Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention All Axis And Allies Miniatures Players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention All Axis And Allies Miniatures Players!

This is a call for anyone who plays Wizards of the Coast's/Avalon Hill's miniature wargame Axis and Allies Miniatures. If you do--regardless of whether you are a newbie to the game or have been playing since it came out--please, sound off here! I am hoping that there will be enough ACG forum members who play AAM that we will be able to hold some discussions on the game in general, and army builds, tactics and strategies, trade lists, and personal advice, etc., in particular.

I have been playing AAM for 1 1/2 yrs. now, with two of my brothers (I am hoping one day to go to either Indianapolis or Cincinnati and play against someone else). I mainly play as either Soviets or Italians, though I do have quite a few British, American, and German units. I'm not extremely good, esp. as Italians since my Carro Armatos tend to explode on me (), but I have fun and get to spend time with my brothers at the same time. I mainly play 100 pt. skirmish games; have not tried any scenarios yet. I also do not use any House Rules or Historical House Rules; I tried some for a while but decided that, if I was going to play AAM, I was going to use the official rules, no matter how flawed and historically inaccurate I might think them to be. I don't have too many units, and don't spend a large amount of $$ on AAM; it's all about fun for me.

Anyway, that's a brief AAM snapshot of myself.

Also, if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me too.

Thanks!

Hoping I get at least a few people....

Sincerely,
    Alex
    CC

I'm holding a few hundred points on both sides, and I play about once a week. Recently scored several choice pieces over a website, but at $15 for a good tank it's just as good to pick up a booster pack every now and then.

The expanded rules came with a nice new set off maps too...
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

i gave up on A&AM after they changed the scale of the tanks in fact im boycoting wankers of the coast in general
      for me a games company should produce games for the love of gameing over the love of money not the other way round or at the very least it should be on a par with love of money
      however saying that i hope you enjoy your games
      BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!

Comment

I've gotten over the scale change, but it wasn't very cool. Now, I just sort out the pieces that are in proper scale, and don't use the ones that are too small...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post here.

I, too, was not very happy with WotC's decision to change the scale, esp. since they had issued five booster packs prior to the scale change.....not a very smart move on their part. I really don't understand the logic of those people sometimes......not only are some of the units' stats historically inaccurate, but they also have two completely different scales for the miniatures?!?!

But I am still playing AAM despite the discrepancy in scales. As someone pointed out on an online AAM forum once, yes, there are undoubtedly flaws with the AAM system, and yes, the two different scales was a bad idea, but, on the whole, AAM allows you to re-create WWII squad and platoon level combat on a fairly accurate level using fairly accurate miniatures.......all for a relatively low price, far lower than that of other similar systems such as Flames of War.

Btw Paul, if you're having trouble finding good tanks and other rares at relatively low prices (i.e. under $15 apiece), then I would suggest either using Ebay and bidding on some of them, or checking out these sites and seeing if there is anything that interests you that is also relatively inexpensive:

www.battleworks.com

www.strikezone.com

BatteWorks is having a sale right now.

Alex
          CC

Comment

Great Thread Idea

Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post

I, too, was not very happy with WotC's decision to change the scale, esp. since they had issued five booster packs prior to the scale change.....not a very smart move on their part.
            It boggles the mind. I can't think of one good reason to play hell with the scale, but Wizards of the Coast have made plenty of mistakes before. Considering their background with "Magic: The Gathering," I was actually suprised at how well they have done with Axis & Allies, both the Full-size and the Minis.

... yes, there are undoubtedly flaws with the AAM system, and yes, the two different scales was a bad idea, but, on the whole, AAM allows you to re-create WWII squad and platoon level combat on a fairly accurate level using fairly accurate miniatures.......
            Indeed, and it's more fun than using carboard counters, as well as quicker than having to build and paint 20 miniatures. I'll save that energy for pieces I wont be banging around and maybe dropping and stuff...

Btw Paul, if you're having trouble finding good tanks and other rares at relatively low prices (i.e. under $15 apiece), then I would suggest either using Ebay and bidding on some of them, or checking out these sites and seeing if there is anything that interests you that is also relatively inexpensive:
            Very nice. I just sort of followed some links out of Google to get to this site, I think. It's quite nice to be able to pick and choose your pieces, and they were delivered promptly. Plus, if you're into something obscure, like my friend with his Romanians and Hungarians, this is a sure way to play what you like.

Link to Single Unit Purchase

BoRG

Comment

hmm i might invest in some micro armour i could buy all the suff i need at fraction of the price or just forget it and buy tide of iorn
              BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!

Comment

Oi! I'm pretty new, but I love the game! I'm looking forward to hearing some stuff from some fellow commanders!

Comment

I have been playing since AAM debuted at at Gencon 3 or 4 years ago. I probably have 4-5 of every common, 3 of every uncommon and 1 of most rares.

