Dungeons and Dragons 1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeons and Dragons 1987

Me and some of my friends playing D&D in the Oklahoma State University dorms in 1987.

I'm the one with the cool glasses lol.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...pictureid=4760
    Last edited by Captain General; 23 Apr 11, 12:41.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    Me and some of my friends playing D&D in the Oklahoma State University dorms in 1987.

I'm the one with the cool glasses lol.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...pictureid=4760
    NERDS!

Fortunately there aren't any pics of me playing over the years
    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

And that would be Unearthed Arcana in front of your friend without sleeves...who can't be topical?
      "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
      And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Gotta love old school D&D! The new one is far too complicated. Character creation takes half an hour with a whole lot of needless skill sets. Roll to negotiate, roll to cast spell, roll to see if you can open and unlocked door!

Six stats, armor class, THAC0, spell list. Everything else is the realm of your creativity. Good old days.

I don't like the new Shadowrun either.

Good times though.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Bought a bunch of the books (2d ed.) with the notion of learning to play...someday.
          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

^Sarge, you live too far away or I would teach you myself :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
              Bought a bunch of the books (2d ed.) with the notion of learning to play...someday.
              Isn't that from about 20 years ago?
              Get on it man, before long everyone else that knows how will be dead!
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
                ^Sarge, you live too far away or I would teach you myself :-)
                1st edition players handbook and DM Guide still suffices.. I started in 79.
                Anything after that remains lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
                  1st edition players handbook and DM Guide still suffices.. I started in 79.
                  Anything after that remains lame.
                  Rookie (I was playing when there were only 3 small paper back booklets). We anxiously awaited Eldrich wizardry back in 74.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Had a copy of that in mind but never got it....iirc that was the supp to the original....but ya got me beat Tsar...I tip my hat.

I played a fighter..
                    then a fighter thief..
                    finally a Ranger.

30 plus years later I still got his character sheet. When I DMed and I did for 20years my level cap for players was 20 (tho there were ways to become more powerful). It was a good time. Hard to find any interest in paper play now...DVD's and Mmporg's have killed it.

Comment

I still have all my 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. Modules, characters, dice, a large consecutive run of Dragon magazine. *sigh* the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
                        I still have all my 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. Modules, characters, dice, a large consecutive run of Dragon magazine. *sigh* the good old days.
                        Yup, the good ole days, before you could have a character that did everything. I still have much of it in hard copy and virtually everything in PDF.
                        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Appreciate the offer. Someday when I settle down, perhaps I'll be closer.

I invested in the 2d edition mostly because it's a rural area and that's all everyone had I was told. (bought them on-line from a guy in toronto while I was in Iraq.)

Funny, I've played sports in High School and spent most of my adult life in the military...bust aspire to nerd-dom.
                          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I have got a ton of 3.5 books. Yes, it's very complicated. Yes, you do roll for negotiation, spot, etc.

But...a good DM will make allowances. What needs to be balanced is whether the person is exceeding the limits of the character. You may brilliantly negotiate with an orc and make a wonderful case why a villager should be spared...but if your character's charisma is 8...what is a DM to do?

That said, good role-play should be valued over good rules-lawyering. I have never let the rules get in the way of a good game.
                            RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

That's because you grease the skids with...well...you know...don't make me say IT!...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X