I Got the Wrong PS3 Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got the Wrong PS3 Model

My PS3 arrived yesterday. It was supposed to be a 320MB model (used but in like-new condition). I plugged it in and got in configured and I get an email as well as a phone message from the Amazon merchant that they sent me a 160GB model by accident. I had no clue because when I was unpacking the system I did not read the fine print on the back of the console and externally they looks the same, I think. The console was shipped in a plain shipping box so there was no shipping box lettering to tell me this was the wrong model.

So the merchant is apologizing and saying if I send it back they will send me a 320GB model, free of charge.

This is fine but won't that give them access to private account info from my console? When I registered online and set up my PlayStation account the data was saved to the hard drive.

The dollars difference between a used 160GB and used 320GB is about $35-40.

I'm considering taking the loss and keeping the 160GB model. I had lots of fun with it today. The 320GB model may have more space for saving files, but I won't be using a lot of downloadable content so I don't see the hard drive space as becoming a problem.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 03 Nov 11, 22:35.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

You can always set up a new PS account. So as long as you haven't set up a credit card or any other sensitive info on your current account you should be safe. I would change your e-mail though.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

You should be able to delete than info from your PSN account if that's your worry, and then set up a new one on the next console.
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

There's probably an option to reformat the HD under the settings menu or something similar. You shouldn't need to change your account but do change your password.

Comment

Any chance of getting the merchant to just refund you the difference? If you don't mind the smaller HD it would save the hassle and expense of shipping your existing unit back.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelldrake2 View Post
            Any chance of getting the merchant to just refund you the difference? If you don't mind the smaller HD it would save the hassle and expense of shipping your existing unit back.
            Yes, he says he'll be happy to refund the $40 difference.

I'm not particularly determined to own the 320GB model, I just thought they had a good deal on one considering the asking price.

I've read posts from guys who still have the 80GB model and they never got close to filling up the hard drive.

Somebody would have to be using the PS3 as media storage to run out of hard drive space. I won't. I use a 1TB external hard drive for media storage.

Comment

Anyway, I played Burnout Paradise until 4AM this morning and man, that was beautiful on a 1080P flat screen and with surround sound in the room.

I won a bunch of trophies, upgraded my license and unlocked several new cars.

Comment

I have the 80G, live just fine with it. I don't have anything in my ps3 other than the game stuff so no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Castro View Post
                  I have the 80G, live just fine with it. I don't have anything in my ps3 other than the game stuff so no problem.
                  I also have the old 80G but in addition to game stuff I have a hell of a lot of music on it too. I only encountered issues though recently when I doubled the ammount of music on it. I deleted the info for some of the games I never play any more.
                  If you've got 160G you should encounter no problems for some time, unless you're using it to keep a lot of videos and music on.
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Unless you aim on downloading tons of stuff then the 160GB PS3 should suit you fine (as does my own).

Happy playing!
                    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Playing World of Tanks a lot at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
                        There's probably an option to reformat the HD under the settings menu or something similar. You shouldn't need to change your account but do change your password.
                        Thanks for your suggestion. I like it.

Thanks for this.,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X