I usually post the AAM previews on the ACG frontpage. I'm working on a column now about the new War at Sea set later this month. I live in Kentucky and I usually play every weekend either in Lexington or Cincinnati. I won 2nd place with a J-panther, brummbar, expert sniper and several SS Pzgrn.

I also had good success with the new PzIV commander during a large, 500pt game. His ruthless helped my medium tanks clean out an IS2 platoon after they were disrupted.

There is a great mini-con every year in Cincinnati and I am glad to see there will be a few games at Gencon this year, including a cool nazi occult/monsters special scenario.

I am the first to admit WotC has made a lot of bone-headed decisions w/regard to AAM and WaS. I boycotted 1939-1945 and was very disappointed with the North Africa map pack. My biggest gripe is the abrupt end to online support-scenarios, maps, etc.
                  Last edited by pmglasser; 09 Jul 08, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by pmglasser View Post

I also had good success with the new PzIV commander during a large, 500pt game.
                    What's the highest amount of points you've played, and how many map section did you use, or do you use a terrain mat? I've played 300 points on 2 map sections, it was pretty grizzly. In four turns we both lost over 150 points of units, and that made me consider playing 500 points on 4 map sections. It seems like the right amount of space...

BoRG

Comment

I think the max is probably 500 or 600 points, mostly tanks and planes. Even with 100 points of infantry and lots of high-value tanks, spread over 8 or 9 map sections, its still pretty crowded. We usually play up to 300 on 6 maps, anything more is up to 9. I have two sets of the 2in map sets, and another set of winter maps. we like to have some room to manuver, especially against the germans, flanking shots are important. I tried going head to head against panthers and tigers precisely once. plus, in bigger games it makes sense to take ground attack fighters like a stuka, tempest or p51. my opponent likes to play germany and once took 100 points in fighters! i always take a bofors for anything over 100 because I know he'll have a strong luftwaffe element.

I have seen battle reports from people who did 1,000 or 2,000 points-it takes about an hour to do just one turn.

Comment

Originally posted by vonKleist View Post
                        Oi! I'm pretty new, but I love the game! I'm looking forward to hearing some stuff from some fellow commanders!
                        Glad to meet you vonKleist---if you want to hear a little about AAM, then you've come to the right thread!

Looking forward to discussing the game with you,

Alex
                        CC

Comment

I have been playing since AAM debuted at at Gencon 3 or 4 years ago. I probably have 4-5 of every common, 3 of every uncommon and 1 of most rares.

I usually post the AAM previews on the ACG frontpage. I'm working on a column now about the new War at Sea set later this month. I live in Kentucky and I usually play every weekend either in Lexington or Cincinnati. I won 2nd place with a J-panther, brummbar, expert sniper and several SS Pzgrn.
                          Sounds like a nasty combination --- maybe I should buy an expert sniper and some SS PG, as I already own a Jagdpanther and Brummbar, both of which I adore.

I also had good success with the new PzIV commander during a large, 500pt game. His ruthless helped my medium tanks clean out an IS2 platoon after they were disrupted.
                          I have a Panzer IV Ausfuhrung H Commander too---but since I usually play 100 pt. or at most 200 pt. battles I have not had too much luck with him so far. His "Command Ruthless" ability is nice, but since I only had once chance to use it on another vehicle besides himself (a Carro Armato M13/40), I didn't get very good results, and the Pz. IV Commander is still a Pz. IV as far as defense goes (though he does have Sideskirts!); thus he was outflanked and killed by two boring old M4A1 Shermans......

There is a great mini-con every year in Cincinnati and I am glad to see there will be a few games at Gencon this year, including a cool nazi occult/monsters special scenario.

I am the first to admit WotC has made a lot of bone-headed decisions w/regard to AAM and WaS. I boycotted 1939-1945 and was very disappointed with the North Africa map pack. My biggest gripe is the abrupt end to online support-scenarios, maps, etc.
                          I have to admit that WotC has made quite a few bad decisions with regard to AAM (I'm not sure about WaS, but I can believe it based upon my experiences with AAM so far). However, I believe that they are still offering some online support scenarios; so far there have been three for North Africa (unless I am mistaken and you are talking about something else):

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...m/ah2008061008

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...m/ah2008040708

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...m/ah2008032808

Alex
                          CC

Comment

By the way Mr. Glasser, where in Cincinnati do you play AAM, and how often? I am trying to find somewhere relatively close to where I live (Cinci is about 40-45 minute drive away) where I can play AAM against someone else.

Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex Wilson
                            CC

Comment

Sounds like a nasty combination --- maybe I should buy an expert sniper and some SS PG, as I already own a Jagdpanther and Brummbar, both of which I adore.
                              Yeah, I've got an American sniper and a German Sniper, both are dangerous.

It's all about getting troops with the designations "Veteran." It make all the difference it defense and tenacity...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X