Virtual Table Top RPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Table Top RPG's

Juts curious if anyone has played any RPG's games using a VTT? I purchased Fantasy Grounds II a while back but have not really had time to organize an online group, mostly due to my schedule. Since there seems to be some former and current PnP RPG'ers on these forums I was thinking of trying to organize a one shot game or 2. If enough interest it could turn in a longer term campaign.

Not sure on the system used, might consider using the BRP (Basic Role Playing) system if the theme is modern/post apocalyptic or maybe something like Rolemaster or Castles and Crusades (old style AD&D clone) if fantasy themed.

Participants would not be required to purchase anything, I have all the licensed software needed.
    Last edited by Double Deuce; 19 May 10, 07:08.
    [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Interesting

I'll have to check into that and see what thats all about.

Cheers, let me know if you start a game up here on this!!

Tom

Comment

In searching around, I have found that your purchase of Fantasy Grounds II was likely the right choice.

I have yet to get down to look at the manual and see if it truly will deliver what I require for my own needs though.

I game mainly from a laptop, but my gamers are always present at the actual table, so I haven't been presented with a specific need yet to rely on a virtual table.

I play the 4th edition D&D design myself. I find it lends itself quite nicely to being run from my laptop. That and the PC Generator from my DDI membership utterly eliminates any PC generation work for the players and me.
      If you have a 3 player group for instance, you simply ask the group what they would hire for 4th man spot and maybe 5th man spot to make the modules work easier and then I just NPC those. But it takes only 30 seconds to invent instant PCs.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
        I have yet to get down to look at the manual and see if it truly will deliver what I require for my own needs though.

I game mainly from a laptop, but my gamers are always present at the actual table, so I haven't been presented with a specific need yet to rely on a virtual table.
        I think in your case it would probably not be needed as you have everyone "local" especially if you have the DDI account. WOTC will not create and release or allow anyone else to create a ruleset for 4e for FGII so you have to create one yourself. Good thing is this can be done by running some parsers that extracts the information from your DDI account and down to you FGII install (there's a little more to it than that but it can be done with some work).

I purchased a DDI account for one month to test it and build my basic 4e Ruleset (DMG, PHB and MM1). Basically the structure is available for free to add everything into, you just need to populate it by scrapping/parsing the data out of the DDI account.

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
          I'll have to check into that and see what thats all about.

Cheers, let me know if you start a game up here on this!!
          One thing I did was I decided to purchase the Ultimate License which means I can host games and none of my players need to pay any $$$. All anyone would need to do is download the base installer and install it as an unregistered version (similar to the demo). They can then connect to my IP which downloads basic ruleset information and shared content to their machine (encrypted in a cache) and they can play without needing to purchase the game or any rulesets.

If there is enough interest around here I would consider running a demo probably using the RoleMaster ruleset since that is what I am most familiar with. It also has a built in text chat client.

Comment

Since I mentioned Rolemaster I figured I would like some good places to see screenshots;

Fantasy Grounds: Combat Tracker

Fantasy Grounds: Character Sheet

You can see a bunch more here as well;

http://www.ironcrown.com/index.php?page=blog&c=14

One game set I would like to see would be Twilight 2000 but that is not something that is going to happen from what I have been hearing. In place of an actual T2K ruleset I have been considering learning BRP (Basic Role Playing) and converting T2K characters to that system.

Comment

I have role gaming scars connected to RoleMaster

Buddy of mine worshipped that design. Problem was he was also a repeat offender where running a campaign was concerned. We would all spend hours and hours to make PCs which he would never give any guidance to as to which types were totally pointless ie a rural class type and he had no plans to ever enter a city.

4 or 5 sessions in, and oh this campaign is just not working out any more, and he would scrap literally the entire campaign and start over again.

Let me tell ya, when you'e made your 5th Rolemaster PC in 5 months, you get a little snitty f the only reason was the DM screwed up the game and expected to start all over again.

Likely did a lot to encourage me to learn the fine art of running a game myself hehe.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                I have role gaming scars connected to RoleMaster
                RoleMaster is a lot like HarnMaster in that regard. You might as well dedicate the 1st session to generating the characters. I tend to try and build my campaigns around the PC's to make them relevant to what is going on or at least limit character classes/races to those that better fit the campaign. That also helps weed out the "I want to play an Elven Paladin in your evil party campaign" players.
                Last edited by Double Deuce; 19 May 10, 20:11.

Comment

Seeing as Im enjoying the current RPG you are running I would be interested in more information. As you know from your other game I havent done any RPG's before and generally dont get to much into all the magic however I may still be interested. Especially if you run a demo of sorts.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDJ View Post
                    Seeing as Im enjoying the current RPG you are running I would be interested in more information. As you know from your other game I havent done any RPG's before and generally dont get to much into all the magic however I may still be interested. Especially if you run a demo of sorts.
                    Anything I run would be low/minimal magic, kind of like the forum game we are running. I would probably generate everyone's character to speed things up as RoleMaster is an all day affair to create a character. I would probably provide the players with some options to choose from and build out the character for them based on their input to speed things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
                      Anything I run would be low/minimal magic, kind of like the forum game we are running. I would probably generate everyone's character to speed things up as RoleMaster is an all day affair to create a character. I would probably provide the players with some options to choose from and build out the character for them based on their input to speed things up.

Sounds good to me I would be interested in giving it a try.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

I'm thinking of continuing with a Viking theme for this. It will also take place in Harn but in a different area and different situation. I would likely make one of the players a limited magic user, probably a Shaman type since I know Tom would want there to be at least some magic.

Comment

Who, me.... LOL

I don't know, without some magic things can get a bit dull at times, at least to me.

I like my magical items as well (armour and weapons), and be it a simple healing spell, or a fireball spell you could cast, say once a day perhaps, that is'nt to bad I think.

When you get magical/clerical healing in there as well it can move the game and the battles along as well. Instead of resting for x number of weeks doing it naturally after each big brawl.

Any thought that maybe we could do some kind of knight action, say we are in a small keep, maybe being squires or something helping out a lord perhaps...

Viks are interesting but you kind of need them in their boats from time to time to really make them "pop" when playing them.

Cheers, it should be interesting to incorporate at least some tried and true idea basics, as we have a non-magival game we are playing at the moment.

Tom

Comment

Any thought that maybe we could do some kind of knight action, say we are in a small keep, maybe being squires or something helping out a lord perhaps...

Viks are interesting but you kind of need them in their boats from time to time to really make them "pop" when playing them.
                            You must have been reading my mind. I have a few ideas, and 2 of them are very similar to that.

One is a group of "knights in training" and the other is a group of huscarls recruited to perform some important mission(s) for a local Jarl.

Comment

I don't know, without some magic things can get a bit dull at times, at least to me.

I like my magical items as well (armour and weapons), and be it a simple healing spell, or a fireball spell you could cast, say once a day perhaps, that is'nt to bad I think.

When you get magical/clerical healing in there as well it can move the game and the battles along as well. Instead of resting for x number of weeks doing it naturally after each big brawl.
                              In all likelyhood I will probably go with RoleMaster which does have a unique system in that "everyone" can have access to magic with fighters having to spend more development points to get access to and increase their capabilities AND magic types can use weapons. Its a lot like Middle Earth in that respect.

RoleMaster is pretty rule/chart intensive BUT with Fantasy Grounds all of that is mostly automated. You just double-click the dice when prompted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X