Nintendo DS news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo DS news

In case it got lost for being in the non Console sections, I figured I would further add to the exposure of the two recent news items.

First off Slitherine has announced the game Commander Europe at War has come to the Nintendo DS (also the PSP and a revamp of the PC release as well).
    see new alert here.
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=73339

And just in today, I can add this item as well.
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=73378
    My thread discussing the new release Heavy Armour Brigade for the Nintendo DS (a tank sim).
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Wow, I look forward to both of these as a DS player, looks awesome. I enjoy Panzer and Fire Emblem as great strategy DS games.
    Do you have any idea when Military History Commander -- Europe at War comes out for the DS?
    Goddess of War

Comment

My understanding is this March. I just hope it is unlike Panzer Tactics, which got the wrong year in the announcement (I waited an extra year for that game to finally materialize).

Have you had the pleasure of trying Steel Horizon? Another good military DS game. It's a naval theme.

Comment

Steel Horizon? No, thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a shot.
        http://ds.ign.com/articles/789/789981p1.html
        They panned it pretty bad, but I can afford to give it a shot since I download all my DS games onto my DS for free with R4DS.

Have you tried the Age of Empires series on DS? Age of Mythology and Age of Kings are both splendid.
        Goddess of War

Comment

Ahh a fellow R4DS owner

I got mine in 2006 back when owning one was the thing (although today it is much outclassed as choices go).

In 2006 I merely thought it was a cool use of 60 bucks. In 2007 after seeing a years worth of stready stream of total and absolute DS crud wander past my eyes, I came to realize the flashcart is really a wallet survival mechanism

With a PC game, you can in a lot of cases obtain a demo, not so for the DS games basically. And we all know what happens at the game store, you are lucky to get 10 bucks (likely 5) for your 40 dollar game you thought had worth.
          When you couple that with how 90% of ALL DS game releases are crap (and I am not exaggerating, I MEAN 90%), you WANT to know if the game is worth your money preferable before you buy it.
          The usual morality of downloading games being 'wrong' simply doesn't mean squat to me where DS games is concerned.

But with reviews, it also depends on the reviewer. Never let a non wargamer tell you anything about a wargame. Granted if a non wargamer actually likes a wargame, that is certainly cause for interest.

Steel Horizon has a main screen that will bore a non wargamer to tears. They might even balk at playing the game if you pay them to play it
          Oh well, it's an old school naval strategy sim, what can you do. There is no land combat, you are either invading a port or not. You do it only with transports, and they succeed based on being allowed enough time unimpeded. The more landing craft, the faster it happens. Your combat group composition is all based on task. And that's where the skill level comes in. If you make the wrong group for the wrong mission, you will get defeated. Each mission has it's own needs too. And the game is not a short one, there are many missions. Plus you can play out the campaign from one of three starting core vessels which get constantly upgraded as you go along. So that means 3 long games.
          The setting has an interesting scifi like hidden bad organization story line. It isn't just a recreation of WW2.

I found if you made the right battlegroup for the job, and you move when you should move, where you should move, the RTS screen function was just a cut scene to watch. I don't even try to mess with it. The reviewer didn't like the RTS portion of the game, and likely is correct in summing it up. The reviewer likely also sucks at Chess.
          Steel Horizon is a lot like Chess in that you need to plan your moves and in some cases set up a play a few turns in advance. Otherwise you spend all your time reacting. and that means a lousy score too.

I played Steel Horizon and Age of Empires to death the year I spent waiting for Panzer Tactics to finally get released. I usually take a long time 'getting into' a game. I don't learn video games too fast normally. But once in, these games are incredibly rewarding.
          And both feature evolving rewards for contiunued play in the form of the usual unlocked features etc. Something that makes owning the cartridge at least worth the effort.

I love Civilization Revolutions for the DS (apparently the only console release that has an online function that wasn't screwed up), but sadly it has nothing to unlock, and getting the game legit really doesn't add anything although it is at least money well spent.

If you like flight oriented games B-17 Fortress of the Skies is currently the only 'playable' flight oriented DS game. Also is quite fun although some missions will have you using unladylike terms
          I was hoping Spitfire Heroes would be fun, but was actually mostly lame.
          And the jet games are as much fun as the shooters. Good if you like being frustrated I guess.

Comment

Have you tried the one Tom Clancy tactical game for the DS? I haven't given it a chance yet.
            Goddess of War

Comment

Posting a link here, because my General Gaming Discussions thread appears to not be getting a single peep or reply.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...81#post1159081

Posted a major ton of great visuals for the Commander Europe at War game there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X