Is Sony trying to Kill the PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sony trying to Kill the PS3?

Negative press, is not always good, rarely is good actually. Saw this at SZO via link, this is the content from the link.

Sony Patent Will Limit PlayStation Abilities
    By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Times Staff Writer
    5:37 PM PDT, July 10, 2006

Sony Corp. has patented technology that would prevent its PlayStation consoles from playing used, rented or borrowed video games -- raising questions about whether the electronics and entertainment giant may attempt to redefine what it means to own something in the digital age.

Speculation over Sony's plans for the technology have sparked a furor online as game fans and consumer advocates fret that the company may incorporate it into the upcoming PlayStation 3 console, due to hit stores this fall.

They worry that it would wipe out the $1 billion annual market for used games and could even prevent someone from playing their games at a friend's house.

For its part, Sony has decried the "false speculation" surrounding the technology, patented in Japan before the October 2000 introduction of PlayStation 2. Sony has said little else about the technology or how the company might deploy it.

It is not unusual for technology companies to patent innovations and then never incorporate them into products.

Documents filed in April 2000 with the U.S. Patent Office describe a method of copy protection by which the game system would verify a disc as legitimate, register the disc to that particular game console, then wipe out verification data so the disc would be rendered unreadable in other PlayStations.

"Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end user becomes practically impossible," according to the patent documents.

Although Sony has been vague about its plans for the technology, "I actually think they're toying with this idea," said Michael Pachter, a game industry analyst for Wedbush Morgan Securities.

Pachter said he doubts Sony will tighten the software locks on PlayStation 3 games, but might employ bolstered copy protection on other forms of entertainment downloaded to the console over the Internet.

"Maybe they'll copy protect movies or music downloads," he said.

Whatever Sony's plans, the tempest illustrates the changing nature of ownership as millions of people accumulate vast collections of digital entertainment. Few people realize that when they buy software or music or movies, they are actually buying a license to use, watch or listen. That's why it violates copyright laws for people to sell copies of their music collection.

Sony was attacked earlier this year for including software on some of its music CDs that surreptitiously installed itself on computers playing the disc. The software was intended to prevent unauthorized copying. Sony later apologized.

Taking that sort of copy-protection one step further would be, in the words of one analyst, "crazy."

"What does Sony get from that?" said John Taylor of Arcadia Investment Corp. "Sony gets a black eye. It doesn't make sense to me."

Several analysts said the patent appears to principally be aimed at deterring game piracy. Indeed, Sony's patent notes that through the complexity of its copy-protection scheme "manufacture of counterfeit software becomes extremely difficult."

And it's not unusual for technology companies like Sony to register patents, either in anticipation of one day collecting royalties from someone seeking to license the technology, or to prevent someone else from deploying it.

"These are all things technologically possible to do in any computing device," said one cryptographer, who requested anonymity. "In the video game business, it would be suicide for someone to do this. It's actually possible Sony filed this because they wanted to keep people from doing that."

Nonetheless, persistent online speculation that Sony would use technological or other means to ban sale of used PlayStation 3 video games prompted one analyst, P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research, to study its potential effect on the industry.

"While we believe it is unlikely that SNE will ban PS3 pre-owned games from being sold by the same chains that sell new PS3 games, we believe this issue remains under consideration," McNealy wrote in a research note issued June 23.

McNealy estimated that game fans spent about $990 million buying used games, primarily from GameStop or through eBay. Much of that spending -- about $620 million -- is for used PlayStation 2 games.

Were Sony to ban sale of used games for its next-generation PS3, McNealy concluded the effect on independent video game publishers would be negligible.

Used-game sales are a growing source of irritation for game publishers, who receive no proceeds from the resale of games. Indeed, executives privately complain that cheaper second-hand games are available for sale shortly after a new game's release. And game publishers, which give retailers marketing money to promote games, end up competing with discounted versions of their own titles.

Major independent game publishers Electronic Arts Inc., Activision Inc. and THQ Inc. declined to comment.

