Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

I've been playing this recent installment and for once I have to disagree with Armchair General's glowing review. I found it rather disappointing.

Playing the game, I found that it was missing much of what made the Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 series fun. In this game you don't get to manage your team or conduct any form of pre-mission planning. You can't switch between teams either. You control only yourself and your other team is on auto pilot, limiting your control mostly to go commands. The whole game seems to lose a lot of it's thinking man's bonuses and seems to default to a run-of-the-mill run and gun shooter.

One thing I liked most about the original Ghost Recon was how it encompassed all elements of the firefight. You planned your mission, crept up on the enemy for on-sight recon, staged your troops, and finally engaged and crushed the enemy. In this game you are sort of led around by the nose, and given none of that initiative.

The final flaw was that it all takes place in Mexico City. Don't get me wrong, it's an original battlefield idea. It's just that it starts to get repetetive. Whereas in the original Ghost Recon one had a unique battlefield for every level, each with it's own hiding places and ambush points, with AW you have urban combat followed by more urban combat, followed by more urban combat. It starts to get dull after awhile.

All in all, I found that the other game I had purchased (Delta Force: Black Hawk Down) was much better. One thing I really liked about BHD was that you get to ride on a helo during insertion and look around while everyone is getting set up. Very cool. You also get to experience the intensity of standing in an open HUMVEE turret with absolutely no cover while every single Somali militiaman is shooting at you, thus developing a new appreciation for the guys who did that. The terrain, despite also being largely urban warfare, is more unique per level than AW, and it just clicked with me much better than AW, which is saying something because I love Clancy games.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Were you playing the XB360 version of Ghost Recon? Or one of the dumbed down versions designed for PC and current gen consoles?
    Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

See my review... Good Game for the turn the series has taken but it misses the original's strategy....
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeezer
        Were you playing the XB360 version of Ghost Recon? Or one of the dumbed down versions designed for PC and current gen consoles?
        PS2 version.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982
          PS2 version.
          Ewwww that explains it right there..... *That* version is horrid....

GameGeezer: I thought the PC version was better than 360? In terms of unit control and graphics the only flaw is that of PS2 and regular xbox.... the AI.
          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I think Ubisoft was definitely concentrating on the XB360 version when they were designing this game, the others seem to have lowered graphics, AI, functionality etc.. As far as reviews and such go.
            Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
              GameGeezer: I thought the PC version was better than 360? In terms of unit control and graphics the only flaw is that of PS2 and regular xbox.... the AI.
              I hate having to babysit stupid AI! That's what I liked about the origianl Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon, the AI didn't try to get creative, it moved when you told it to and fired when you told it to. There's nothing worse than a game where you have to bring your AI teammates home alive even when they are incredibly stupid. That is one drawback of Black Hawk Down. I say if the AI trooper does something stupid like engaging an enemy with no cover and gets itself killed, the player shouldn't be penalized.

But I found the GRAW AI to be semi-sufficient, not as dumb as BHD AI. Most of the time it would seek cover. I had to keep him on recon and assign him cover to stay behind though because the louse would frequently blow my surprise attacks by moving in front of me while standing up.

One thing I found extremely annoying was that the AI seemed to enjoy complaining. Sometimes I found it neccessary to assign him cover and move far in advance to do a solo takedown. Every few seconds my teammate would say "Still holding in position sir." as if I had forgotten about him. I wish I could tell him "I know and you will keep holding your position until I tell you otherwise Pyle! Now STFU!" Honestly I was tempted to frag him just to shut him up but that would probably result in mission failure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X