Bought PS3, Need Game Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought PS3, Need Game Recommendations

Ok, I bought a PS3 for the Blue Ray player and Netflix ready. But since I have it I was wondering if anyone could suggest any strategy games for it?

I have played LOS Vietnam and Battlefield VN on the computer, and they are fine with me for shooter games. What I am interested in are strategy games like Panzer General, not just your basic shoot em up stuff. Those kind of games with all the hexes, and stuff like that. I have no idea what is out there but so far I can't seem to find anything interesting when I search.

Can anyone suggest something interesting and where I should shop?

Sadly there is damn little of merit specifically for the PS3 at the strategy level.

You can of course check out Civilization Revolution, although I think even a die hard Civ fan will find it hard saying the game was without issues.

Solo it is fine, but the multi player hell it went through probably killed it.

Thing is, and I have been saying this seemingly for a long time to no gain, there wargaming hobby doesn't appear to have many that feel like making
    wargames' for console(s).

It's been a long time since Panzer General indeed.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Let's start with why would you like a strategy game specific for PS3 (no teasing, I'm actually looking for reasons in order to help out).

On a side note a 'fanboy' friend just got the "move" for PS3 (kinda turns it into a Wii) which makes it a potential use for FPS'

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
        Let's start with why would you like a strategy game specific for PS3 (no teasing, I'm actually looking for reasons in order to help out).
        Well, because I have a PS3 and think if I could find a game I would like I might play it. The first person shooter games get old with me after a while. There needs to be some sort of strategy to it to hold my interest. At a minimum strategy like in BFV. I have played Panzer General and thought that fun. So I am wondering if there are PS3 games like that out there.

Are you saying I am better off just playing such game son the computer?

I mean, for all the fuss and popularity there seems to be with this console gaming, it sure seems like there isn't much variety in games out there, and what is there seems to be all more or less the same.

Comment

It's not that console has no games of strategy, but the PSP and the Nintendo DS is where you seem to find them.

Now of course a Nintendo DS screen even on the XL model is not going to be able to compete with a 40" HD TV screen any time soon.

But at least it has genuine wargames on it.

Thing is, you appear to have gotten the PS3 for much the same reason I did (not for games mostly).

What you might want to look into, is maybe ways to make your computer talk to your TV via a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Comment

This is new: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1118698p1.html

I haven't played it, but it's getting pretty good press.

This: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/senj...%3Bread-review is actually more fun and strategic than it looks, not for everyone though.

I've had a lot of fun with games like Uncharted 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls... sports sims etc; strategy is not the strength of console gaming, I'm predicting my PS3 will get plenty of play when Gran Turismo V comes out

Comment

I'm playin Red Dead Redemption right now most of the time... It's GTA for cowboys, but no hookers.

I have SOCOM: Confontation because it is the finest multiplayer online shooter in existence.

I bought Modern Warfare 2 because the Call of Duty series has always been fun and flashy, the game kept up the image and the online is alright too. I also play World at War because it's WWII-oriented and has in-house Co-Op campaign.

UFC 2010 is for those of us who study martial arts. No human cockfighting, just real technical fighting.

And I have GTA 4 because the series brought me to Playstation 15 years ago and it has NEVER disappointed!

Also I play Blitz 2 (football) for the action x-ray cams and the dirty plays.

And there is a host of stuff I've enjoyed that I don't own, off the top of my head I suggest Heavy Rain, it was innovative game play with an excellent story. It uses the SixAxis function which is a basic version of using your controller as a Wii remote.

My playstation network ID is Westside-Number9. Get online (you'll have to sooner or later anyways) and invite me to be your friend. Then have a look at my trophy list, anything on that list is great gameplay (I'm really picky).

On a side note a 'fanboy' friend just got the "move" for PS3 (kinda turns it into a Wii) which makes it a potential use for FPS'
              Move works on SOCOM 4, it's not just for kids...

And with SixAxis the PS3 already had the Wii smoked long before Move... A dozen games with motion controller themes at least.

Adding the camera just ensured victory.. Had the camera for a year... Move is next if SOCOM 4 is only in that format.

Tom Clancy's Endwar rocks, you're just being a hater...

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 27 Sep 10, 21:54.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post

You can of course check out Civilization Revolution, although I think even a die hard Civ fan will find it hard saying the game was without issues.
                I have Revolution. It rules... Play it weekly with no issues, online to boot.

It's been a long time since Panzer General indeed.
                Not that it matters, because you can play Panzer and Allied General on the PS3...
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Hey my dear

Try finding Valkyria Chronicles for the good old PS III, its an intersting strat/3rd person movement game with 3-Dcell graphics, like a very cool animated cartoon type deal.

