Xbox 360 vs. PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 vs. PS2

I'm considering buying an Xbox 360 or a PS2 or possibly a PS3... I'd like to get some feedback on pros and cons of both systems... I'm mostly interested in shooting/strategy type games with a racing game thrown in for good measure but mostly shooting games...

I was playing Medal of Honor: Rising Sun over the weekend with my roommates 7 year old kid... I liked what I saw graphic wise even though the little brat got farther than I did in the game... Because I went in and shot everything in sight and the brat took his time shooting everything... I also played one of the Hitman version games on Xbox a while back and liked the graphics on that...
    ~~Mr. Morbid The Morbid One~~

Buy the PS2 if you want a buttload of games. Get the 360 for a load of games. Get the PS3 if you want to pay out $600 and almost no games.

I am biased though, personally I have the PS2 and 360.

Comment

Gaming-wise it has to be the 360. The PS2 is practically an antique! The PS3 has a Blu-Ray player built in and since that format won the High-Definition war that might be a factor to consider before making a purchase.
      Signing out.

Comment

Or you could buy a Wii...

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
          Gaming-wise it has to be the 360. The PS2 is practically an antique! The PS3 has a Blu-Ray player built in and since that format won the High-Definition war that might be a factor to consider before making a purchase.
          I'd consider buying a PS3 but with all new systems that come out every few years I'm gonna wait until they have a decent amount of games available... Now my next question is what good first person shooting games are there... I enjoyed playing Medal of Honor: Rising Sun especially when I was on the PT boat in one of the first missions I got to blast all the Japanese planes out of the sky... I like military based games... Not really into killing zombies like in resident evil or fantasy type characters...
          ~~Mr. Morbid The Morbid One~~

Comment

Get a PS2, They're pretty cheap now (Less than $90 for a refurbished one and $120 one new) and the library of games is huge.

If you're going to get a Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii or PS3, Wait until the next price drop.

Comment

If your going to get a PS2 which is what I have. Some of my favorites

Shooters

Sniper Elite
              Medal of Honor:Vanguard
              Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
              Call of Duty: Finest Hour
              Call of Duty 3
              Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
              Medal of Honor European Assault
              Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
              Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood

Flying

Ace Combat 5
              Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
              Secret Weapons Over Normandy
              Heroes of the Pacific
              "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

I fully endorse the PS2. I bought a PS1 and Grand Theft Auto in 2000, and upgraded to the PS2 a few years ago.

Best game selection, hands down.

The new PS3 with expanded techno goodies comes out in a month or two. It looks like it's worth the money...

Brothers in Arms, SOCOM, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor... And they always get Grand Theft Auto before XBOX does...
                Last edited by Paul Mann III; 16 May 08, 18:57.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I love my Xbox360. It has all the first person shooters that PS does plus I am excited the growing number of RTS games. Although you have to pay for it, Xbox Live is far more expansive than PS online. I think it is worth it just for Live Arcade especially if you like retro games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Morbid View Post
                    I'd consider buying a PS3 but with all new systems that come out every few years I'm gonna wait until they have a decent amount of games available... Now my next question is what good first person shooting games are there... I enjoyed playing Medal of Honor: Rising Sun especially when I was on the PT boat in one of the first missions I got to blast all the Japanese planes out of the sky... I like military based games... Not really into killing zombies like in resident evil or fantasy type characters...

I highly recommend the PS2. The price is right, it is very reliable, the game selection is huge and most games now cost around $20 new (many used games can be picked up for $3 to $15).

Here are some good military/shooter games for the PS2:

Medal of Honor Complete Collection ($30 includes to first 3 MoH's for the PS2: Frontline, Rising Sun and European Assault.)

Call of Duty 2 Big Red One
                    Call of Duty 3

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
                    Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
                    Be advised the Brothers in Arms games are not pure FPS's games, but a involve both FPS and Squad control elements.

Tom Clancy's: Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon series have some good military games of various playing styles.

The SOCOM US Navy SEALS series has four games, high quality titles but very tactical.

Delta Force Black Hawk Down (good co-op play)

The XBOX360 is great, but it has a very small library of expensive games. I
                    am waiting for the prices on the currently released games to drop and the library to expand before getting one.
                    Last edited by DangerForward; 16 May 08, 18:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                      Brothers in Arms, SOCOM, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor... And they always get Grand Theft Auto before XBOX does...
                      Just an aside but GTA IV came out the same time on both 360 and PS3.

Also, if you are a FF fan, FF13 is coming out on 360.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                        Just an aside but GTA IV came out the same time on both 360 and PS3.

Also, if you are a FF fan, FF13 is coming out on 360.
                        I gave up on Final Fantasy right after part III. It was the finest Super Nintendo game I ever played...
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Weigh all your options

I would first figure out what is most important.
                          1) if you want high end graphics and a lot of good games but also want to spend more money I would recomend the 360. I have the 360 and I love it, i play mostly sports games since my shooters and strategy games are done on my PC.
                          2) If you are on a budget and graphics are less important get the PS2.
                          3) If you have lots of money, want the blu-ray player and are willing to settle for a smaller selection of games i would get the PS3. Remember the Blu-Ray player is great and as stated before it won the battle but you need a TV that is HD capable. Also remember the PS3 will make your older DVD movies look better as well.
                          I have a Blu-Ray player connected to my 61 inch Sony HD Tv and Yamaha surround sound speakers................when I fire up Blackhawk Down on Blu-Ray it scares the neighboors when they hear the Blackhawks coming over.

Chad
                          "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post

I have a Blu-Ray player connected to my 61 inch Sony HD Tv and Yamaha surround sound speakers................when I fire up Blackhawk Down on Blu-Ray it scares the neighboors when they hear the Blackhawks coming over.

Chad
                            Yup. I have 37 inch HD, and a 400-watt Yahama 7.1 DTS, and BHD really lets the neighbors know about it...

That Air Assault scene is my generatons "Apocalypse Now!" chopper montage...

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                              Yup. I have 37 inch HD, and a 400-watt Yahama 7.1 DTS, and BHD really lets the neighbors know about it...

That Air Assault scene is my generatons "Apocalypse Now!" chopper montage...
                              Gotta Love the Jimmy Hendrix............Irene....F&%@$#@ Irene.
                              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X