Wolfenstein 3D mod asks if its OK to shoot Nazis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfenstein 3D mod asks if its OK to shoot Nazis

Nazis, said Indiana Jones. I hate these guys. One of the great, smirking asides in action cinema. For the past 70 years there has been no more reliable bad guy in pop culture than the Nazi.

We never argued about the propriety of punching them, pushing them into an airplane propeller or melting their faces off when Dr. Jones was doing it in the Reagan 1980s. Yet today, thanks to social media and Reddit and the innate contrarianism of comment culture, here we are: Some racist who graduated from the University of Chicago (Indys alma mater!) caught an MMA elbow to the face at the inauguration, and now were having a nice Donahue-style, virtue-signaling rhubarb about whether that was OK.

This satirical mod for 1992s Wolfenstein 3D, which obligates B.J. Blazkowicz to reason with Nazis with constructive dialogue before opening fire, illustrates the uselessness of it all. The mod was made by Ramsey Nasser, a Tennessee native with Lebanese citizenship.
    Polygon - Full Article

I play Fallout Los Vegas where I play a gal who's not trigger shy. Point is its a game, A really good one, but I don't do it in real life...

Much like I don't go wandering around in sexy negligees...

She does...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I had a prof. at Purdue who had left Germany in '37 with his family. Went to Palestine and in '39 he joined the Jewish Brigade of the British Army. Fought in North Africa and Italy. Later he taught at Sandhurst before moving to the US. One time he told me "Killing Nazis was a good thing then and it's STILL A GOOD IDEA!" I didn't argue.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Problem is you wouldn't know a Nazi if you saw one.

Only in computer games do they still wear the convenient Hugo Boss uniforms.

If one was to post here on the ACG, and keep his trap shut about Hitler and the Jews, only talk about contemporary issues, how would you know ?

Edit, say you get to ask three questions to "find the Nazi" - what would they be ?
        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          Problem is you wouldn't know a Nazi if you saw one.

Only in computer games do they still wear the convenient Hugo Boss uniforms.

If one was to post here on the ACG, and keep his trap shut about Hitler and the Jews, only talk about contemporary issues, how would you know ?

Edit, say you get to ask three questions to "find the Nazi" - what would they be ?
          They usually give themselves away, one even specifically admitted that they were. But even if they don't self declare they will tend to bring Jews/Israel into a thread where they have no obvious relevance or post links to Nazi like imagery or known anti Semitic/neo Nazi websites to support their position. They are not hard to spot.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            They usually give themselves away, one even specifically admitted that they were. But even if they don't self declare they will tend to bring Jews/Israel into a thread where they have no obvious relevance or post links to Nazi like imagery or known anti Semitic/neo Nazi websites to support their position. They are not hard to spot.
            Well yes - or they have "18" tattooed in their neck or wear a little swastika as a necklace, and claim it's a reference to Indian symbolism.

But assuming the smartest among them don't have such tell-tale signs, could you tell a Nazi from a non-Nazi by simply engaging in political /philosophical discussion ?

I doubt it.
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
              Well yes - or they have "18" tattooed in their neck or wear a little swastika as a necklace, and claim it's a reference to Indian symbolism.

But assuming the smartest among them don't have such tell-tale signs, could you tell a Nazi from a non-Nazi by simply engaging in political /philosophical discussion ?

I doubt it.
              They aren't that smart.....
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

So you would define a Nazi only by his actions - not by his convictions or opinions ?

Someone who doesn't visit Semitic/neo Nazi websites (why would he, they're filled with idiots), doesn't go on about the Jews (They're mostly in Israel anyway - where they belong) or Hitler (that bastard screwed our chances of beating the liberals and the communists in the last war) -

but still believes the strong have the right exploit the weak for instance - (since that is the natural order of things after all),

Nazi or not ?

Comment

Snow, as usual you are taking a simple situation and making it complicated.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The road to hell is paved with simplifications..

But I do take your point, I'm off for a drink and will concentrate my efforts on a forum game tomorrow, see ya

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X