No announcement yet.

Operation Flashpoint Any Players Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint Any Players Here?

I was buzzing about this game for months, due to the teaser trailers provided by xbox live prior to it's release, and it's sales for my department at work did not dissapoint selling out shortly before dinner time.
    I'd been told so much about the expansive open world exploration. That can take as much as 8 hours in real time to walk from one end of the map to another. 2.5hrs by jeep. 20mins by helicopter. Super smart AI and the fact that it has been previously used as a training sim for the US marine core. So by the time I got my grubby little mitts on my copy, put it in the xbox turned it on i was possitivly salivating at the prospect of playing it for the first time. Initially I was not disappointed. The game has lush scenery graphics that have come to be expected by all 3rd generation gamers,and the general overall look seemed realistic. However as I played on I saw slight flaws in the game, some of which are things which should have been dealt with in games as old as delta force back on the pc. Like rifle muzzles appearing through walls by enemies on the other side of them, legs melting into mountains at sharp angles as they run along them and inability to turn head when in vehicles. An allied AI that leaves something to be desired. Having all this been said I cannot stop playing this game it is completly addictive and by far the most realistic first person shooter I have ever played, it even rivals the mighty ghost recon 2. If only for the enemy AI alone. So any other operation flashpointers.
    As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.
    Adolf Hitler

Just out of curiosity, how does the game handle? Giving orders to your team or switching from crouch/prone to running, shooting etc..Does it feel right?
    Also, did you happen to play the previous titles on the PC?

As you may of seen, the PC users are very dissapointed with the outcome of the game. It seems to be nothing more than a lazy console port, which, while bad for PC gamers, could still mean the game is decent for the consoles.
    Aside from the die-hard fans who aren't happy with what their "military sim" has become, there hasn't been many complaints from the console gamers. (except for the obvious bugs such as you mentioned)

It appears they may have accomplished their goal of making a squad-based FPS for consoles. Pity they lost the PC market and most fans of the series have moved on to ARMA 2 instead But i doubt the next OP Flashpoint will even be made for PC...
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokturnal View Post
      Just out of curiosity, how does the game handle? Giving orders to your team or switching from crouch/prone to running, shooting etc..Does it feel right?
      Also, did you happen to play the previous titles on the PC?

As you may of seen, the PC users are very dissapointed with the outcome of the game. It seems to be nothing more than a lazy console port, which, while bad for PC gamers, could still mean the game is decent for the consoles.
      Aside from the die-hard fans who aren't happy with what their "military sim" has become, there hasn't been many complaints from the console gamers. (except for the obvious bugs such as you mentioned)

It appears they may have accomplished their goal of making a squad-based FPS for consoles. Pity they lost the PC market and most fans of the series have moved on to ARMA 2 instead But i doubt the next OP Flashpoint will even be made for PC...
      Erm right first off the issuing of orders to team mates is ok you can slip in and out of giving orders pretty quickly without getting yourself killed, it's kind of a point and send sort of option. However I find it works best if you have some idea of a battleplan rather than going straight in and then winging it. It's also best not to send your guys too far away they can get stuck or lost if you send them miles off in front, I control them alot using the map this can be really useful for flanking ememies.
      The allied A.I is as flawed as it is invaluble and it's not often you can say that "their **** but their good" my list of problems thus far is ...
      (1) they wont swim but you do
      (2) they wont do steep hills/cliffs but you do
      (3) you can't seem to control them individually
      (4) they have no "observe only" setting they see a target they tell you about them and then engage no matter how much risk it puts you all in
      (5) they compain when getting shot at rather than taking cover.

As for switching from crouch/prone to running, shooting that is all very well done. Sometimes I go to prone by accident when I mean to run but that is only cos I'm use to playing battlefield 1943. Theres a nice touch with the running as you get more knackered your heart beats faster and your controller beats in time this affects your aim and is also quite atmospheric all in all this aspect of the game runs as smooth as a ghost recon or call of duty game.

Nope I never played the original on PC, since becoming an absolute xbox ***** I just can't face pc gaming anymore (aside from C&C games) theres something about the 360 pad that is just perfect for FPS (other than the triggers) it's so simple and quick.

I look forward to their next attempt, ghost recon, COD and battlefield are all gonna have to watch their backs.
      As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.
      Adolf Hitler

Comment

Well your list of problems is much shorter then mine was after just a couple of levels I guess that's a good start for console gamers.

My main gripe with the issuing of orders was it stops you in your place and you are forced to use W,A,S,D to cycle through the various orders, with important things such as artillery support hidden amongst them (and not being told where by any in-game instructions..).
        It almost seemed like they expected people to know what all the orders were and how to locate them, i thought perhaps this was put into the first Operation Flashpoint for Xbox game and they just recycled it.
        Either way, it was very annoying to try and use when in the heat of battle.

But yes, as you say it's better to go in with a plan. However anytime i tried to separate myself (more than 100m or so) from my group in order to strike from multiple points, i found my AI team less than helpful, and with some strange obsession with trying to stop enemy bullets, with their face..

They only really seem to be of any use when set to "follow" and even then they get maybe 1/10 of the kills. I guess ya wouldn't want them killing them all for you, but i thought these were trained soldiers?..

I am getting the feeling that they perhaps just didn't test the PC version enough.
        There are many other annoyances such as the vehicles all performing like a car with no wheels trying to drive on ice, that just don't seem to be an issue for consoles.
        It could just be the controller, i guess?...

One thing i should mention is that i was infact able to control the group individually. When in the map i clicked on the individual number/icon in the top right hand corner and that allowed me to give them each orders. Not sure if this is possible on the console, but give it a shot.
        As i said, this never actually benefitted me though, so i rarely used it.

Also, there is an "observe only" type command you can issue - Check under the ROE (rules of engagement) category and you can tell them to hold, fire at will, or fire on your lead.
        This is a example of how the radial system isn't quite user friendly..

Now with regards to the heart beating effecting the aim thing, again this just might be missing from the PC but i never noticed any effect on my aim after running a few hundred metres, the only noticeable effect was the annoying heart-beat that you mentioned, which i just found unncessary considering it doesn't actually stop you from running.

Unfortunately the fact you didn't play the originals is likely to also be the reason you enjoyed this game so much. I've yet to see a fan of the originals praise this new release.
        That being said, it's great to hear it can attract new blood to the franchise, hopefully next time around they don't cheap out on the PC version..

Though i really doubt that this game will be any competition for Call of Duty or Battlefield...Ghost recon perhaps, but only because it seems to be a new-age version of their franchise...

Until they patch the PC version and it is finally playable without frustration i think i'll go back to ArmA 2 - Thanks for the insight.
        Last edited by Nokturnal; 30 Oct 09, 00:51.
        "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
        - Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Comment

I own Flashpoint for the PS3, and I must also put in my gripes about the buggy AI that is preventing me from continuing the Campaign offline...

During Hip-Shot, the Fuel Depot mission, you are tasked with getting to a staging point in the dark undetected. A few patrols get in the way and its easy to avoid if your playing with humans online, however once the targets are declared, one of my guys (usually Winters) decides to open fire, sending the whole depot into a frenzy and after my squad, with nowhere to hide or seek cover and usually ends in a bloodbath for me.

This one mission has aggravated me so much that i refuse to play Offline Campaign until Codemasters relase there imminent AI patch!

Other than that, I find the game solid, large expansive enviroments for tactical thinking, numerous weaponry choices, realistic bullet damage...

If anyone has it on PS3, or owns a PS3 add me...

PSN - bigdode

Just put Armchair General or something in the message =D
          And do hurry, Im itching to get some good games online with reliable people lol.

Dode

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X