X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomDeFranco
    replied
    Originally posted by hipshot View Post
    TCS - Semper fi. I'm struggling with the rules on this one...

WaW Blood & Bridges :

CC:P Scenario F Stalemate

and I have just played Marathon with my 10 yr old:

We had a blast!
    What kind of problems are you having with the rules to Semper Fi?
    Maybe I can help.

Leave a comment:

• hipshot
    replied
    I'm enjoying the following on the table right now!

TCS - Semper fi. I'm struggling with the rules on this one...

WaW Blood & Bridges :

CC:P Scenario F Stalemate

and I have just played Marathon with my 10 yr old:

We had a blast!

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    I liked Tide Of Iron, but it got purged in my last move b/c the box was just too damn big. I donated it to CABS before I left town (it was review copy I'd got for free; I used to donate most of them when I was done w/ the review).

Leave a comment:

• flatlander37
    replied
    I like Victory, Blocks of War. Fog of War and production management.
    Also Tide of Iron is working for me for solitaire play. Waiting for Fury of the Bear.

Leave a comment:

• Widow Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    I'd love to see the old GDW WW3 series redone as a newer game with some cleaned-up rules and better maps.
    Yes. Had fun with the WW3 games. Liked several of the Europa series they did also.

Leave a comment:

• lj1983
    replied
    Currently playing Combat Commander: Europe whenever I get a chance.

Hellenes by GMT for a block game.
    and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage

amazingly I have had the opposite problem I usually do. recent gaming saturdays have had the problem of too many people. meaning that 2 player games have been sitting.

Leave a comment:

• LongBlade
    replied
    that's weird - somehow my 'original' post ended up down below Tom's quote of that same post. Anyone have any idea how that would happen?

When I posted it, it was directly below Martok's gripe-fest, but now there are other posts in between... hmmm...
    Earlier there were reports of a time stamp issue. Not sure if it's resolved yet or not.

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    that's weird - somehow my 'original' post ended up down below Tom's quote of that same post. Anyone have any idea how that would happen?

When I posted it, it was directly below Martok's gripe-fest, but now there are other posts in between... hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    ^ Well, given than many of the game companies either have names for initials, or commonly-known abbreviations for their names, you're going to get a lot of initials when talking boardgames.

GMT = name of the company
    MMP = Multi-Man Publishing, but all thier boxes have their initials on them, too
    LNLP = Lock'n'Load Publishing, whose logo is a stylized version of the letters "LNL"
    GDW = Game Designers' Workshop, another company whose initials were on all their boxes
    S&T = Strategy and Tactics (magazine) which has only been around for, oh, 30 years or so.

As to the game series, initials can be a lot easier to type than the full names, especially when the names are things like
    Operational Combat Series (OCS)
    Tactical Combat Series (TCS)
    Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit (ASLSK)
    Civil War Brigade (CWB, tho that one isn't as widely known)

As to the other company names, you can make fun of "Clash of Armpits" if you want, but it's not like we were abbreviating the name of a prominent wargaming company (Clash of Arms).

But you know, if people are talking about names of the games - not initials or abbreviations - and you don't know what they are, nor bother to take the time to find out, then your petulance comes across as ill-founded... especially in a thread about tabletop wargaming.

Leave a comment:

• AdrianE
    replied
    I play ASL pretty much exclusively these days. With 1000s scenarios to choose from, I'll never run out of new scenarios to try.

With the active 3rd party manufacturers and scenario designers there is always something new.

The real advantage of ASL is that it is highly interactive. There is constant action/reaction with tough choices for both players.

I stopped playing games with the "I go/You go" mechanism as the down time between turns gets really boring.

Leave a comment:

• TomDeFranco
    replied
    ^ Well, given than many of the game companies either have names for initials, or commonly-known abbreviations for their names, you're going to get a lot of initials when talking boardgames.

GMT = name of the company
    MMP = Multi-Man Publishing, but all thier boxes have their initials on them, too
    LNLP = Lock'n'Load Publishing, whose logo is a stylized version of the letters "LNL"
    GDW = Game Designers' Workshop, another company whose initials were on all their boxes
    S&T = Strategy and Tactics (magazine) which has only been around for, oh, 30 years or so.

As to the game series, initials can be a lot easier to type than the full names, especially when the names are things like
    Operational Combat Series (OCS)
    Tactical Combat Series (TCS)
    Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit (ASLSK)
    Civil War Brigade (CWB, tho that one isn't as widely known)

As to the other company names, you can make fun of "Clash of Armpits" if you want, but it's not like we were abbreviating the name of a prominent wargaming company (Clash of Arms).

But you know, if people are talking about names of the games - not initials or abbreviations - and you don't know what they are, nor bother to take the time to find out, then your petulance comes across as ill-founded... especially in a thread about tabletop wargaming.
    Brant, actually the Civil War Brigade Series was the first series by the Gamers (1988, way before Dean Essig sold to Curt Schilling). Their first two games were In Their Quiet Fields (Antietam) and Thunder At The Crossroads (Gettysburg). Problem is, that they haven't released a new game in that series in about 5 years. They are revamping the Regimental Combat Series (now called Line of Battle) and I'm sure that the Brigade Series will now get an overhaul, too. The first game in the revamped series will be about Antietam (None But The Brave, I believe, is the title).
    Last edited by TomDeFranco; 14 Feb 11, 21:52.

Leave a comment:

• TomDeFranco
    replied
    Originally posted by Martok View Post
    I love BBK and OCD and I really thought ARW did a great job on HGG2 and AEIOU. Clash of Armpits was good too.

I posted this because with all the abbreviations I don't know what the frak you guys are talking about.
    Sorry Martok, I thought that most people in the gaming thread would know these abbreviations.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    I don't play any games other than my flight sim anymore, as my long time opponent up and moved to freakin' China. I could play some of the games solitaire, but I guess I'm getting to an age where it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

My favs are the same old ones they've always been. I like ASL and Advanced Third Reich. I have Panzer Blitz but I prefer Panzer Leader (which I lost years ago).

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    I love BBK and OCD and I really thought ARW did a great job on HGG2 and AEIOU. Clash of Armpits was good too.

I posted this because with all the abbreviations I don't know what the frak you guys are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• TomDeFranco
    replied
    Originally posted by BOB JAMES View Post
    MMP, GMT seem to be leading the way of game makers for wargame boardgames.

I love East Front Games and Magazine Games which cover a gamut of games.

What is your favorite wargames of all time and what are you playing now.

What if any game would you like to see done or redone in a better format.
    I love MMP's CWB and RSS Civil War series as well as their SCS and TCS series. One of these days, I intend to get more into their OCS series.

Also, I really like Clash Of Arms Battles Of The Age Of Reason series.

I also enjoy GMT's card driven games (the ones I've played so far).

A couple of the best games I'd played and enjoyed recently were MMP's Rage Against The Marines, about Iwo Jima, Scratch One Flat Top, S & T's San Juan Campaign (Spanish American War).

I wish Clash Of Arms would have done more in terms of play balance in their La Battaille series. Just way too much love of La Grande Armee in the series.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X