X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Carroll
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
    Age of Empires, only downside I think is graphics. Well let me explain. I have noticed they effect my eyes and it must be the specific way the images are drawn. Otherwise great game. And yes, original form was an RTS resource gather/builder type.
    You will find as you play you earn points which allow you to unlock options. Go for the maps first. Get the Welsh Bowman too those guys rock. I like Joan the most her heal ability seems impossible to beat. The AI is ok but I think once you have played a while you will find you need to play 3 AIs on hard. Against another human I suspect the bets are off.
    I think you overestimate my playing skill. It's rare that I find a computer game of any kind where the AI ceases to be a challenge for me. I usually have to dumb a game down to my level. But so far in these three DS games, that has not been a problem, because the campaigns are designed to ease a new player into the game. I like that -- and need it! We'll see how long it is before I start losing and get frustrated.

I know what you mean about the graphics, though. Sometimes they try to do more than the tiny screen can really handle. I'd prefer simple, clear icons myself, and I could do without the animation, for that matter. But the graphics do add a lot to the historical feel of the game, and so far my eyes have adjusted.

I had some trouble with the touch-screen features at first. But then I took to using the buttons instead, and I've come to prefer that.

Steel Horizon is a good game, but I find the AI is predictable. Again a game where a human opponent will be like night and day. It also gives you unlocked goodies for performance. It's not easy to get those bonus points even if the game seems easy. So a personal challenge might be to call a game only truly a win if you get the brownie points.
    I take the wins wherever I can get 'em! But I have so far found the early scenarios to be very easy.

Brothers in Arms is a good game, with good graphics. It's a challenging shooter.

Sim City is good, but the graphics are very detailed for a small screen.
    I'll have to check those out. Believe it or not, I've never played any version of SimCity. (Played a few turns of SimLife years ago, when it was new, but that's it. I got bored and confused and switched to other games.)

Tetris is a must get game. Several really absorbing modes.
    That one I can borrow from my wife. It was in the package with the DS I bought her last year.

All those adult Brain builders are good.
    My wife loves those and plays with 'em almost daily. Lately she's been challenging me at one of them.

Tank Beat is a surprise game, interesting graphics, but challenging game as you have to watch two screens and manage several controls all at once. Over all a bit difficult to play.
    Just saw a bad review of it:
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/795/795825p1.html

The headline is: "Take Advance Wars, add some combat, remove all fun, and here's what you get."

Biggest danger with a DS, is you can get obsessed playing it without realizing it. And they make you look like a kid using one.
    I only play with my DS in private or when I'm with my wife. So I guess the obsession is socially acceptable.

Anyhow, since we don't have kids, we have to be kids ourselves sometimes. Like on Christmas morning, when we make a big deal out of sitting around the tree and opening presents -- just the two of us and our three cats.

Guess there's a little kid in all of us.

Leave a comment:

• LRB
    replied
    Age of Empires, only downside I think is graphics. Well let me explain. I have noticed they effect my eyes and it must be the specific way the images are drawn. Otherwise great game. And yes, original form was an RTS resource gather/builder type.
    You will find as you play you earn points which allow you to unlock options. Go for the maps first. Get the Welsh Bowman too those guys rock. I like Joan the most her heal ability seems impossible to beat. The AI is ok but I think once you have played a while you will find you need to play 3 AIs on hard. Against another human I suspect the bets are off.

Steel Horizon is a good game, but I find the AI is predictable. Again a game where a human opponent will be like night and day. It also gives you unlocked goodies for performance. It's not easy to get those bonus points even if the game seems easy. So a personal challenge might be to call a game only truly a win if you get the brownie points.
    The trick with the game, is properly sorting out your fleet order. Properly recognizing which ship will be the most important ship to command first. So that you can employ it's special ability first. And knowing how to not get met in battle at a disadvantage, because that costs you reaction time.
    My fav tactical battle mode tactic just keep hammering the x button in battle regardless Seconds count.

Brothers in Arms is a good game, with good graphics. It's a challenging shooter.

Sim City is good, but the graphics are very detailed for a small screen.

Tetris is a must get game. Several really absorbing modes.

All those adult Brain builders are good.

Tank Beat is a surprise game, interesting graphics, but challenging game as you have to watch two screens and manage several controls all at once. Over all a bit difficult to play.

Looking forward to Civilization.

Don't have Advance Wars, but it's on the list.

Don't have Operation Vietnam, but recently found out it is just the arcade game of the same title. Looks fun though.

Want Panzer Tactics.

Several quest games too many to mention all with surprising graphics. Final Fantasy is a good place to start.

Biggest danger with a DS, is you can get obsessed playing it without realizing it. And they make you look like a kid using one.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Carroll
    started a topic DS Games

DS Games

I've been playing at three DS games lately, and I thought I'd jot down a few first impressions.

Age of Empires: A very nice grand-strategy wargame. I've never played the PC version, so I don't know how this compares (though I hear the PC version is real-time and this is turn-based). Captures the look and feel of the Middle Ages, and includes exploring, building, and expanding as well as fighting. Apparently it's all land warfare. The focus is on five specific heroes, which in the game have various special powers besides being the toughest fighters around. There's some good info on the period too, so the game is educational as well as fun and challenging.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike: A superb little game. Again, I've never played any previous version, so this is brand-new to me. Despite the small screen, this manages to have the look and feel of a real wargame. And thanks to the campaign structure, the newbie is taken by the hand and led along from easy scenarios to harder ones. A pleasant way to learn the game. Here again, there's a focus on commanders -- several of 'em, and sometimes they cooperate in "tag battles." Land, air, and sea warfare with all the usual stuff found in this kind of game. Like it a lot.

Steel Horizon: A naval strategy game set in a fictional WWII. Strategic, turn-based movement of task forces, followed by quick real-time battles when foes meet. So far, I'm finding this game a little slow -- and a little fast. Too slow on the strategic side, too fast in tactical battles. The player has relatively little control in tactical battles; there's just not time to give many commands in sixty seconds (which is the fixed maximum time for all battles, and often you have less time than that). It's a good game, and it looks good too. But of the three mentioned here, this is so far my least favorite. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X