Quake 4 Review at Armchair General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 4 Review at Armchair General

I put down my web duties long enough to get through the latest Quake title. See what you think.

Quake 4 Review
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

So...looks very nice but a bit shallow. Hmmm...

Great review BTW!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Doc. I've had no game in recent memory that I WANTED to like as much as this one. However, when every room and "gimmick" felt like stuff out of other games and movies (is this game about Strogg or the Borg?) it became really hard to ignore it's flaws.

They say every story has already been written...but this is pushing that to extremes.

Comment

I should probably point out, the game wasn't technically made by iD Software.

Quake 4’s story would have worked back in the late 90’s, but I don’t think it’s too unreasonable for this day and age to demand a little bit of an extra effort from companies as well-known as Id.
        While I'm sure they had a lot of say in what happened, it was developed by another company's team.

I really want to try the multiplayer out for this, but I can't afford to put the money down on it just yet, although I'd love to see if I would also compare it to UT or not. I tend to be very particular about how an engine feels compared to competitors and if the engine did have a more UT feel, I'd be extremely disappointed (I don't believe any game has ever met the multiplayer of the Quake series - although I don't think any Quake met the multiplayer of the first Quake).
        To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
          I put down my web duties long enough to get through the latest Quake title. See what you think.

Quake 4 Review
          good writeup.
          All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
            I should probably point out, the game wasn't technically made by iD Software.

While I'm sure they had a lot of say in what happened, it was developed by another company's team.

I really want to try the multiplayer out for this, but I can't afford to put the money down on it just yet, although I'd love to see if I would also compare it to UT or not. I tend to be very particular about how an engine feels compared to competitors and if the engine did have a more UT feel, I'd be extremely disappointed (I don't believe any game has ever met the multiplayer of the Quake series - although I don't think any Quake met the multiplayer of the first Quake).
            While I don't make much differentiation between Id and Raven in my article, your point is well taken. However, Id certainly had a close eye on the development, and this is their franchise so I feel OK putting the onus of quality control on Id rather than specifically on their sub-contractor.

Comment

While I don't make much differentiation between Id and Raven in my article, your point is well taken. However, Id certainly had a close eye on the development, and this is their franchise so I feel OK putting the onus of quality control on Id rather than specifically on their sub-contractor.
              True, I'm sure they had pretty good say in everything, I just thought I'd point out the distinction. I mean it's not like Doom 3 represented an revolution in SP gameplay... of course, it's not HL2 did either. Unfortunately, neither did FEAR.
              To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.

Comment

True, I'm sure they had pretty good say in everything, I just thought I'd point out the distinction. I mean it's not like Doom 3 represented an revolution in SP gameplay... of course, it's not HL2 did either. Unfortunately, neither did FEAR.
                Far Cry did!

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I'm not an expert in UT2004 although I did play a fair bit of it when it first came out. The multiplayer in Q4 has the same look and feel as UT2004 (vibrant uniforms, similar textures, sort of game show atmosphere), including the male announcer (Killing spree!), it seems to be about as fast, and the physics seem similar. I'm sure someone has probably done a scientific analysis of the differences, but from what I've seen they are more similar than dissimilar. This is not to say this is a bad thing...just my observation.

Comment

I'm not an expert in UT2004 although I did play a fair bit of it when it first came out. The multiplayer in Q4 has the same look and feel as UT2004 (vibrant uniforms, similar textures, sort of game show atmosphere), including the male announcer (Killing spree!), it seems to be about as fast, and the physics seem similar. I'm sure someone has probably done a scientific analysis of the differences, but from what I've seen they are more similar than dissimilar. This is not to say this is a bad thing...just my observation.
                    I actually always felt that Quake 3 (and the previous quake games) were actually faster action but with a smoother control than the UT games, but that might just be me.

Comment

In reading other reviews on other sites, I see that some people actual hype the fact that this game is a "return to basics" in its approach. While I like a good fragging game as much as the next bloke, I just don't buy into the "it's so stripped down, it's charming" thought process. I can only think of one or two places in the entire game where I had the choice of taking two separate doors to get where I was going. The other 99% of the game you had EXACTLY one route to follow. It is certainly easier to program a game like that...but the lack of sophistication really shows.

I guess my whole issue here is that when you have the equivalent of a big-budget Hollywood studio backing your game, I see no reason why they shouldn't pull out all the stops and make this game something phenomenal. Instead, it is almost as if they found the lowest bidder, paid them in donkeys, and didn't care that this adds nothing of real value to the Quake universe.

Maybe I'm just getting too old LOL.

Comment

In reading other reviews on other sites, I see that some people actual hype the fact that this game is a "return to basics" in its approach. While I like a good fragging game as much as the next bloke, I just don't buy into the "it's so stripped down, it's charming" thought process. I can only think of one or two places in the entire game where I had the choice of taking two separate doors to get where I was going. The other 99% of the game you had EXACTLY one route to follow. It is certainly easier to program a game like that...but the lack of sophistication really shows.

I guess my whole issue here is that when you have the equivalent of a big-budget Hollywood studio backing your game, I see no reason why they shouldn't pull out all the stops and make this game something phenomenal. Instead, it is almost as if they found the lowest bidder, paid them in donkeys, and didn't care that this adds nothing of real value to the Quake universe.

No I agree completely. At least almost completely. I agree mostly, how about that? I think hyping a return to the basics works for multiplay in my opinion. I've been pining for a good old fashion deathmatch for a long time. And I would be fine if they said, well this game is gonna be all about bringing a rocking multiplayer experience, and we'll throw in a single player for while you're sitting around and don't feel like joining a server. But Quake IV was touted as being very focused on the single player, and I think when you do that you're required to either one make it a really interesting experience, or two go the Serious Sam route, make it so over-the-top return to the basics that it's an insane amount of fun..... while making it slightly cheaper than most games (I do believe that the Serious Sam games are usually $10 or $20 cheaper than a big title release).

Comment

Argh! No! Don't say that or you'll doom all of us 1971 people.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

As they said in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back;

"You're like a child. What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture. But then sometimes you gotta do the payback picture because your friend says you owe him. "

Quake 4 is the "safe picture." I couldn't spell out the analogy in my article, but this is what I was thinking when I wrote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                              Argh! No! Don't say that or you'll doom all of us 1971 people.

Dr. S.
                              I was looking at applying for a job somewhere recently. And they had the line for birthdate, it was an online application, so they had an example to show what date format to put in your date... and the example birthday was younger than me...

And then there was the time at my old job two-ish years ago, where people were starting to work there that were born the same year as Aliens I mean seriously, born the same year as Aliens and working in a job!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X