No announcement yet.

5th GUARDS RIFLE Division Comrade Command Bunker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the commentary be any more one sided? Sheesh...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war"...Plato

Comment

• Mark

More of a heads up, this is what you may need to be prepared for. BUT the Russians only have 6 stands remaining, so your not that bad off, Your Company morale checks IF Tim gets good dice rolls will be key here is what I'm trying to say. So after I run this and you see the battlefield with no germans on it, you will be a little more prepared, and not as shocked, if you know what I mean. Face to face games you can see what is coming, net games, not so much......

Cheers, but don't lose hope, you still have a shot if the Russians falter in the assault, their arty does next to nothing and your Company morale rolls are good.

Tom

Comment

• Ha

All good, Tom, just foolin'. I await with great eagerness the apocolyptic last turn.

Comment

• Roger that

Just making sure here, Tim (I bet) is used to how FoW games can end very suddenly.

Cheers, did you see my two newest itmes I picked up on the other site yet, Tide of Iron and Panzer Grenadier? Alos, do you know anyone who has ever played Conflict of Heroes? I will get that next week hopefully, maybe ask at that great hobby store next time your there please?

Thanks

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Outrider View Post
            Could the commentary be any more one sided? Sheesh...
            I have to get REALLY good dice rolls.

Your Stugs are going to be really hard to take out hand to hand unless my arty and/or assault gun company does some damage first.

I don't think my Penal Co has any special AT. Not that we have to go down too far into the weeds, but if that's true, the best I can do is bail your tank IF you roll a "1" on your armor save.

But if the tanks are bailed out when the assault ends, then I get to capture them. My only real hope is that your platoon is heavily damaged before the assault begins. Not particularly likely.

And of course, all of this ASSUMES that I have good success against your mortars.

I think you've got this one...

Tim
            "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
            -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRDG View Post
              Alos, do you know anyone who has ever played Conflict of Heroes?
              Conflict of Heroes is a great game. I own it and have played it a couple dozen times.

The designer, Uwe Eickert (sp?) is also a very cool guy and provides a lot of support to the game.

Buy it. The VASSAL module is awesome. We could play together online.

Tim
              "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."

Comment

• Nice to see someone

Has heard of it, I already have it ordered for next week, Russian Bear, then hopefully Kursk at the end of the month!!

Cheers, I'll PM ya once I get the "Bear" Tim!!

Tom

Comment

• Congrats Armour11 (Tim)

You pulled out a monor victory here, as you may have noticed by now.
                  All in all a well played game with some tough obsticles to be dealt with, the mine fields, barbed wire, trenchs. As well as the well dug in Germans and all of their various Platoons from arty to a heavy tank and strong self-propelled AT guns.

What I might have done a bit different would be to take out the German arty as soon as possible. So you could manuever your forces with less risk of taking casualties and being pinned down.
                  It took me a couple games to realize this as well with the test games before I put this up for you guys.... So that would have been my "biggest" advise to you during the game.

So how did you like it overall if I may ask. I know and understand the time element here to start and finish up the game was more than a "tad" long, but was it worth it in the end? And what changes would you have made if you were running it, different set up, different forces, maybe a different mission?

Cheers, thanks again for playing this until the end and I hope you had a great time playing this as I did running it my friend. And are you still up to running the next one in the future?

Tom

Comment

• What can I say? Tim, congrats on a well played game. You deserved the win and I am glad that it went down to the wire. It came down to the last round and few rolls to decide the game. It's been quite an odyssey. I am open for discussion and critique as this was my first foray into miniature gaming and along with ASL, a return to wargaming after twenty years or so. Once I figure out the issues with our Kodak software, I will upload pics of the Tiger company I am working on. I also played today for the first time at Legions Games here in Pittsburgh. I will upload some of those pics as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outrider View Post
                      What can I say? Tim, congrats on a well played game. You deserved the win and I am glad that it went down to the wire.
                      Thanks Mark. But really, I'd call this one a tie.

I am open for discussion and critique as this was my first foray into miniature gaming and along with ASL, a return to wargaming after twenty years or so.
                      As you may have noticed, this is a very different game from ASL. For one thing, as the designer has said on more than one occasion, it's a game with it's roots in history. So it's not really intended to be a simulation.

I don't have a whole lot of advice, and I don't think you need much of MY advice, since I'm basically an "average" FOW player.

Having said that, from the experts that I have experience with, this game is really is all about maneuver. (That doesn't mean that it's all about armor, either. Infantry is very important for reducing the ability of your opponent to maneuver and for actually holding ground overrun by your tanks.) But it's one of the weaknesses of the "simulation" that the artillery is physically present on the table. That makes it very vulnerable to deep penetration attacks. It didn't play out in this particular game because of all the fortifications, but I generally play with some kind of light tank (Pz II Lucs for the Germans) that gets a recon move as well as a 16" regular move. Generally, I try to swoop in from either flank using those light tanks and chew up the arty, mortars or whatever with armored assaults. I actually tried to do that in this game with my heavy Stalins, (a couple of key Bogs prevented it) but that was probably ill advised, given the terrain I was facing. In any case, those light tanks (or armored cars) really make your opponent nervous. You'll want to keep that in mind with your Tiger Company. The cats are kewl, but they ARE ponderous.

I don't have very much experience playing the Russians, so I was a little bit out of my depth here. But if I had my druthers, I would have started the game with the Penal Battalions. Makes more sense to let them take the initial casualties (which they can better afford to take) and then send in the reserves to exploit any cracks that may have developed.

Arty duels are bad news if you're facing the Germans. That Veteran status makes it really tough to do any damage. Unless you're firing rockets, since you don't pay any penalty for ranging in on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. As TRDG pointed out in another thread, I probably spent too much time using my arty for pinning things (infantry) rather than killing things (opposing arty.)

The other key success factor for this game is understanding the rules. On the one hand, this game really does simplify most of the combat. On the other hand, the timing of some of the combat sequences are tricky (like assaults) and important rules tend to be overlooked or ignored. Some of those rules are key to understanding the real chance of your success. What you need more than tactical advice is real world experience. Play whenever you get the chance.

Tim

Comment

• DON'T mind me or

This old net game thread I ran, and the other two to follow, someone wanted to find it and check out what happened....

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X