Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360 vs. PS2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I know people with both systems, and I'd say 75% of those with the 360 have had to get it fixed/replaced at least once, while none of my PS3-owning friends or myself (owning the80GB version) have had any console breakdowns.

    with PS3 you get blu-ray format, and if you get the 60 or 80GB version you have backwards compatibility with PS2 games (which can be had for dirt cheap). Online is also free. Not as many games as the 360 as of now but most big-name games are cross-console and some of the PS3 exclusives are really good (Metal Gear Solid 4, anyone?) and more PS3 titles are coming out all the time.

    That's my $.02, anyway.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by 88L71 View Post
      I know people with both systems, and I'd say 75% of those with the 360 have had to get it fixed/replaced at least once, while none of my PS3-owning friends or myself (owning the80GB version) have had any console breakdowns.

      with PS3 you get blu-ray format, and if you get the 60 or 80GB version you have backwards compatibility with PS2 games (which can be had for dirt cheap). Online is also free. Not as many games as the 360 as of now but most big-name games are cross-console and some of the PS3 exclusives are really good (Metal Gear Solid 4, anyone?) and more PS3 titles are coming out all the time.

      That's my $.02, anyway.
      I'd be inclined to agree, except that my son's 80GB PS3 is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. I have been told by the staff at my local EB Games shop, that it was the 60GB version which could do this. These now fetch a very good price on the second-hand market.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

      Comment


      • #33
        Here is my suggestion.

        Find a backwards compatible 60GB or 80GB PS3. The Metal Gear Solid 4bundle includes a backwards compatible 80GB PS3, although I don't think its readily available anymore. *Be careful in that not all PS3 models are backwards compatible.*

        With a backwards compatible PS3 you will be able to enjoy PS2 games without the need for a PS2.

        I highly recommend staying away from the Xbox 360. It has a very high failure rate (Red Ring of Death).
        Many of the features that are already included in the PS3 you have to also pay extra for with the Xbox 360.

        Here is a breakdown of the two consoles:

        Output
        PS3: Outputs at 1080p
        360: Outputs only at 1080i

        Power
        PS3: No huge power brick
        360: Massive power brick. This also tends to overheat.

        Noise Output
        PS3: Quiet to Moderate
        360: Very Loud. The noise is very distracting when I try to play a game

        Movies
        PS3: Includes a Blu Ray player with every system
        360: Must purchase a HD-DVD add on. HD-DVD is also a dead format.

        Online Services
        PS3: No online montly fees
        360: About 50$ a year in online fees

        Wireless:
        PS3: Built in wireless
        360: Must purchase a wireless adaptor for $100.

        Controller
        PS3: Sixaxis motion features, wireless, comes with a usb cord to charge it up
        360: No motion features, need two AA batteries, must pay for a charge pack ($20) to charge it up with a cord. Some controllers are wired or wireless depending on which 360 system package you buy.

        I highly also recommend the game Valkyria Chronciles (PS3). It is a turn based/action strategy game set in a pseudo WWII fantasy world. Take a look at their battle systems page.
        http://www.sega.com/valkyria/us/index.html
        Last edited by wonderboy; 16 Mar 09, 04:34.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
          I'd be inclined to agree, except that my son's 80GB PS3 is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. I have been told by the staff at my local EB Games shop, that it was the 60GB version which could do this. These now fetch a very good price on the second-hand market.

          Ahh. I bought mine when they released the 80GB with Metal Gear Solid 4 included w/console (last summer) and it's fully backwards compatible.

          Never had a problem with it except for an aftermarket USB cord I bought to charge a second controller that doesn't work sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the system itself.

          If you want to play online PS3 is much better as the Xbox is cheaper but hwen you add in wireless adapter and online fees the PS3 actually comes out LESS expensive over time.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by 88L71 View Post
            Ahh. I bought mine when they released the 80GB with Metal Gear Solid 4 included w/console (last summer) and it's fully backwards compatible.

            Never had a problem with it except for an aftermarket USB cord I bought to charge a second controller that doesn't work sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the system itself.

            If you want to play online PS3 is much better as the Xbox is cheaper but hwen you add in wireless adapter and online fees the PS3 actually comes out LESS expensive over time.
            Yeah, guess we must have just been too late, because backwards compatibility with PS2 games was simply no longer available on any new PS3 consoles when we got ours. That's our only regret, because otherwise we find the PS3 excellent and we've hung on to our PS2 for the older games.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

            Comment


            • #36
              the fact that you have to pay for Xbox live online membership is ludicrous... Playstation, despite its price tag, wins out in my book.

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X