Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of boardgamer are you?

I was wondering...
    If I had you guys around my table to play a boardgame the whole evening, with what kind of types of gamers would I have to deal with?

Greets,
    Stratego
    The Agressive type: Me, me and only me...
    12.90%
    The Diplomat type: I barter alot to reach my objectives...
    9.68%
    The Defensive type: I usually stand in the background and react with what comes along...
    19.35%
    The Standard type: Not too agressive and not too defensive...
    16.13%
    The Ally type: I always follow the rest and always have at least one ally at my side...
    9.68%
    The Cheat type: I'm not afraid to backstab or to bribe if pushing comes to shove...
    6.45%
    The Loyal type: I remain loyal to my allies and always fight till the bitter end, no use to barter with me...
    25.81%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Well, as for me, I'm usually the Agressive type...I'm usually the bad guy and I'm not too afraid to face an entire coalition if need be, it makes more of an heroic end !!!!!
    I'm also not too afraid to backstab an ally if this is needed to reach my final objective and if this is my only recourse...
    I'm usually a fun guy to play boardgames with, but, as in the real world power corrupts, I too can turn into a real jerk if 1/2 of the board has my colours !!!!!

Would you guys still want to face me across the table now???????

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

I am the Wannabee type. I bought a bunch of wargames on Vietnam and haven't played any yet

Comment

Except for diplomacy I have not played many mutliplayer boardgame. However in that game I tend to be loyal.

Miss Saigon I am trying to think if I ever played boardgame on the Vietnam war I cannot think of any that I have played. I did play an old computer game back in the 80's set in Vietnam i think it was a Sid Meriers Game by Microprose forget the name anyways.
        FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Nice poll here

It was kinda hard for me to pick, so I picked as many that applied, since you can do that multi pick, very nice!!
          It really depends on the game, and the opponents ou face, sometimes you have to be agressive, and others you just tend to go with what the "eneny" deals out to you, then counter it, if you are in the waker position, or your not sure what to expector what you are really doing. LOL

I do tend to try to take a leadership role at times, letting my partners try to do what they want, as long as it won't lose us the game, or KIA many units needlessly....... Otherwise, it really depends on my "mood" a lot of the times in general, as I suspect others here will relate to I think if we are all honest here.

Cheers, hey MS, why don't ya post what games you have, maybe we can play on on-line or something sometime here or [email protected]

TRDG

Tom

Comment

I tend to be too passive. I set a position and then work away at gaining small imbalances. Then it's an all or nothing strike when preperation meets opportunity. Alas, the game has usually ended before then.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I've never been a competitive type of wargamer, what I like in this hobby is recreating history, not kicking @sses.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                I've never been a competitive type of wargamer, what I like in this hobby is recreating history, not kicking @sses.
                I think that will be me, once I get around to playing

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                  It was kinda hard for me to pick, so I picked as many that applied, since you can do that multi pick, very nice!!
                  It really depends on the game, and the opponents ou face, sometimes you have to be agressive, and others you just tend to go with what the "eneny" deals out to you, then counter it, if you are in the waker position, or your not sure what to expector what you are really doing. LOL

I do tend to try to take a leadership role at times, letting my partners try to do what they want, as long as it won't lose us the game, or KIA many units needlessly....... Otherwise, it really depends on my "mood" a lot of the times in general, as I suspect others here will relate to I think if we are all honest here.
                  TRDG has covered a lot of answer for me as well. It depends on game, players, mood.
                  I try to be asymmetric: wily with the strong and violent with the diplomatic types ( I happen to know a lot of these... ) At times I just try to create as big a carnage as the game allows, upsetting all expectations, sow confusion and move in for the kill.
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                    I like recreating history also, to start off with...but then, as we are playing, I love finding out how history "might" have been ! For example, I love playing "Napoleon in Europe" and starting off in the campaign of 1813 and then finding out "how" Napoleon might have won against the odds there...I usually always play the French and the four times that I played it, I managed to win 2 out of 4...
                    That's what I like doing, starting off historically as correct as possible and then playing alternate histories...
                    I even have the bad habit of changing the rules ! For "Napoleon in Europe" for example, I made my own naval battle board (with 70 ships divided into 5 countries, each with a different name) , I created diplomats, "riskfactor countries" (such as N-Italy, Egypt, Eastern Prussia, Western and Northern Russia etc...) where it "costs" alot of soldiers to let them pass IF you havn't invested in field hospitals, possible relations with the Pope, the building of monuments, investing in building of strongholds, assasination attempts etc...

It's just like real life, and certainly not more difficult to play !!!!

Greets,
                    Stratego

BORG

Comment

There are three rules that I follow when organising Boardgames at my house:

1. Never let cheats play again once I found out...I HATE CHEATERS ! What's wrong with losing ??? If you play, play honestly and according to the rules...and enjoy yourself either when winning or losing...don't spoil it by adding soldiers on the board when I go to the toilet, lieing or using false dies...

2. Beware of women ! I don't know why, but I always seem to lose against women when they are across the table from me ! They are usually very "icy" and agressive when playing and difficult to beat !!!! They always manage to give me a hard time...

3. Stay sober ! I usually don't drink alot of beers or shooters when playing...I've done this a couple of times in the past and...lost !!! I have noticed other that drank a half a case of beer in one evening and of course...they suffered a humiliating defeat (if they were still awake at least in order to lose that is ). Two or three beers is enough for me for an entire evening ! I usually drink water for the rest of the time, to keep my mind fresh and clear...

Greets,
                      Stratego

BORG

Comment

YES History is KEY here for me as well!!

[quote=Stratego;944217]I like recreating history also, to start off with...but then, as we are playing, I love finding out how history "might" have been ! For example, I love playing "Napoleon in Europe" and starting off in the campaign of 1813 and then finding out "how" Napoleon might have won against the odds there...I usually always play the French and the four times that I played it, I managed to win 2 out of 4...
                        That's what I like doing, starting off historically as correct as possible and then playing alternate histories...
                        I even have the bad habit of changing the rules ! For "Napoleon in Europe" for example, I made my own naval battle board (with 70 ships divided into 5 countries, each with a different name) , I created diplomats, "riskfactor countries" (such as N-Italy, Egypt, Eastern Prussia, Western and Northern Russia etc...) where it "costs" alot of soldiers to let them pass IF you havn't invested in field hospitals, possible relations with the Pope, the building of monuments, investing in building of strongholds, assasination attempts etc...

It's just like real life, and certainly not more difficult to play !!!!

My biggest goal yet is to play a Kursk game with all the actual models, terrain and general starting out orders for the German side, using some modified (house ruled) FoW basic rule set.

Cheers, I really do wonder if I could actually "win" that one, or at least some of the battles there....... with my own tactics, but the same equipment and men as modeled per armour battle in Kursk in all sectors of the front at the time!!! Otherwise using the specific equipment and what the specific country had as to weapons and numbers is fun to recreate battles in general in WW II, I like a good challange!!

TRDG

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                          My biggest goal yet is to play a Kursk game with all the actual models, terrain and general starting out orders for the German side, using some modified (house ruled) FoW basic rule set.
                          Isn't there no PC game out yet where you can fullfill your goal and play the battle of Kursk Tom ???? It seems to me that there are alot of PC games out there about WWII...also gameboards if I'm not mistaken !!!!

Greets,
                          Stratego

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                            2. Beware of women !

Comment

I play for fun. If I win thats good, if not thats OK too. As long as I get beaten by a non-cheating opponent I have no hard feelings. I'm more interested in the enjoyment of the time spent playing than the end result, although winning is not all that bad. That is probably why I spend more time GM'ing events rather than actually playing.
                              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X