Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I enjoy modeling, I enjoy Company of Heroes, why not combine the two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoy modeling, I enjoy Company of Heroes, why not combine the two?

The tabletop game, Flames of War has peaked my interest. I own a good air-brush (although it needs an airtank and regulator) from modeling.

I haven't kept up modeling like I would like, I have these weeks where I will play company of heroes for days on end with no time for anything in-between and then put the game down for a few months and try to work on that 1:48 scale B-17 thats been sitting on my desk for the last year and a half.

Right now Im playing the hell out of it, made Capt. in 2v2 auto in 26 wins for US faction and two days of almost solid gameplay.

But eventually, Im gonna get bored with the game and put it down again. I was thinking of getting into this Flames of War, I gather its a bit expensive but I was wondering if I could use some of the tactics used in the CoH game, for FoW in a table-top setting.

I would be interested in actually gathering up a collection of infantry and armoured fighting-vehicles. I do it in company of heroes all the time, but it all either gets destroyed or disappears upon the "You are Victorious" at the end of the round.

Im also wondering if the units in FoW act similar, or do damage similar to the units in CoH, I.E. For example the main cannon on a M10 Wolverine is crap for killing and wounding infantry and can only be used effectively against the rear armor of axis heavy tanks

Does anyone on here both play CoH and FoW and how do the two compare to one another? I might be able to create some free-space in my basement for a tabletop diorama and I have a friend I could probably convince to play the opposing faction if he wanted to play a different type of war game.

I have never played Company of Heroes but I have played Flames of War. It's a pretty popular game but the models are a bit pricey.

If you are looking for realism, I would look towards another miniatures game. FoW is more of a game set in the WWII era than any type of simulation. It's fun but you have to suspend your disbelief in order to truly appreciate it.

Ben
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

I have not played Flames of War personally but have heard a lot about it.

Like the Warhammer/40K series, the good thing about it is that someone is playing a game of it somewhere in almost every city of any size. Gamers tell me that it'll scratch your itch. It won't win on realism, but it's "good enough."

The one minis WWII minis game I have played is Command Decision: Test of Battle. I've been fortunate enough to have played with a group of guys who memorized the rules so I never had to get into them; they set up the game and let a bunch of us go at it. In terms of realism it gets high marks. It's my understanding the rules are fairly involved, but if you're looking for something meaty, I can speak from personal experience that it's a lot of fun. Just don't expect to have tons of players around you who know the game, because it's really a historical minis game, not a mass-market minis game that is quasi-historical.
      RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I've played CoH once. Loved it.
        Miniatures game never appealed to me.
        TRDG plays both. He's the guy to talk to.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

What you noticed is quite normal for games that try to simulate the realistic flavor of actual WWIII vehicles. The M10 SP you mensioned has a three inch gun and I believe one MG (dont quote me on that one). The stats you mension seem correct for the M10. It could only penetrate German heavies up close frontally or by outflanking in the rear and was venerable to infantry with an open top and less MGs.
          Minis games are a tons of fun if you do not need the video game instant gratification type thrill. I played FoW for a while but switched to AAM and number of years ago because of prepainted units and simpler rules. There are a number of different 15mm play systems out there FoW and AAM are but a few. Fow uses 3d terrain and AAM uses 2d hex maps. In FoW when units are damaged they are considered Bailed-out, pinned down and in AAM damages are considered disrupted and/or damaged. They have similar but different game mechanics but roughly work the same. Consider FoW a step up from AAM, tacticly and in complexities.
          The crappy thing about minis games is you need an opponent and time. I have never seen a viable solitare version of a mini game yet.

Cheers
          J_S

PS - My advice. Get into playing minis, regardless of what you choose you will not regret it.
          Last edited by JohnnySideburns; 25 May 11, 06:35.
          I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those little red knives.
          ~Billy Connolly

Comment

I personal like skirmish gaming. I use a rule set called Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames. I posted a game report not to long ago in this section of the forum. For some reason I haven't really gotten into FOW.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDJ View Post
              I personal like skirmish gaming. I use a rule set called Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames. I posted a game report not to long ago in this section of the forum. For some reason I haven't really gotten into FOW.
              Nuts! sounds like the kind of game I'd like to play. Haven't had the chance yet, but it's on my To Do list.
              RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I've played skirmish games using Nuts! for WWII we also adapted the rules to fight with Colonial Marines Aliens and Predators

Comment

We play a lot of WWII minis using Iron Ivan rules. Squad level combat. Rules are fairly straight forward. Works in just about any scale but 25/28 MM seems to play the closest to actual combat. Your entire "Army" can be as few as 25 figures depending on how many points you are going to play. Figures can be from any one of a number of sources - Old Glory, Battle Honors, Black Tree, Harlequin etc. Basic game runs about 3 hours. Real nice "Beer & Pretzel" games.

Doc
                  Doc Wiseman KC2SYP
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X