Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call of Doody or Do They Even Bother Playtesting Games These Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by creeping death View Post
    Whenever playing games like this I remember that they are meant to be fun.................................for the most part if you try to actually think like a soldier you end up dying.
    I have to say some of these games have tried very hard to make it more tactical, especially the Brothers in Arms series for the PC. I did not get the 2nd one but the first one had some good tactical stuff in it.
    Your squad mates actually listened and sometime even provided good covering fire.
    I keep contemplating buying Call of Duty 3 for the X-Box 360.just don't have the funds and I am not a fan of FPS games on consoles...but it looks good.

CD
    Heh heh. In Big Red One your squadmates are good at supressing the enemy but they have a nasty habit of ALWAYS sitting right in your line of fire. You keep having to edge out more and more.

But I found that in History Channel's Civil War the John Wayne approach was best but in COD I have actually found that firing from cover is your best option. The best approach is to back up so that the fire is going for your squadmates - the game seems to prioritize the closest soldier USUALLY so be sure to crouch just in case, then find a hole and cap the auto weapon boys first, working your way down.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    Originally posted by creeping death View Post
    Whenever playing games like this I remember that they are meant to be fun.................................for the most part if you try to actually think like a soldier you end up dying.

This is true. Everytime I try to fire from cover, i wind up dead, I just wind up "John Wayne"ing it and come through unscathed.

Leave a comment:

• Creeping Death
    replied
    Fun

I have to say some of these games have tried very hard to make it more tactical, especially the Brothers in Arms series for the PC. I did not get the 2nd one but the first one had some good tactical stuff in it.
    Your squad mates actually listened and sometime even provided good covering fire.
    I keep contemplating buying Call of Duty 3 for the X-Box 360.just don't have the funds and I am not a fan of FPS games on consoles...but it looks good.

CD

Leave a comment:

• Call of Doody or Do They Even Bother Playtesting Games These Days?

I have been playing Call of Duty: The Big Red One for PS2. Overall I found the game to be very enjoyable but there are some parts that have me using voodoo dolls on the game designers.

There is a scene in the end of the Kasserine level where you have to run like the devil for your life while being pursued by a Tiger tank. What irritated me about this part of the level is that surviving it is sheer luck. If you stop to take cover and shoot it out with intercepting Germans the tank catches up with you and you die. The only thing you can do is run, run, run and hope you don't get gunned down before reaching the halftrack. I have a big problem with levels where luck and not skill is the deciding factor. Luck may be a decisive factor on the battlefield and 90% death rates may be realistic when being overrun but this does not make for good gameplay. Thankfully I got lucky and BARELY got through on the third try though I was so low on health a misquito bite would have finished me off.

Homicidally irritating point number two comes during Operation Husky when the game designers once again demonstrated their tactical ineptitude by having you assault a tank head on at the end of the level. Now here is the dumb part. The tank is not a part of your mission. Your objective is to secure the survivors of a crashed glider. You have done that. My tactical assessment: 1. Destroying the tank is not my objective. At best it is a target of opportunity. 2. The tank has a perfect field of fire and can hose down anyone stupid enough to charge it with machine gun fire. 3. The tank is in an excellent defensive position and cannot be flanked. Any assault would have to be into the guns. 4. The tank is not advancing on my position.

So the most logical solution is to cut and run. The tank isn't interested in leaving it's position and assaulting it is suicide and it isn't even your basic mission objective. But the game designers, following the video game principle that anything alive has to be destroyed no matter how suicidal the attack, force you to attack this thing. The results are indeed realistic. Nine times out of ten there won't be enough left of you to identify. Once again I had to hammer away until I got lucky.

A less irritating but irritating nonetheless level is the tank level. I love tank combat and was hoping this would be a good one. But, incompetent tacticians strike again, you have to assault Tigers and Panthers with Stuarts. Never mind the fact that I don't think Rommel even had Tigers and Panthers before Kasserine, apparently these game designers seem to think German tanks had thermal sights. More than once I was hit through black smoke by targets I couldn't see and who surely couldn't have seen my tank's smaller profile. Your only hope for survival is to cower behind your teammates and pop out to make quick shots.

Lest it be said that I hated this game, I do actually like most of it and was very impressed with the Normandy level, which was refreshingly good after I had experienced the travesty of the Normandy portrayal in MOH: Frontline which stank. Come to think of it, ALL of MOH: Frontline stank.

I criticize games a lot. Some might say I'm simply not good at them. In my defense I say that I have never lost a game where I was in charge such as the Rainbow 6 series. Anytime I am permitted to plan my own assault and thus do it right I have always been successful. It's the times I'm forced into a bad battle plan that things go wrong.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X