ARMA 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARMA 2

Anyone familiar with this game? I'm thinking about picking it up.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Think I played it once - several Playstations linked together iirc,

I mostly remember hiding in the kitchen of a flattened house running from window to window trying to bring down a couple of player controlled helos with a rifle -

pretty much par for the course as a newbie in an online FPS

I seem to remember it being technically rather well done though.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

I'm insulted for the franchise that this is under FPS rather then under simulation.

ARMA is by far the best land based simulator ever published and one of the top tactical games of all times. Back in the day some of us used to run games together, before we all got too busy.

ARMA 2 is now a solid game, with a few expansions and a solid community contribution that makes the game playable for eternity, however, some of the graphics are a little dated now (it has been like 6 years since it was released) ARMA 3 is much more advanced in terms of graphics, engine, etc. but being a little newer (2~ years) it still isn't fully developed and doesn't have as much (though definitely a significant) community contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
        I'm insulted for the franchise that this is under FPS rather then under simulation.

ARMA is by far the best land based simulator ever published and one of the top tactical games of all times. Back in the day some of us used to run games together, before we all got too busy.

ARMA 2 is now a solid game, with a few expansions and a solid community contribution that makes the game playable for eternity, however, some of the graphics are a little dated now (it has been like 6 years since it was released) ARMA 3 is much more advanced in terms of graphics, engine, etc. but being a little newer (2~ years) it still isn't fully developed and doesn't have as much (though definitely a significant) community contribution.
        I ordered the Arma 2 Combined pack as Arma 3 is hard to find at the moment. I'm interested in the Day Z mod, too.

Any recommendations for mods? There hordes of them out there.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Oded, they completely separated the commercial from the military. The engine is the same but the development is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            I ordered the Arma 2 Combined pack as Arma 3 is hard to find at the moment. I'm interested in the Day Z mod, too.

arma 3 is on my list in a couple weeks when I upgrade my comp

Comment

ARMA 3 is only available on Steam, that's probably why you can't find it. Day Z is available as a stand alone too rather then a mod of ARMA2.

It's been a while since I played so some new and better mods must have popped up since, but you'r question has to be a little more narrow, there are mods covering everything from Rome to Starship Troopers, tell me what you're interests are first...

For starters, you can never go wrong with Invasion 1944 (a WWII mod)

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
              Oded, they completely separated the commercial from the military. The engine is the same but the development is completely different.
              Yeah, I know that VBS differs from ARMA, still, ARMA is a simulation.

Comment

Yeah, I know that VBS differs from ARMA, still, ARMA is a simulation.
                I've been working with this stuff too long.....they are all games to me..

Comment

ARMA 3 is only available on Steam, that's probably why you can't find it. Day Z is available as a stand alone too rather then a mod of ARMA2.

It's been a while since I played so some new and better mods must have popped up since, but you'r question has to be a little more narrow, there are mods covering everything from Rome to Starship Troopers, tell me what you're interests are first...

For starters, you can never go wrong with Invasion 1944 (a WWII mod)

I hadn't heard about that one...WW2 definitely.

I thought DayZ had to be played online with Arma 2 Combined arms?

I would say WW2 and later, since the emphasis is on realism.

Comment

It used to be that way, but I think by now they already came out with the stand alone game.

In that case I'd recommend starting with the Vanilla game, after a while try Invasion44 (the WWII one), Unsung (Vietnam) and ACE (increased realism) by then you should have the community figured out, and a well maintained addiction that you'll probably be able to find your own way.

Comment

It used to be that way, but I think by now they already came out with the stand alone game.

In that case I'd recommend starting with the Vanilla game, after a while try Invasion44 (the WWII one), Unsung (Vietnam) and ACE (increased realism) by then you should have the community figured out, and a well maintained addiction that you'll probably be able to find your own way.
                      I'll do that. Thank you!

Comment

Well, I got it in.

Haven't loaded it onto the computer, but just the quick-reference card for the commands sent a chill down my spine.

Comment

Well, I got it in.

Haven't loaded it onto the computer, but just the quick-reference card for the commands sent a chill down my spine.
                          Yeah, there's definitely a steep learning curve...but you'll get used to it eventually.

Comment

OK, got both the basic game and Combined Arms loaded and logged, and poked around a little in the Armory and Basic Training. Mostly I worked with the video settings to eliminate lag time between command and action because the program didn't adjust itself to my PC.

By going 3rd person I got it down to a useable level.

Now we'll see how it plays. I intended to do basic training, then try out a couple scenarios. DayZ is in my future, I hope.

Comment

Keep us posted. I'm looking for something new to play. I'm seriously considering the new WWI aerial combat mod to MS Flight Sim. Haven't flown anything for a long time.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X