Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody still play Lead Figure Tabletops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody still play Lead Figure Tabletops?

Or has computer gaming turned me into a dino-gamer?

I know old farts like me still play, but do the younger gamers still like historical lead figure gaming?

For me there is something about still being able to play with toy soldiers that attracts me I guess. Brings back memories of backyard trench lines, dirt clods, BB guns and little green army men. I must admit, when my backyard gets a bit weedy, I always have visions of dragging out the lead armies and having a game using the whole backyard as a table.

I know, I'm a senile, nostalgic old coot...at 43. I wonder if the really old timers used to think, "BAH! Tin soldiers? Why back in my day armies made from corn husks were good enough for my crowd. Tabletops? Who needs tabletops? What ever happened to getting down on your hands and knees in a patch of goatheads for fun?"
    "Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers...can you see how incredible this is going to be...hang gliding? Come on! "
    -Dignan

At one time I had something like 600 fantasy minatures. Orcs Elves Goblins Dwarves the usual things.

My friends had similar sums (a local store was almost giving them away).

I thought why not make a 4x8 gaming table (I had the room).

Those losers came over precisely once.

Still had the table though. But in time no gamers ever needed it. The table got rebuilt into a 4x8 dining table.

I would live to play table top, but it never seems anyone wants to play non fantasy.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I've been playing

Flames of War for about 6 years now HM, just turned 46 myself this month, LOL

Cheers

Tom

Comment

by your reconing at 38 im an old fart to
        but i have the same passion but alas not the space
        for the fantesy fix i have battlelore wich im painting up
        which is killing me
        but with the tapemeashuer type games
        im going with
        copplestone castings for the sci fi
        and
        valient minituers for me ww2 type fixs
        but the best i can manage is a bit of skirmshing
        FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
        BAN ME NOW

Comment

We sound like we're all in the same boat. We have the equipment, the drive but at the end of the night we end up at home alone playing with ourselves if we're lucky.
          "Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers...can you see how incredible this is going to be...hang gliding? Come on! "
          -Dignan

Comment

I'd like to give it a shot someday, It looks cool.
            However, trying to find a second party interested in wargaming...
            yeah, right.
            Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

One thing I've found interesting is that just about every where you go is a war gamer in hiding. They're like cloaked Romulans - you just have to find them!

www.theminiaturespage.com is the best single source I've found for locating clubs or players near you. The hobby is alive and well and I've been up and down the east coast USA and seen it. And there is always the remote play option too!

Cheers

Comment

Sure. I have tons (figuratively speaking) of lead. A huge 1/285 armor collection, 1/2400 and 1/1200 ships, 15, 20 and 25mm figures.

Everything from ancients to modern and some other stuff as well. Lots of rules sets too.

Comment

We had a game going at Connections.

Images at first link, liveblog at second

http://social.consimworld.com/profil...0dayton-oh-aar

http://grognews.blogspot.com/search/label/Connections
                  Last edited by BayonetBrant; 14 Apr 10, 14:06. Reason: images don't work
                  In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

I do Vietnam era wargaming, mostly at the platoon/company/battalion level using various rules sets. Ambush Valley seems to be a nice set of rules for quick play. I host other games at game conventions such as Rorke's Drift, Quatre Bras, American Civil War, Colonial War, etc. I even paint my own minis.

Comment

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

My local hobby store allows for table top gaming in store on Sundays from 11 to 2:30 (which is predictably slow for business I suppose).

Finally managed to drop by a couple of weekends back to find about 5 interested young lads gaming led by a chap our age that manages the activities for the store.

But it appears to be atypical Warhammer action. Although the older bloke is a Flames of War devotee.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Huzzah! 2010 just wrapped up this last weekend and it was an excellent boardgame (ASL) and mini convention.

Anyone in the Portland, Maine area should definately check out Huzzah! 2011.

Cheers

Comment

These guys are still around too:

http://www.hmgs.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X