Enough with the tap happy games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough with the tap happy games!

Well I found out I don't have CT so I can still play my video games. However I still need to be cautious with my selection. Strategy games and puzzle games are perfectly fine. Flight sims work. Driving and tactical shooters in moderation. However my career in the button clickers like Mortal Kombat and Dynasty Warriors is definitely over.

It occured to me that someone needs to educate the game design community to stop their fetish with button clicking mini-games and teach them the value of auto-fire. Remember Test Your Might from Mortal Kombat? Heaven only knows how much damage games like that do to your muscles. In a game like Myst you might do 5 clicks a minute. Dynasty Tactics 10 to 15. Rainbow Six has a lot of stick work but button clicking comes to about 5 a minute too. Driving games probably get close to 20 or 30. But Mortal Kombat probably comes to over 100.

Now with some styles of game this is probably unavoidable. You play a lot of fighting games and arthritis is in your future. But many games like Spartan and Dynasty Warriors could benefit greatly from an autofire option. When you have to press a button every time you want to strike or parry in a game that simulates personal involvement in an ancient battlefield your fine motor muscles are going to get in so many ways. Give it autofire and the damage reduced by over 90%. Unfortunately it seems too many game designers are young and still don't recognize how to understand and compensate for long term health problems. It's a shame, because Dynasty Warriors was a fun game. The sword slinging market would have a loyal customer in me but first they've got to stop getting so tap happy. One should rememer that unlike a keyboard where rapid keystrokes spread strain across eight fingers and two thumbs, controller taps are exclusively thumb based and mostly right thumb. So you can't do with a pad what you can do with a keyboard and these guys need to recognize that.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
    Well I found out I don't have CT so I can still play my video games. However I still need to be cautious with my selection. Strategy games and puzzle games are perfectly fine. Flight sims work. Driving and tactical shooters in moderation. However my career in the button clickers like Mortal Kombat and Dynasty Warriors is definitely over.

It occured to me that someone needs to educate the game design community to stop their fetish with button clicking mini-games and teach them the value of auto-fire. Remember Test Your Might from Mortal Kombat? Heaven only knows how much damage games like that do to your muscles. In a game like Myst you might do 5 clicks a minute. Dynasty Tactics 10 to 15. Rainbow Six has a lot of stick work but button clicking comes to about 5 a minute too. Driving games probably get close to 20 or 30. But Mortal Kombat probably comes to over 100.

Now with some styles of game this is probably unavoidable. You play a lot of fighting games and arthritis is in your future. But many games like Spartan and Dynasty Warriors could benefit greatly from an autofire option. When you have to press a button every time you want to strike or parry in a game that simulates personal involvement in an ancient battlefield your fine motor muscles are going to get in so many ways. Give it autofire and the damage reduced by over 90%. Unfortunately it seems too many game designers are young and still don't recognize how to understand and compensate for long term health problems. It's a shame, because Dynasty Warriors was a fun game. The sword slinging market would have a loyal customer in me but first they've got to stop getting so tap happy. One should rememer that unlike a keyboard where rapid keystrokes spread strain across eight fingers and two thumbs, controller taps are exclusively thumb based and mostly right thumb. So you can't do with a pad what you can do with a keyboard and these guys need to recognize that.
    You don't remember Daily Thompson's Decathelon on the ZX Spectrum then

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X