Advanced Dungeon & Dragons Battlesystem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Dungeon & Dragons Battlesystem

Had to see if I could make this work, going to take some tweaking but I think its very possible to setup miniature battles with ZunTzu. Testing using AD&D Battlesystem rules, box set came with sheets of counters that are easy to use. (right click, choose view image to see full size)

ˇNo Pasarán!
    crossing.jpg

punched counter sheet
    punched counters.jpg

fiddling with resolution and mapping out more countersheets, need to find a bigger battle map

battle1.jpg

battle2.jpg

Comment

I remember that from the mid 80s.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        I remember that from the mid 80s.
        Yes mid-80s, found a pdf with the whole countersheets, makes it easier to setup with ZunTzu. You use XML to define areas and then how many rows and columns, allows you to virtual punch the counters out.

Grabbed Durin's bridge from MERP module about Moria, Elves and Dwarfs hold off Orcs from crossing Durin's bridge in the Second Hall.
        moria01.jpg
        moria02.jpg
        moria03.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

I can remember playing a Forgotten Realms adventure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodstone_Pass
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            I can remember playing a Forgotten Realms adventure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodstone_Pass
            I remember buying the Battlesystem box set but didn't really play it much, you could spend a lot of money in the day. Lucky you can find a lot of the old AD&D modules on drivethrurpg or other sites.
            I have a pdf copy of "Chainmail" as well but hard to figure out Gary's Gygaxian grammer at times. I find the history of role playing games as interesting as the games themselves.

The Battlesystem counters were just an easy start to test miniatures. GDW's "Striker" might to fun, miniature rules for futuristic combat in Traveller. I just don't have the space or money for real miniature battles.

Comment

I own it, and played it last in 90 or 91. We weren't completely clear on all of the rules, but we managed.

It's part of my greater D&D old school collection, and I rarely touch it anymore.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                I own it, and played it last in 90 or 91. We weren't completely clear on all of the rules, but we managed.

It's part of my greater D&D old school collection, and I rarely touch it anymore.
                Everything is so grim right now, I thought, I really need some fantasy to find some sunshine. Been trying to hang out at an OD&D board to get away from all the politics being posted. I wasn't interested in large battles when younger but now seems a more structure way to step back into the game.

Studying the rules at the moment, hope to make some after action reports.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
                  Everything is so grim right now, I thought, I really need some fantasy to find some sunshine..
                  I've been trying this recently.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/home

It's different from war gaming

Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Doesn't seem too hard to tweak the counter sheets to make different armies

bluecounters3a.jpgredcounters3a.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post

Everything is so grim right now, I thought, I really need some fantasy to find some sunshine. Been trying to hang out at an OD&D board to get away from all the politics being posted. I wasn't interested in large battles when younger but now seems a more structure way to step back into the game.
                      Thorvir Hrothgaard is my username on one of those boards, though I don't think I've posted anything yet. Just more lurking and getting ideas for campaigns and such.

Studying the rules at the moment, hope to make some after action reports.
                      I'll be waiting for the results!
                      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

All right got my Red and Blue armies setup, and a nice battle area. ZunTzu does have a built in measuring tape, I am not really sure what its scale is, need to experiment.

04.jpg
                        01.jpg

Comment

Couldn't you use the grid squares as a rough estimate?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                            Couldn't you use the grid squares as a rough estimate?
                            Yes I was thinking of that. I actually resized the board to get the squares to match up with the medium sized units. I thought I could get everything precise, but the whole thing might end up being a rough estimate

scale.jpg

I was mapping all the other counter sheets, takes some time.

counters.jpg
                            Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 22 Apr 20, 02:18.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X