What kind of boardgamer are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board Gaming vs Computers

I remember the hay days of board gaming back in the late 70's. Huge plywood tables, maps protected with clear plastic overlays, a dozen players involved. Sometimes it took weeks or months of meetings to play the game. For many years I even hosted a D&D game that had a world map and at least that many regulars. People even came from as far away as 60 miles to participate in the games. The Star Trek tactical battle game genre was extremely popular too. There were conventions local and out of state where hundreds gathered.

Alas. Then along came computers.. and they got better and better. We no longer had to deal with social environments or elaborate preparations to play games. Just stick a disc in a drive and play. People became lazy and self absorbed. Occasionally a few friends got together to play opposing sides, but turn based games were soon discarded for the first person shooter genre.

Nowadays people play "on-line".. and board gaming is experiencing something of a renaissance. An old friend even asked me the other day if I ever thought about hosting D&D games again. Humans are social animals by nature, not solitary predators. People will always come back together, to dance, to sing and play games.

Comment

Originally posted by waldron View Post
      I remember the hay days of board gaming back in the late 70's. Huge plywood tables, maps protected with clear plastic overlays, a dozen players involved. Sometimes it took weeks or months of meetings to play the game. For many years I even hosted a D&D game that had a world map and at least that many regulars. People even came from as far away as 60 miles to participate in the games. The Star Trek tactical battle game genre was extremely popular too. There were conventions local and out of state where hundreds gathered.

Alas. Then along came computers.. and they got better and better. We no longer had to deal with social environments or elaborate preparations to play games. Just stick a disc in a drive and play. People became lazy and self absorbed. Occasionally a few friends got together to play opposing sides, but turn based games were soon discarded for the first person shooter genre.

Nowadays people play "on-line".. and board gaming is experiencing something of a renaissance. An old friend even asked me the other day if I ever thought about hosting D&D games again. Humans are social animals by nature, not solitary predators. People will always come back together, to dance, to sing and play games.
      What he said . .
      [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X