Ordered My First PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered My First PS3

I ordered a manufacturer refurbished PS3 320GB at a considerable discount.

I chose the Sony system for political reasons: I don't like Microsoft.

This will be my first modern gaming console.

The last time I played consoles a lot was 3DO in 1994-1997.

I have a very nice home theater setup with a large 1080p screen and a Yamaha receiver/surround sound in the living room so I thought I was under-utilizing all that multimedia technology without a nice console.

Can't wait to try it out...

Here's a list of games I must get sooner or later:
    1) Burnout Paradise
    2) Dark Souls
    3) Street Fighter IV
    4) Mortal Kombat (the latest one)
    5) Portal 2
    6) Dirt 3
    7) Killzone 2
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 24 Oct 11, 12:11.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Console games have their place.

I'd recommend something like Guitar Hero - you might be amazed at how surprisingly fun playing an air guitar as a game can be
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I made the change from an Xbox 360 to the PS3 about 2 months ago. I don't know why I went for the 360 as I had always had Playstations (1 & 2) but I listened to my brother-in-law and ignored the PS3 when it came to upgrade. Long story short, I got fed up with having to pay for the pleasure of playing on line and I also wanted a Bluray player for the bedroom where I do my gaming, and swapped back to Playstation. I don't regret it.

It sounds like you have quite a home cinema system to connect yours to and you are bound to have fun on it.
      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Congrats!

I recently made the exact same step, after not owning a console since Megason I bought a PS3.

DO NOT MISS Red Dead Redemption.

Also liked L.A Noire but didn't go crazy for it, you should see if it's you're type of game.

I'd also recommend Dead Island (playing it now) if you're into the zombie theme and SOCOM4 but only if you'll buy the move sharpshooter.

Enjoy!

Comment

Indeed, Red Dead is a must. Congrats on the wise choice. I've had mine for about 4 years now it must be and I'm still figuring out new little tricks and ways to make it work in new ways/with other kit. I have a PSP now I use as a MP3 player with expandable memory and it takes the playlists from the PS3s own media library. So that's handy. It's all in all a good gaming console AND general purpose media system.
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I cancelled the order because Best Buy says its on backorder so it would be delayed.

Screw them, they don't have the items they are advertising, and they wanted to charge me a $15 sales tax, unlike Amazon which is tax free.

I'm going to Amazon.

Comment

Two words, Assassin's Creed! They are amazing games!

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
                Two words, Assassin's Creed! They are amazing games!
                Do they have nice worlds to explore? I will probably try them, especially if they're on sale in used Amazon games.

Comment

Brotherhood was very good, but the first one was quite repetitive. I hear good things about the new one set in the Ottoman Empire, which is fairly unusual for a game I suppose.
                  The options to interact with the wider world by sending your assassins off on missions and so on was quite an enjoyable element of Brotherhood- added a management aspect. And of course, plenty to explore
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm going to give you my list of must haves that are not already in your list (Dark Souls and Mortal Kombat are awesome) in case they sound interesting:

Red Dead Redemption
                    Dead Space series
                    Uncharted series
                    Metal Gear Solid 4
                    Dragon Age: Origins
                    God of War III (and I/II ps3 port)

Upcoming:

Skyrim
                    Arkham City

Comment

I concur on MGS4, it's my favorite movie.
                      Also, MGS-HD is coming out soon which will be well worth the get.
                      Saints Row 3, too, should be entertaining.
                      ------

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                        I ordered a manufacturer refurbished PS3 320GB at a considerable discount.

I chose the Sony system for political reasons: I don't like Microsoft.

This will be my first modern gaming console.

The last time I played consoles a lot was 3DO in 1994-1997.

I have a very nice home theater setup with a large 1080p screen and a Yamaha receiver/surround sound in the living room so I thought I was under-utilizing all that multimedia technology without a nice console.

Can't wait to try it out...

Here's a list of games I must get sooner or later:
                        1) Burnout Paradise
                        2) Dark Souls
                        3) Street Fighter IV
                        4) Mortal Kombat (the latest one)
                        5) Portal 2
                        6) Dirt 3
                        7) Killzone 2
                        Congratulations! Happy Gaming
                        "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          Do they have nice worlds to explore? I will probably try them, especially if they're on sale in used Amazon games.

Yes! Do they ever. That is one of the great things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
                            Yes! Do they ever. That is one of the great things about them.
                            I saw several gameplay videos on YouTube. Reminds me of the Thief games, with lots of sneaking and hiding, but little or not combat except when absolutely necessary.

Comment

Depends on your preferences, I played through Brotherhood like I was Errol Flynn, but you can sneak about if you like
                              ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X