Have I Been Left Behind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I Been Left Behind?

I am new to the site and forums, and this is my first post/question. I'm hoping other forum members can offer some guidance.

Is there a WWII and/or Civil War based game out there for those of us who are interested in taking up gaming, but have never attempted it before? Or have I been irretrievably left behind? I am a complete novice. The last video game of any sort I played with regularity was Centipede back in the early 80s. I recently inherited a PS2 console from my daughter (and I have a relatively new PC running Vista with plenty of memory and power as an alternative console for computer based games). I'd like to try playing some games, but I'm intimidated. Most games seem built for people who already have experience playing. There doesn't seem to be anything both easy and interesting enough for older novices. Are there games (single player at first)out there that don't have a huge learning curve to help me get into gaming? Ideally, I think I'd like flight-based, individual shooter or small unit games that are forgiving, have decent graphics and allow one to move on to progressively harder scenarios, while remaining interesting in the early learning phase.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Ajhall View Post
    I am new to the site and forums, and this is my first post/question. I'm hoping other forum members can offer some guidance.

Is there a WWII and/or Civil War based game out there for those of us who are interested in taking up gaming, but have never attempted it before? Or have I been irretrievably left behind? I am a complete novice. The last video game of any sort I played with regularity was Centipede back in the early 80s. I recently inherited a PS2 console from my daughter (and I have a relatively new PC running Vista with plenty of memory and power as an alternative console for computer based games). I'd like to try playing some games, but I'm intimidated. Most games seem built for people who already have experience playing. There doesn't seem to be anything both easy and interesting enough for older novices. Are there games (single player at first)out there that don't have a huge learning curve to help me get into gaming? Ideally, I think I'd like flight-based, individual shooter or small unit games that are forgiving, have decent graphics and allow one to move on to progressively harder scenarios, while remaining interesting in the early learning phase.

Thanks for any help.
    Welcome to the forums, Ajhall.

I don't really think there is such a thing as "irretrievably left behind." In an effort not to limit their potential player/customer base, most gaming companies try to make their games approachable and playable by everyone, regardless of experience level. Nearly every game on the market has a built in tutorial or uses a system that gradually introduces the player to the more advanced features of the game as he/she plays and gains more experience.

That's not to say that there isn't a learning curve for some games, but you're best bet might be to just spend a few minutes researching the genre/setting that you like best, find the game with the best reviews (or the one that simply appeals to you more) and then take the plunge and buy it.

If not, I'm sure some folks on this forum can point you towards some good stuff.

Cheers.
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

FPS games are pretty straightforward and most games I have played have several levels of difficulty. There's several WWII games out there in the genre, the Call of Duty series being IMHO pretty good, as well as some modern ones. There's a Civil War FPS but I wouldn't say I can reccommend it.

For flying games PC would IMHO be the way to go, probably because I just can't play one without a flightstick, but that's personal preference.

For small unit games...hmm...Brothers In Arms series is a WWII ETO game that combines a FPS game with AI squadmates (usually a fire team and assault team, though sometimes you get a tank) that you give orders to and use to supress/kill enemy troops, in addition to the FPS style shooting by your player character, but the PS2 versions I've heard got somewhat shorted when ported from the X-box.

Comment

Sickpup said it all.

Barrow a game, rent a game or buy one. Older games can be had for $20 or less. Newer one for 40$ or so. Just make sure that the game you buy can be used on your system.

Jump in and have fun. Once you learn a game then it can be fun playing the weakness of the AI.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Battlefield 1942, it's been out a while now, and likely is the most successful shooter I can think of. You can likely buy the entire series for a song now.

It's what you want. Silly bugger in a video game. Run around shooting, or get in the jeep or the tank or the artillery gun, or the plane, or the aircraft carrier (yes even an aircraft carrier). They did a fun Vietnam setting, so you don't need to stick in just WW2.

If you want a more tankish like game, then hunt down Panzer Elite Action, also out a bit so should be inexpensive. You basically drive around a tank in silly arcade fashion and blast away at anything and everything.

Now when you get to the point you want serious, you want Close Combat, and good news is these classics have been re built and re released recently.
          You can get them at Matrix Games online. it's real time, but a more serious style of it. And it has a MASSIVE online community. You won't be playing it alone.

If you want a graphics heavy real time fun fest, Company of Heroes is the deluxe version of this sort of gaming style. And it is still being supported. They just added a new expansion not long ago.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Older PC games but still a lot of fun are the Code Name Panzer by CDV. You can get a set of two for around $20 - 30. RTS with good graphics, interesting scenarios. Game play is a bit unrealistic but worth the money.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Well there are a few WW2 games on both ps2 and pc the ones I have enjoyed on PS2 are the Medal of honour series and the Call of duty series

Call of duty is pretty good or even better on PC and another good FPS on PC would be Battlefield 1942 but might be bit harder to learn the controls for stratergy I can only think of the old close combat series has a pretty good level for learning the game and has excellent campaigns I have only played the bridge to far game which I really really enjoyed so don't know what other ones would be like (Also on PC)
              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                Battlefield 1942, it's been out a while now, and likely is the most successful shooter I can think of. You can likely buy the entire series for a song now.

It's what you want. Silly bugger in a video game. Run around shooting, or get in the jeep or the tank or the artillery gun, or the plane, or the aircraft carrier (yes even an aircraft carrier). They did a fun Vietnam setting, so you don't need to stick in just WW2.

If you want a more tankish like game, then hunt down Panzer Elite Action, also out a bit so should be inexpensive. You basically drive around a tank in silly arcade fashion and blast away at anything and everything.

Now when you get to the point you want serious, you want Close Combat, and good news is these classics have been re built and re released recently.
                You can get them at Matrix Games online. it's real time, but a more serious style of it. And it has a MASSIVE online community. You won't be playing it alone.

If you want a graphics heavy real time fun fest, Company of Heroes is the deluxe version of this sort of gaming style. And it is still being supported. They just added a new expansion not long ago.
                Don't forget the modern version Battlefield 2 thats very intertaining to specialy when you can go commander and use artillery, order squads very fun on multiplayer but doesn't really have a AI campaign
                http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

There are plenty of games to be had. Go to a used game store either locally or on line. Write down what your system is, and make sure that it is compatable. Ask for help, most geeks are alright.
                  In Vino Veritas

Comment

Required Windows 7 comment incoming.

One truth of wargaming, is most of classic electronic wargaming tends to be old where the software is concerned.

The names that are considered the biggies, Steel Panthers, Close Combat series, Combat Mission, The Operational Art of War, these games all hail from the late 90s, and some simply haven't made it to this point intact and fully functional.

Some have been re released in a Vista/7 friendly form. Some regardless of tweaking for Windows are still a pain in the butt.

There are a great many shooters out there, but for the most part, the word 'console' does not include wargaming. We wargamers are mainly stuck playing on computers.
                    And much to my disgust, and dismay, I hate to say it, but it appears wargames will not be making the move to consoles, any time soon, if at all, ever.

On the plus side, thanks to the convenience of the computer, and two well liked interface solutions (VASSAL and Cyberboard), old school board games, yes the actual thing, a board game, can be played on a computer, against another human through the internet.
                    Thus making it possible to say wargaming is not dead yet, just different.
                    Where it goes in 30 years when most of us grognards are under sod is another question though
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X