Cheers, not to bad if you can find a copy, think an alternative WWII in a Europe type setting, with tanks as well as Infrantry type of Strat/RPG

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                    Are you saying I am better off just playing such game son the computer?
                    That's my opinion.

Of course you have Paul here to balance me off, but the more "serious" a game becomes, the more fitting it is for the PC.
                    I mean, for all the fuss and popularity there seems to be with this console gaming, it sure seems like there isn't much variety in games out there, and what is there seems to be all more or less the same.
                    Consoles have a very focused target crowd (unlike PCs that reach out for anyone) that's why most game will be FPS or "social party" types.

Can you imagine someone playing a hex wargame on PS? I can't.

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                    I'm playin Red Dead Redemption right now most of the time... It's GTA for cowboys, but no hookers.
                    No hookers in the Wiled West?!
                    Move works on SOCOM 4, it's not just for kids...

And with SixAxis the PS3 already had the Wii smoked long before Move... A dozen games with motion controller themes at least.

Adding the camera just ensured victory.. Had the camera for a year... Move is next if SOCOM 4 is only in that format.
                    In case I wasn't clear, I advocate for move, I freaking did the unthinkable and bought a PS3 and move (mostly to check out SOCOM which you keep yapping about ).

Comment

I freaking did the unthinkable and bought a PS3 and move (mostly to check out SOCOM which you keep yapping about ).
                      It's going to be excellent (I believe), from the looks of the demos I've seen Sony just handed over the (spectacularly good) Uncharted 2 engine and let the SOCOM guys go wild on it. Something to look forward to for sure.

Comment

Paul mentions that Panzer General runs on the PS3, ONLY if you have the right PS3 model though.

Although it is not critcally vital. Good game, but it shows it's age. Pity no one wants to release something more recent.

Comment

Of course you have Paul here to balance me off, but the more "serious" a game becomes, the more fitting it is for the PC.
                          That's a shaky statement. How can you have serious control on a PC?

The PS controller is a work of art. More levels of sensitivity than a pregnant woman, and you can shake it in anger (unlike the pregnant woman).

I mean really, even without move, the PS controller is one of kind. No other console has SixAxis control, and it works with tons of games.

Can you imagine someone playing a hex wargame on PS? I can't.
                          Want a picture? We play in two-man teams sometimes, for some 4-on-4, but mostly we just split an army (25 units to 24 units) and whip campaigns with the AI cranked up.

Panzer General and Allied General.

Minus the hexes, there are other games... Although the only one I own is Endwar, I played one where you command mideval troops that wasn't awful.

No hookers in the Wiled West?!
                          Rockstar gets more beef for the hookers than all of their gory missions put together, so it was a smart marketing move. But it was a disappointment to fans of the company and the time period. Still, it's my only complaint after 30 hours or so of play.

And there is a social site that tracks you and your pals (on PS3 or XBox) progress in all Rockstar games. Very sweet.

In case I wasn't clear, I advocate for move, I freaking did the unthinkable and bought a PS3 and move (mostly to check out SOCOM which you keep yapping about ).
                          I can't afford it yet, but you can believe that I will get it by Christmas. For almost 15 years SOCOM has been the one game that I could approve with a whole heart.

Rob Roy, the SEAL who appeared on Deadliest Warrior, has been their advisor for nearly the entire series, and he's the ****ing man. Google that warrior.

Paul mentions that Panzer General runs on the PS3, ONLY if you have the right PS3 model though.
                          Have you had a problem with it? My best friend has the slim model, and he plays all the time.

Although it is not critcally vital. Good game, but it shows it's age. Pity no one wants to release something more recent.
                          True. I've read about a few things in the works, even a spinoff of the SSI games, but odds are they'll never make it.

And that's why I have a computer. If the game doesn't require a good controller or active reflexes, than it will be fine on a computer. And that is the nature of strategy games.

For everything else (3D, Bluray, 1080p display, motion controls, video editing, social networking [it goes right to FACEBOOK and TWITTER], 40 player games, and anything else related to digital/electronic entertainment, PS3 is now King.

BoRG

Comment

"Have you had a problem with it? My best friend has the slim model, and he plays all the time."

Might need to look into that further then.

Comment

"Have you had a problem with it? My best friend has the slim model, and he plays all the time."

Might need to look into that further then.
                              As far as I know, the only thing you can't play is PS2 games.

The reason: they are releasing the PS2 greatest hits on PS3... And they just started plugging the Japanese releases on PS1 for download via the Playstation Network.

The classics are making a comeback...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X