Meanwhile, used games are a lucrative source of revenue for retailer GameStop, which began reporting pre-owned game sales for the first time following its acquisition of competitor EB. Last year, second-hand game sales accounted for $930 million in revenue and $418 million in profit. The profit margin was 45 percent, compared with 21 percent for new games, according to Arcadia Investment Corp.

Analysts say used-game sales contribute to the overall growth of the video game market, in the same way that the ability to trade in a used vehicle fuels the new-car market.

"A used-car market creates currency to buy new cars. Same with games. Everybody acknowledges that," Pachter said. "The problem is if the used game is available a week after the new game is out for a $5 discount."

unquote

Way top go Sony, hmm is there anyone at Sony that doesn't have **** on their head from it being so far up their ass?
    That has to be about the best way to hand MS the entire market.
    Then again, Sony also brought us the Betamax.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Not interested in consoles. Very few unique titles. All each console does is improve graphics. All for a hefty price.

Let alone 49.99 a game!!!

WHo the hell can afford these games. Ive been playing computer games since 83 and I reckon only three or four would have been worth that price tag.

Im mean Xmas comes (God knows what parent could afford the console) kid comes downstairs. Three presents total nearly 150. Parent feels they have let said child down as he\she only has three little presents.

I remember having a bin bag full of goodies.
    Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodin
      Not interested in consoles. Very few unique titles. All each console does is improve graphics. All for a hefty price.

Let alone 49.99 a game!!!

WHo the hell can afford these games. Ive been playing computer games since 83 and I reckon only three or four would have been worth that price tag.

Im mean Xmas comes (God knows what parent could afford the console) kid comes downstairs. Three presents total nearly 150. Parent feels they have let said child down as he\she only has three little presents.

I remember having a bin bag full of goodies.
      I hear ya Wodin (about the quantity of gifts burden). The wife a few years back, (back when I let her manage the cash), made the "error" (that's putting it mildly) of spending half of the next month's money on the son's gifts.

Son comes down to be greeted by a small tv/vhs unit, a playstation, a few games, toys more than I can recall, clothes, "things" basically a sea of "stuff". Her expression was something of shock, as the boy opened a gift and settled for playing with it, didn't even react to the mound of other items lying around.

Sadly, she had over done it, and the lad had become jaded to the whole experience.

Man, when I found out about the cash though, that was one ugly scene. Not going to go into that here though.

Been a long road back though. The son is aware of the cost of things, I spend no small amount of effort making him realise how much he has for funds, and exactly what happens when he spends it. All in all, I think he's more well grounded than my brother or sisters kids, all of which seem to think their parents money never ends. In truth they DO make a lot of income, but, you can bugger up teaching kids the worth of things.

Brothers boys have EVERY console. I suspect a PS3 will be bought, regardless of how stupid the price is.

This year, I am pondering treating myself to a Nintendo DS. Not 100% sure, I just envy my friend that has one. Very handy when you are out of the home, and need to fill 20 minutes.

But with Sony, hmm I'm looking forward to seeing them clean THIS mess up.

Comment

I would be pretty mad if i bought a game for a system then couldn't take it over to a friends house and play it,or let them try it out.Also there are times when your just not quite sure about the title and decide to reach for the one in the bargain bin,instead of the new one on the shelf,and save yourself a few dollars just in case it isn't your cup of tea.You also pretty much get screwed on trading in or selling back a new title compared to what you payed for it.

One side effect,since game stores make most of their profits from used games,might even be that they decide to jack up the sticker price on their end to make up for lost profits.People would complain for a bit then go on buying the higher priced titles anyways.

Comment

Somewhere along the line, some Sony exec likely has had the brilliant notion, that if no one ever was able to buy a game (made by Sony) used, then all those people wanting to buy the game used, would have to instead buy it new, if they wanted to check out the game.

Somewhere along the line, I think Sony has likely forgotten, the market might also suggest that Sony get f**ked.

Chances of me touching anything Sony ever again under this plan, is zero.
          Chances of me touching any hardware made by Sony every again under this plan, is zero.

