No announcement yet.

DS Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Clubhouse Games was my second purchase.

None of the games will blow you away with how magical they are, but the purpose of a hand held game in an adults usage, is to fill in those dead spot moments in your day at any rate. So a quick game of backgammon is essentially just fine for that purpose.
    The game would have been perfect if it had had a basic version of Tetris included Or possibly a simple version of Battleship. Or maybe a simple crossword function. Or lastly something from the old arcade classic releases.

Speaking of old arcade classic compilations, I have seen the one called Retro Hits, it was dreadful, the people that released it obviously didn't care if the controls were functionally useful or not.
    But there is a game inside the Namco Museum called Xevious which looks worth the cartridge. A top to bottom scrolling game where you are a flying craft that can shoot flying targets of ground targets. I loved that game at the arcade.
    But you need to be VERY cautious of the old arcade game releases for the DS. Often the original console controls simple don't translate onto the DS at all.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
      I think Clubhouse Games was my second purchase.

None of the games will blow you away with how magical they are, but the purpose of a hand held game in an adults usage, is to fill in those dead spot moments in your day at any rate. So a quick game of backgammon is essentially just fine for that purpose.
      The game would have been perfect if it had had a basic version of Tetris included Or possibly a simple version of Battleship. Or maybe a simple crossword function. Or lastly something from the old arcade classic releases.
      Actually there is "a simple version of Battleship"--if you mean the pencil-and-paper "Battleships" game. I think it's called Grid Attack (something like that).

I completed the "stamped play" series on Easy level last night -- a fun way to try all 42 games and unlock a few. At the end, I wondered if I'd ever complete the Escape puzzle, but somehow I managed.

I'd like to see a couple more deep-strategy games in the mix -- namely Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) and Go. The latter is available separately for the DS (at least in foreign countries; don't know about the U.S. market). But as far as I know, Xiangqi is not. Shame, because it's one of the three great versions of chess (the other two are in Clubhouse Games -- international chess and Shogi).

Now that I've tried all 42 games, my only complaints are: (1) I could do without the children's card games, (2) it's cruel to include hard-to-decipher Japanese games like Shogi and Koi-Koi, and (3) there are too many four-player card games and games (like poker) which are only satisfying when played against other people.

I just contradicted myself: arguing both for and against Shogi. Maybe tough games like chess, checkers, and bridge should be left out of Clubhouse Games altogether and packaged separately (along with Go and Xiangqi). Then I could buy the other game cartridge too and be completely happy.

Oh, and I guess I can also complain about the annoying prompts that pop up on the screen all too often and get in the way. I'm trying to study the board and think about my next move, and here comes a stupid bubble to cover up some of the pieces and tell me to make a move. I'd like to be able to turn that feature off.

Clubhouse Games includes one game I've always hated: Reversi (Othello). It goes by a different name, but it's there. For some reason, I've always sucked badly at that game, and I just can't get the hang of it -- and don't want to. It's the most maddening game I've ever played. Really goes against my grain.

I discovered I suck at Chinese Checkers too.

But all in all, it's a great game collection with several cool features thrown in. So it's a winner.
      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Well, after being addicted to Clubhouse Games for a while now, I'm discovering that the AI is pretty weak in many of the games. More of a problem with the all-skill games, of course. Especially a problem for me, though, since I only play single-player games. It's a good package for casual entertainment and staying in practice, though.

I switched back to Age of Empires yesterday and failed once again in the third scenario of the Minamoto campaign. Don't know if I'll ever win that. But I also played my first "empire map" game and won. It was fun but ran a little long.

Today I loaded up Advance Wars and picked up where I left off (scenario 15 of the campaign). Pretty cool game. Game length and unit density are just right. It's sometimes puzzle-like, but there's just enough strategy and tactics to keep it interesting and make it seem vaguely realistic.

Got burnt out on Puzzle Quest. It just gets old doing the same kind of puzzle over and over and over again.

I'll get back to Steel Horizon one of these days.

Just heard Chessmaster was recently released for the DS. Might be worth buying, though I already have a fine chess game (HIARCS) on my Palm PDA. The chess game in Clubhouse Games is so wimpy that even I can beat it. But the DS is trouncing me in Shogi (japanese chess); if I lose enough, I may eventually learn to play that game.
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X