Sim City Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim City Sucks

I get so frustrated sometimes with wargames and chess and such that I bought a copy of Sim City DS and just tried it out today.

What in the world do people see in this kind of game? I started out bored with it, and it only got worse as I continued for an hour or so. By the end, I was not only bored but also wondering if anything at all was happening that meant anything.

I should've known. I can't stand micromanagement in any game, and I sure don't have the interest or patience to monitor balance sheets and such.

I'm reminded of Railroad Tycoon II, a game I bought on eBay once. I liked the music, and at first it was a little fun to build railroads and see them run. But try as I might, I could never get interested in the economic side of the game, which is evidently the main appeal to the game's fans.

Oh well. Live and learn. Back to Advance Wars, I guess.
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

My main beef with Sim City is that the underlying economic model it uses is rigidly US-centric. If you try an build a city along the lines of the Scandinavian model everyone leaves because they wont pay the tax. Dumbasses

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
      I get so frustrated sometimes with wargames and chess and such that I bought a copy of Sim City DS and just tried it out today.

What in the world do people see in this kind of game? I started out bored with it, and it only got worse as I continued for an hour or so. By the end, I was not only bored but also wondering if anything at all was happening that meant anything.

I should've known. I can't stand micromanagement in any game, and I sure don't have the interest or patience to monitor balance sheets and such.

I'm reminded of Railroad Tycoon II, a game I bought on eBay once. I liked the music, and at first it was a little fun to build railroads and see them run. But try as I might, I could never get interested in the economic side of the game, which is evidently the main appeal to the game's fans.

Oh well. Live and learn. Back to Advance Wars, I guess.
      RR Tycoon 3 is a bit ezer with better grafics but your on point with spending half the time with spread sheets.

HP
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I've got the SNES version at home, I didn't think it was too bad.
        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I thought it was pretty cool
          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
          "

Comment

I agree with the criticisms of the tax system. It is very focused on a certain way of doing things. As Fodder mentioned, a scandinavian style just doesn't work.

Comment

Sounds like everybody is agreeing that it takes a wannabe bean counter to enjoy this kind of game. No wonder it's not my cup of tea.
              --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

I'm not a wannabe bean counter, but I enjoyed a few of the older versions of the game... haven't played the new ones, though.
                Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post
                  I'm not a wannabe bean counter, but I enjoyed a few of the older versions of the game... haven't played the new ones, though.
                  Well, maybe I'm not sure what a bean counter is, then. But the only reason I can think of that someone might like Sims-type games is that they enjoy micromanagement.

A friend of mine says his 8-yr-old daughter likes The Sims because she gets to create people and then kill them. He thought that was pretty sick and was a little worried.

But I was talking to the same friend about Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (a Civ-like game), and I told him I always turn all the governors on and set my formers (construction units) on automatic. He looked shocked and said micromanaging those things are two-thirds of the game to him.

I regularly get frustrated with Civilization and such. I'll build up a satisfying empire, then be attacked for no reason by some other player. Half the time I'm unprepared and end up losing everything. I think I'd like to play Civilization with a special rule that says no player may attack any other without clear provocation (i.e., if I've broken agreements or encroached on your turf, then you can declare war on me; otherwise, no).

But Sim City is practically devoid of conflict, which makes it feel to me like a complete waste of time and nothing more. I might just as well get a set of Legos and fool around with those. Or play in a sandbox.

Conflict, or competition, fools me into believing that I'm accomplishing something when I play a game. I guess that's what I mainly look for: the chance to kill time and yet feel good about it.
                  --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X