X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needed this image online.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LRB; 23 Nov 07, 11:54.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Well, I got Panzer Tactics for Christmas. Played through the tutorials, and now I'm frustrated.

I guess I just suck at games -- anything that involves a modicum of strategy or tactics, anyhow. I managed to win the four tutorial scenarios, but I can't win the third one (capturing a city) consistently. I suppose practice makes perfect, and I've only played it three or four times. But it's a tutorial, for cripes' sake; it's not supposed to be that hard. (Never mind that I've been playing wargames since 1968.)

I also started the Axis campaign. And yeah, it's very reminiscent of Panzer General. But there again, I started to get my butt kicked right away, and I got so exasperated that I finally quit.

What I need is somebody to take me by the hand and walk me through just what needs to be done. Otherwise I never get it.

That's why I liked Advance Wars (Dual Strike) so much -- at first. In the campaign, a new player would be walked through the game gradually and given useful tips on what to do and how to win. But my progress stalled at one point, and then I tried a regular map game -- and hated it. Turned into a futile slugfest that raged on and on until the scales tipped against me.

Speaking of Advance Wars, Panzer Tactics is a lot like it in certain ways. Only the graphics and sound effects are more serious -- and slower. And there's a real hex grid instead of squares (with diagonal attacks disallowed). The hex grid is a little awkward if you use the control pad, though.

Chess is one of my favorite games. Not because of the strategic and tactical challenge, but because it has generated such an abundance of literature. I read about chess and do problem-solving exercises far more often than I play an actual game. But as I read about it and do the exercises, I feel I'm learning more and more about the game.

It's not that way with Panzer Tactics. I feel like someone being "taught" to swim by being thrown into deep water and left to my own devices. If I stick to it, I'll probably learn via trial and error -- but I hate learning that way.

In case you haven't picked it up by now, this is really just a personal rant, not a commentary on the game. As far as I can tell after less than an hour of play, Panzer Tactics is a fine game. But my experience tells me that I need more guidance in order to learn and enjoy a game. OTOH, I usually reject offers of mentoring, because that makes me feel obliged to work at the game and interact with the mentor. I don't want to have to do that either; I want to just relax and play. But I want some guided playing, not just a series of trial-and-error challenges.
      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Sometimes Pat you just kill me with your posts

We bitch a lot about a game having an AI that is a total doorknob, and when we find a game that can fold spindle and mutilate us we complain (or at least you are currently ).

Yep the tutorials are hard. I have found I have been kicked around in them as well. Love it

I have lamented in the past games that were so easy that they get played out too soon and then they are not fun to play any more. Unlikely to happen easy with Panzer Tactics.

Chess is not an easy game, but so is Tic Tac Toe. Too few choices to make, too few moves to learn. Chess is ok to play, but too easy to get bored of too.

Now a game of ASL is in my view impossible to wear out. Steel Panthers has endless replay. The higher up that you go though, the quicker a game gets overly simplified as well. The opening turn in Advanced Third Reich is almost best just done as two dice rolls. I believe the magic numbers are a 4 followed by a 6. It's not relevant how you set up the Polish though.

Sometimes I feel reading non fiction on a game's setting is a good way to master the game (if the game is any good). There are not many books though on the art of wargaming in the world of turns and hexes.

Comment

FWIW, I went back to Panzer Tactics last night and played the first scenario of the Axis campaign. Won with flying colors. Guess I was just initially put off by the inevitable learning curve.

But IIRC, the Norway scenario in Panzer General was way harder than the Poland scenarios. I'm guessing that'll be the case in PT too.
          --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
            Sometimes Pat you just kill me with your posts

We bitch a lot about a game having an AI that is a total doorknob, and when we find a game that can fold spindle and mutilate us we complain (or at least you are currently ).

Yep the tutorials are hard. I have found I have been kicked around in them as well. Love it
            I've had a love-hate relationship with games all my life. Part of me knows I'm headed for a fight and will have to struggle to win, but another part of me wants to just sit down and play -- i.e., do something fun and relaxing that's not a struggle at all. The latter part of me is easily disappointed when the struggle begins.

Ideally I'd like a game that can sense my mood and adjust its AI accordingly. When I'm in the mood for a real challenge, it provides one; when I just want to kick back and fool around without having to think much, the game lightens up and goes easy on me.
            --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
              I've had a love-hate relationship with games all my life. Part of me knows I'm headed for a fight and will have to struggle to win, but another part of me wants to just sit down and play -- i.e., do something fun and relaxing that's not a struggle at all. The latter part of me is easily disappointed when the struggle begins.

Ideally I'd like a game that can sense my mood and adjust its AI accordingly. When I'm in the mood for a real challenge, it provides one; when I just want to kick back and fool around without having to think much, the game lightens up and goes easy on me.
              It's called Sim City Pat, you need to check it out
              I understand they are going to release a second Sim City for the DS as well.

You might also be a candidate for playing Heroes of Might and Magic. It has the wargame feel, but it's also not quite so intensely wargamish.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                It's called Sim City Pat, you need to check it out
                I understand they are going to release a second Sim City for the DS as well.
                Y'know, I've toyed with that idea over the years but never tried it out. Well, I tried the free online version of the original Sim City for a few minutes. And my wife used to own Sim Life, which I dabbled at once or twice, years ago.

Oh, and I used to own Railroad Tycoon II. I've never been interested in railroads, but I heard this was a great game, so I bought a used copy on eBay and tried it out. Impressive, but I soon tired of it and gave it away. In "sandbox mode" (no competition), it seemed like a pointless waste of time. And in normal mode it was maddening because I could never begin to figure out the financial dimension of the game (which I guess is the main thing -- and, ironically, one reason I got the game; I was hoping to learn something).

So, I don't know if I'd really care for the Sim type game. When I play a game, I like to fool myself into thinking I'm doing something worthwhile -- exercising my mind, developing strategic acumen, or whatever. I get antsy if I start playing a game that's like a set of Tinkertoys. Within minutes, I'm thinking I'm too old for it and have to go do something more productive.

You might also be a candidate for playing Heroes of Might and Magic. It has the wargame feel, but it's also not quite so intensely wargamish.
                <shudder> I've played my share of HoMM. Started with HoMM II when it was new, then bought HoMM III Complete. My wife still plays that all the time, with the WoG mod. (We also own HoMM V, but she hates the 3D graphics, so it just sits in the box.)

I do kinda like the small, setpiece battles in HoMM -- and also in Disciples II. What I don't like is playing for an hour or two and thinking I'm doing well, then suddenly running into unbeatable opposition. In that moment, I realize that while I've been lazily enjoying the game, my AI opponents have been busy meticulously expanding and developing; and my only choices are to quit or go down fighting.

Sadly, this is also a reflection on my life, I guess. My style is to meander through it, vaguely hoping my dreams will magically come true. But in reality, dreams come true for those who work at making it so.

Oops -- too much information.
                --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X