PS3 pricing revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 pricing revealed

$499 for 20 GB hard drive, $599 for 60 GB hard drive. US, Europe, and Australian ship date: November 17th. linky

The Wii sounds better and better.....

Last edited by gobeavs; 08 May 06, 23:23.
    "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Are you kidding me? That's genius. They had everyone ready to have to plunk down $800!
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Rumors have it that the cheaper version won't have wifi nor HDMI.....:-0

Until folks see a tangible difference between the power of the PS3 and the Xbox 360, why would anyone plunk down the extra $200? By the time the PS3 comes out the XB360 might even be cheaper, and XB360 games will have matured. In the "power next-gen" category, I see the XB360 beating the PS3, and the Wii taking the rest of the market.
      - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
      - Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm quite ready to make any predictions because I'm a sissy.

Sony's been underestimated before and they ended up with the lion's share of the market. I'm not going to count them out yet.

As for the XBox 360, I've still yet to be particularly impressed by anything on it although a good part of that is that I don't care for the types of games that seem to come out on it.

The Wii is very intriguing... I can't wait to actually give it a try and I'm curious to see how well it picks up with the markets.

I have to say, this might be one of the more interesting generations of console wars...
        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Sony have another six months to get their act together. Currently their basic system seems under-specced and over-priced next to the 360 and that's a problem Sony seem to have across the bulk of their products - being more expensive and of lower quality than their competitors - in the UK at least. However, Microsoft still need a couple of 'killer apps' for the 360 or else the PS3 will trounce it in the run up to Christmas this year.
          Signing out.

Comment

Agreed, XBOX 360 still has a long way to go, but this is definitely a massive morale boost for us XBOTS. Who in their right mind would pay $600 for a game console when it's competitor is $200 cheaper and already has a good base of games around it?!

Besides, the PS3 controller is a joke. Same as PS2's but with no rumble?!
            Please.......

Oh and for more E3 goodness, check my E3 thread in the General Discussion section.
            Alliances With The Powerful Are Never To Be Trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
              By the time the PS3 comes out the XB360 might even be cheaper, and XB360 games will have matured. In the "power next-gen" category, I see the XB360 beating the PS3, and the Wii taking the rest of the market.
              excellent points! I have no problem seeing Bill Gates lowering the xbox360 prices around November of this year...
              All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
                Rumors have it that the cheaper version won't have wifi nor HDMI.....:-0
                Confirmed!

PlayStation 3: What Sony Doesn't Want You to Know
                Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I think Sony is making a big mistake...

They're copying all the worst parts of the XBOX 360 launch and charging extra.

Comment

Of note: Console Prices By Inflation
                    Last edited by Overseer; 19 May 06, 18:36.

Comment

Very interesting...never knew the 3DO was the most expensive console in history. Might be why it tanked!

PS3 is still second most expensive however.

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeezer

PS3 is still second most expensive however.

We might need to work on our graph reading skills. There were in fact 7 consoles more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                          We might need to work on our graph reading skills. There were in fact 7 consoles more expensive.
                          I count 6 or 9 depending on which price point you look at, but in any case it isn't the worst ever.

But it isn't cheap, either. It doesn't matter if it isn't near the top of most expensive consoles ever, at this point it is $200 more than a very comparable console and probably about $400 more than the dark horse. At this point neither Blue-ray or anything I have seen out of the PS3 camp would make me pay an extra $200 for the PS3....unless they open up the system software-wise with Linux and let people take advantage of the Cell.
                          - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Agreed, it's not relevant when you look at current competitors, but I felt it was worth pointing out to those who were crying about the end of the world.

If something really nifty for some of the technology comes along I'll definitely be into it, but otherwise, it's quite steep at the moment. That said, especially assuming I get the job I'm working on now (stage 1 interview done, just have to hope they call me back for another) I'll definitely be picking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer

Wow, my bad Overseer. Too much coffee that morning I think, or maybe my anti-Sony sense was tingling, anyways...yes I see your point, but it is very expensive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X