pace.

battle for hill 400 was the most infuriating part of the game for me. very cool mission, but the AI of my squadmates is terrible. i believe the AI gets worse as the game goes on. i found that i had to become rambo just to clear out an area, or in the case of hill 400, beat the game!

the weapons in the game are a mix bag. one hand, they added the semi-auto which is nice, but overall i thought they were crap. they lacked killing power, and not being able to switch rate of fire was a bummer. but i'm probably used to the realistic weapons mod that i was playing in CoD!! the BAR is a huge disappointment, and found myself using the MP44 more often.

one thing you didnt mention was the enemy grenade indicator. maybe because it was a huge piece of crap, that you were trying to forget it, that sounds right.

no new multiplayer modes is a big disappointment too, but overall, the game is alot of fun, and i did enjoy myself. if you likes CoD, then you need to pick up CoD2 for sure!!

Comment

nice article!

yeah, good comment about the tank battle aspect. The battle range of ~2m in the pictures makes the armor battle appear pathetic! yeah, the Panzer III or IV would serve better in the role of main battle tank in N. Africa. The Germans knew the Panzer II was no match for allied tanks and only used it for recon.
          All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423
            battle for hill 400 was the most infuriating part of the game for me. very cool mission, but the AI of my squadmates is terrible. i believe the AI gets worse as the game goes on. i found that i had to become rambo just to clear out an area, or in the case of hill 400, beat the game!
            I think the problem with Hill 400 relative to the other missions is because that one had a circle to defend vs. having a building to defend like most of the other "defensive" missions. The AI probably wasn't programmed to deal well with alternating avenues of advance. In that regard I would agree with you - and in fact when I played Hill 400 I just assumed I was alone out there.

The AI is much better suited to fighting along one axis of attack/defense rather than in the open. However, for the allied side this is almost a moot point since you really can't count on your guys to do much more than get the occasional lucky shot in. That is why I describe the squads as a "lite" version.

I didn't want to nitpick because my primary concern was the fun factor, but this game could have been much better if it was a little less linear (for example you could usually only proceed up one street, can't go down side alleys, and so forth). However, many of the levels did offer the opportunity to clear the town/bunkers/etc in any order you preferred - so it wasn't strictly an on-the-rail type of a game. I can imagine how hard it would be to prepare the entire town of Bergstein so that you could take any street, enter any building, etc. If the whole game was stricly a rail ride, I probably would have knocked a full 10 points off the gameplay. I despise those...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles
              nice article!

yeah, good comment about the tank battle aspect. The battle range of ~2m in the pictures makes the armor battle appear pathetic! yeah, the Panzer III or IV would serve better in the role of main battle tank in N. Africa. The Germans knew the Panzer II was no match for allied tanks and only used it for recon.
              It is sort of funny actually - because your group of Crusader tanks crest a ridge and start getting knocked out by as yet unseen German tanks. As you get closer more tanks get knocked out - until finally you are close enough to both see and shoot at the enemy tanks. Suprise all around when you finally see what you are up against.

I was on the fence as to whether to hit them hard with this because is it technically detracting from gameplay? Hard to speak for the average gamer, but it definitely did for me. I think I am going to have to go back and edit my score ever so slightly downward for this aspect. Upon reflection, if I (as a military historian) let this one go by, I would be remiss in my duties. Nothing major (35/40 vs. 37/40 previously), and I still loved the game a lot, but they need to invest more in their military advisors. Schoolchildren are going to grow up thinking the Panzer II was the workhorse of the German Panzer forces. We can't allow that!

Comment

All it means really is that they did a really bad choice of models. My guess - they liked that model better than the other one for some silly reason, so they went with them. Or the advisor was just way behind on his tank recognition.

Arguably doesn't ruin the gameplay, just the atmosphere for those more in the know (which is probably about 10% of CoD2's audience).
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                  All it means really is that they did a really bad choice of models. My guess - they liked that model better than the other one for some silly reason, so they went with them. Or the advisor was just way behind on his tank recognition.

Arguably doesn't ruin the gameplay, just the atmosphere for those more in the know (which is probably about 10% of CoD2's audience).
                  I agree, and I am really torn on the issue...but in the end I decided to score it as it affected me, not as it might affect others. This is much harder to quantify in a historical title as opposed to something like Quake 4. Side by side, COD2 beats the crap out of Q4, even WITH Panzer II's LOL.

Comment

I actually got a chance to try a bit of CoD2 earlier, I have to say I'm actually kind of unimpressed. Something about the engine just doesn't feel very comfortable for me. I do like the absolute chaos and the fact that it doesn't seem like you really have much affect on what's going on, but I feel like it's almost a little too chaotic (like when I shoot at the bad guys and it doesn't seem to matter). And just something about the way everything moves I don't really like much. But that's just me.

speaking of which... I'm supposed to send you something aren't I!? Bah, maybe I'll write something up tomorrow during a study break.
                    Last edited by Overseer; 09 Nov 05, 00:35.
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
                      I didn't want to nitpick because my primary concern was the fun factor, but this game could have been much better if it was a little less linear (for example you could usually only proceed up one street, can't go down side alleys, and so forth). However, many of the levels did offer the opportunity to clear the town/bunkers/etc in any order you preferred - so it wasn't strictly an on-the-rail type of a game. I can imagine how hard it would be to prepare the entire town of Bergstein so that you could take any street, enter any building, etc. If the whole game was stricly a rail ride, I probably would have knocked a full 10 points off the gameplay. I despise those...
                      even though the missions were a little cookie-cutter like, i did enjoy them. the town fighting, clearing out bunkers/buildings stuff was my favorite aspect of the game. in the original, i the British missions were my favorite, and they were in this game as well. i really enjoyed them the most, tank mission excluded of course.

as much as i got upset with this game, i did beat it in one sitting, so it must have done something right, cause i rarely play a game thru like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jayedub7423

as much as i got upset with this game, i did beat it in one sitting, so it must have done something right, cause i rarely play a game thru like that.
                        I salute you! It took me 3 nights.

Something I almost never do in single player is go back in using a harder difficulty setting. For this game I have already gone back and replayed a few of the missions. I haven't been brave enough to go in using "General" difficulty though.

Comment

the amount of times i died at the end of the game..............
                          man, i dont know if my heart can take playing on general level.

Comment

My favorite part of call of duty 2 is the multi player. I dont like how they did away with the base assault game and tanks as drivable vehicles, not just things to hide behind.

Comment

I'm a couple missions into the American segment now, and all i can say is that this game is INTENSE.The "Defend the building till reinforcements arrive" does get tedious, and has given me several more grey hairs,but my major gripe is how come it takes very little to bring me down,but i can spray the enemy with gun fire and they keep coming?I would think that if i was raked by anMP-40 i would probably fall to the ground bemoaning the fact that i had holes all over me spewing blood! the enemy on the other hand can absorbe a full blast,fall to their knees,get back up and kill me!It aint human i tell you it aint human. i'm really enjoying the game though.
                              i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X