The Farm House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Farm House

In my new adventure into miniature gaming I have been inspired to create as much of my terrain from scratch as I can. Part of this is due to limited funds as well as curiosity about my own creative ability. One of the basic terrain pieces on many battlefields are buildings. So my very first scratch built terrain item is a burned out farm building. You can see the complete process of making it at my blog The Command Tent.

Attached Files

Thanks for looking!!

That looks good. Nice and crusty.

I too build most of my terrain/scenary for the same reasons.

A good way to get a nice effect on burned wood (ie burned timbers): First paint the timber, matchstick, balsa stick, twig, etc, black. When dry paint with pvc glue (white glue). When the glue is dry to touch, dry brush with an ashy grey paint.

The glue dries at a different rate than the paint and creates a crackle effect, like burned wood that starts to segment.

You're getting me interested in playing again,
    "Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers...can you see how incredible this is going to be...hang gliding? Come on! "
    -Dignan

Comment

Thanks for the tip Im gonna have to try that when I make another building for my collection.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

if you use depron or foamcore or whatever is called
        you can make a nice 3d brick efect by drawing it with a bic ballpoint
        its time consumeing but once painted and dry brushed it looks great
        FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
        BAN ME NOW

Comment

Originally posted by ROOBARB View Post
          if you use depron or foamcore or whatever is called
          you can make a nice 3d brick efect by drawing it with a bic ballpoint
          its time consumeing but once painted and dry brushed it looks great
          Yeah I've seen some people use that and it looks great. Im gonna have to try that. Do you prime the foamcore at all or just paint right on it?

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDJ View Post
            Yeah I've seen some people use that and it looks great. Im gonna have to try that. Do you prime the foamcore at all or just paint right on it?
            id prime it first allso build it first before any primeing or painting
            cos it can warp.
            and if you can be bothered on the corners cut at a 45 degree diagonal
            it make a nicer join.
            to cut this angle
            say your useing 5mm foamcore cut at 90 degrees first then draw a line 5mm from the edge and then cut your angle.
            if you are left with any exsposed foam cover with pva glue (elmore glue) and the thinist cigarette rolling paper.
            hope this helps
            FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
            BAN ME NOW

Comment

Originally posted by ROOBARB View Post
              id prime it first allso build it first before any primeing or painting
              cos it can warp.
              and if you can be bothered on the corners cut at a 45 degree diagonal
              it make a nicer join.
              to cut this angle
              say your useing 5mm foamcore cut at 90 degrees first then draw a line 5mm from the edge and then cut your angle.
              if you are left with any exsposed foam cover with pva glue (elmore glue) and the thinist cigarette rolling paper.
              hope this helps
              Thanks for the tips, will have to try the 45 degree angle cuts that will make it look alot better. What do you prime with?

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X