Which do wargamers prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which do wargamers prefer?

a while back I was thinking about creating tabletop naval minis game based around the early-mid Cold War with a focus on Vietnam.

more recently Iíve been considering something more in line with the Spanish-American war and allowing for customization rather than strictly using only ship classes that actually existed as they existed.

so for naval minis-game what is preferred strictly historical, or something that allows for some customization? (Giving the USS Olympia single 10Ē primaries instead of dual 8Ē for example)
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

For me, it depends on the level of gaming you're aiming at.

For skirmish-level games, I like the customization as I can craft the "squad" to whatever strategy I want to use for that session.
    For what I'll call "operational-level" games, the customization (in my mind) comes from the types of units versus what each individual unit's loadout is.

I know that's maybe not super helpful, but just my $0.02.
    `Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake.`
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by CmdrLee View Post
      For me, it depends on the level of gaming you're aiming at.

For skirmish-level games, I like the customization as I can craft the "squad" to whatever strategy I want to use for that session.
      For what I'll call "operational-level" games, the customization (in my mind) comes from the types of units versus what each individual unit's loadout is.

I know that's maybe not super helpful, but just my $0.02.
      Iím thinking more along the lines of the larger end of a skirmish game.

the lower end could be 8-12 smaller vessels(MTBs etc) 3-6 larger vessels (large minesweepers and larger) or a combination for an average game in my mind.

Comment

After giving this some more thought, why not consider both approaches?

Will the mechanics of the game change greatly by including the possibility of customization or historically accurate? You could approach it from a "gaming mode" concept where in the Historical Mode, all ships are locked into a certain loadout which matches their historical equipment. Then have another mode (say, Custom Mode or something more clever) where players can customize the loadouts.

I think that might bring some more replayability to the game. You might have some players who only want to replay historical battles as they were historically fought with as much accuracy as possible. But you may also have players like me who like to try out the "what if" scenarios to see could this battle have gone the other direction if the equipment had been different or tactics change slightly.

Again, my $0.02, but I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.
        `Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake.`
        -Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by CmdrLee View Post
          After giving this some more thought, why not consider both approaches?

Will the mechanics of the game change greatly by including the possibility of customization or historically accurate? You could approach it from a "gaming mode" concept where in the Historical Mode, all ships are locked into a certain loadout which matches their historical equipment. Then have another mode (say, Custom Mode or something more clever) where players can customize the loadouts.

I think that might bring some more replayability to the game. You might have some players who only want to replay historical battles as they were historically fought with as much accuracy as possible. But you may also have players like me who like to try out the "what if" scenarios to see could this battle have gone the other direction if the equipment had been different or tactics change slightly.

Again, my $0.02, but I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.
          That was an idea I had, but for customization I was thinking of a different era than the historical.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X