I don't plan on reigning in the negativity either, until Sony gets a grip, realises they are playing potentially with the worst possible PR debackle, and convinces at least me, they are not as mindless as they seem (not that I alone am special ).

This plan of theirs (can it be called a plan), makes the changing of Coke look like sheer genius hehe. All advertising is good advertising? No, I don't think so.
          In the end, I am basically the source of 90% of my son's disposable funds. And there's simply no way any of it is going to be spent on anything Sony makes, if this is their idea of a good idea.

Blueray is merely an indication, technology is ready to leap forward in it's capacity to store massive sums of data. There's no actual reason that magnitude has to wear a Sony label though. Someone else can always pick up the ball Sony appears intent on dropping.

Comment

I don't see them doing it. They've already got enough bad press with delaying the release, the price... anything else would start cutting into sales. I second the sentiment though... if they actually went through with it, I would go well out fo my way to ditch Sony until they fixed their anal-cranium insertion issues.
            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

In talking with two gamer buddies (guys more in tune with consoles than me), one has mentioned MS also has similar technology (maybe MS is just smart enough to not go around blathering about it).

The other led me to believe the tech was unlikely to see use and mentioned something about it being about Sony having the capacity to market cheap variant copies, that would retail well below the price of one that was not severely limited in use.

The question is I guess, would anyone think the market would indulge say a 20 dollar one machine only title, alongside a typical price 60-70 dollar title that was made in the usual way.

Keep in mind, I am still unlikey to ever have anything nice to say about Sony, even if an occasional Playstation game might get bought by my household (son specifically).

Comment

Sony is destroying itself...every bit of news I hear about the PS3 seems worse and worse...

I see parallels with the unstoppable Germany suddenly losing itself after 1943...
                Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeezer
                  Sony is destroying itself...every bit of news I hear about the PS3 seems worse and worse...

I see parallels with the unstoppable Germany suddenly losing itself after 1943...
                  I don't know.Sony has a large and loyal fan base.The question is though are they loyal enough to shell out $600 for the system and up to $100 for a game

Of course no console is complete without the added hardware you will need,such as extra controllers,attachments,etc...Thats alot of dough just to start because no one is just going to buy the console so your probably looking at laying down about at least $800 just from the get go with taxes included.Still people would pay that just to have it,look at those maniacs paying a grand or more on e-bay for the 360 system when it first came out.

Comment

Friend is still confident he's getting one. Actually he's getting 2 maybe 3, and then immediately selling em on eBay to those with lots of money, few brain cells and an inability to do it the way my friend is doing it.

3 sales on eBay later, and odds are he won't even have to pay for his own essentially.

If I had a chance to get a PS3 for free, yeah I likely would not pass it up. But, only because free is hardly a burden eh.

Blueray player incorporated? who cares. It will only play discs Sony permits. Screw that, I buy only machines that play every last format without question.

Example, my Sony dvd player (bought before I was wise) cost me 150. My Phillips dvd player bought with wisdom 75 bucks. The Sony will only play commercially sold films, and a narrow range of recordable media. The Phillips will play any damn disc I put in it, plus, the data doesn't even need to be dvd compliant.
                    Half the price, and makes a Sony dvd player look like a retard. Hardly a difficult choice.

Plus the ultimate reason who cares about Blueray really. Sure it will hold as much as a dozen dvds or more, so what, a dozen dvds is like 12 times 30 cents, not worth caring. One new blank blueray disc, 20+ dollars. Not really a bargain in the end.

But back to the "questionable" technology. Inspired stupidity, nothing better.
                    They are only making people worry about their product. And after all the fuss over their other media, you would think a good PR image would be a life and death issue.
                    I couldn't care less if Sony died over this mangled marketing. It's not like they are the only source of games eh.

Comment

Indeed. I believe this is Nintendo's chance to recapture that gaming throne they lost to Sony back in the mid-90s.

Of course Microsoft will push for it too, but we shall see.
                      Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X