Death of Guitar Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Guitar Hero

How low this game has fallen. It came out with a huge bang.

I kind of expected this. War based games rule the gaming world and will continue to do so.

So what will people do with their expensive eqpt they purchased?

Iconic 'Guitar Hero' video game gets the ax

By The Associated Press 2011 The Associated Press

Feb. 9, 2011, 5:18PM

NEW YORK These days, guns are more popular than guitars, at least when it comes to video games. The company behind "Guitar Hero" said Wednesday that it is pulling the plug on one of the most influential video game titles of the new century.
    Activision Blizzard Inc., which also produces the "Call of Duty" series, is ending the "Guitar Hero" franchise after a run of more than five years. The move follows Viacom Inc.'s decision in November to sell its money-losing unit behind the "Rock Band" video games. Harmonix was sold to an investment firm for an undisclosed sum. Harmonix, incidentally, was behind the first "Guitar Hero" game.

Read full story at:
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/7420397.html
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Death of Guitar Hero

Just heard on the radio that the manufacturers of Guitar Hero have announced that due to poor sales that they have scrapped Guitar Hero, a new line of GH was to be released at the end of the year, but that has been scrapped

Has anyone heard anything about this.

Roddoss72

Comment

I just read the article at Yahoo.com. I have to say, while I understand the decision, I am bummed out. I LOVE playing GH and Rock Band. Yeah, it's expensive to get into, but once you have the peripherals, it's easy. Plus, I don't play an instrument, so this is as close to a rock god as I will ever become :-)
      "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
      And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

I, for one, will continue to play. I don't play an instrument, so this is as close to a rock god as I will become :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
          I, for one, will continue to play. I don't play an instrument, so this is as close to a rock god as I will become :-)
          Agreed. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are about the only games I play on a console...and they happen to also be the only games my family plays with me. However, there's still plenty of music we haven't bought yet, so I'm sure well be quite happy to play with the existing library for years to come.

Still, sad to see a legacy like this end. Something tells me, however, that if there's a demand, some developer will try to fill the void.
          RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I will too, but we will not be able to add to the game. Unless someone else picks it up...

For music minded folks, there are so much more that can be done with it.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Beatles Rockband was epic. no arguments can be made.
              Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
              ~Noam Chomsky

Comment

I'm glad they managed to crank out the Beatles before shutting down...

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
                  I just read the article at Yahoo.com. I have to say, while I understand the decision, I am bummed out. I LOVE playing GH and Rock Band. Yeah, it's expensive to get into, but once you have the peripherals, it's easy. Plus, I don't play an instrument, so this is as close to a rock god as I will ever become :-)
                  I feel your pain.

Comment

I second the Beatles and add Metallica (come get me Gixxer)!

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
                      Just heard on the radio that the manufacturers of Guitar Hero have announced that due to poor sales that they have scrapped Guitar Hero, a new line of GH was to be released at the end of the year, but that has been scrapped

Has anyone heard anything about this.

Roddoss72
                      Guitar Hero and it's imitators dropped off in popularity in a big way following Guitar Hero III simply because you really couldn't take the concept any further. All three of the guitar hero games have pretty much the same mechanics because there was no real room for improvement. So the death of it and it's genre was inevitable.
                      Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
                      But who's to judge the right from wrong.
                      When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
                      That violence breeds violence.
                      But in the end it has to be this way.

Comment

They did it to themselves, it was a cool concept and when it became a fad they just started pumping out so much not so innovative new products they burned the customer base out.
                        Кто там?
                        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

True, but it doesn't make it any less fun. And for those that know what they are doing, they can continue to make downloadable content and extend the life of the game. Alas, I am not one who knows, so I will be at the mercy of those that do.

Comment

Never mind. Go and learn the real thing. It's give you blisters on your fingers, but it's worth it.

Philip
                            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

This series is the only one that got my family to game together. We haven't played in a while, but it will be missed.

Then again, there are so many titles out there now for it that we'll be able to game for a long time before we wear them all out.

If there's money to be made, though, my guess is someone else will step in to fill the void.
                              RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X