• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LongBlade
    replied
    Originally posted by Hope&Glory View Post
    This seems like a good place to post this D&D video/song. Enjoy

Roll a D6
    Nice. That is the best fething D&D video I have seen yet. Excellent find!

Leave a comment:

• LongBlade
    replied
    Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I've always thought of 3.5 as being the equivalent of ASL. IMO, it removed much of the power of a DM.
    I hear you, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Look at all the environmental books: settings in the desert became lethal. Settings in the cold became lethal.

Sure, players could spec all over the place, but if the DM required folks to clear progress paths with them first, it was manageable. The cool thing about D&D was it was scalable. If the players got too powerful, just make the encounters more dangerous

Leave a comment:

• Hope&Glory
    replied
    This seems like a good place to post this D&D video/song. Enjoy

Roll a D6

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by SGT Long View Post

Funny, I've played sports in High School and spent most of my adult life in the military...bust aspire to nerd-dom.
    You should see a bunch of drug-dealing, weapon-carrying, Cognac-sipping gangsters play D&D. It makes no sense to some of the people I've met...

People I meet in school still can't believe it when I tell them I play...
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 30 Apr 11, 09:49.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
    1st edition players handbook and DM Guide still suffices.. I started in 79.
    Anything after that remains lame.
    Always tought it would be cool to find a copy that had halflings called Hobbits.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
    I have got a ton of 3.5 books. Yes, it's very complicated. Yes, you do roll for negotiation, spot, etc.

But...a good DM will make allowances. What needs to be balanced is whether the person is exceeding the limits of the character. You may brilliantly negotiate with an orc and make a wonderful case why a villager should be spared...but if your character's charisma is 8...what is a DM to do?

That said, good role-play should be valued over good rules-lawyering. I have never let the rules get in the way of a good game.
    I've always thought of 3.5 as being the equivalent of ASL. IMO, it removed much of the power of a DM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalDog
    replied
    That's because you grease the skids with...well...you know...don't make me say IT!...

Leave a comment:

• LongBlade
    replied
    I have got a ton of 3.5 books. Yes, it's very complicated. Yes, you do roll for negotiation, spot, etc.

But...a good DM will make allowances. What needs to be balanced is whether the person is exceeding the limits of the character. You may brilliantly negotiate with an orc and make a wonderful case why a villager should be spared...but if your character's charisma is 8...what is a DM to do?

That said, good role-play should be valued over good rules-lawyering. I have never let the rules get in the way of a good game.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    Appreciate the offer. Someday when I settle down, perhaps I'll be closer.

I invested in the 2d edition mostly because it's a rural area and that's all everyone had I was told. (bought them on-line from a guy in toronto while I was in Iraq.)

Funny, I've played sports in High School and spent most of my adult life in the military...bust aspire to nerd-dom.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
    I still have all my 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. Modules, characters, dice, a large consecutive run of Dragon magazine. *sigh* the good old days.
    Yup, the good ole days, before you could have a character that did everything. I still have much of it in hard copy and virtually everything in PDF.

Leave a comment:

• MetalDog
    replied
    I still have all my 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. Modules, characters, dice, a large consecutive run of Dragon magazine. *sigh* the good old days.

Leave a comment:

• Centrix Vigilis
    replied
    Had a copy of that in mind but never got it....iirc that was the supp to the original....but ya got me beat Tsar...I tip my hat.

I played a fighter..
    then a fighter thief..
    finally a Ranger.

30 plus years later I still got his character sheet. When I DMed and I did for 20years my level cap for players was 20 (tho there were ways to become more powerful). It was a good time. Hard to find any interest in paper play now...DVD's and Mmporg's have killed it.

Leave a comment:

• Tsar
    replied
    Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
    Rookie (I was playing when there were only 3 small paper back booklets). We anxiously awaited Eldrich wizardry back in 74.

Leave a comment:

• Centrix Vigilis
    replied
    Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
    ^Sarge, you live too far away or I would teach you myself :-)

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
    Bought a bunch of the books (2d ed.) with the notion of learning to play...someday.
    Isn't that from about 20 years ago?
    Get on it man, before long everyone else that knows how will be dead!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X