Tabletop gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabletop gaming

How many people play tabletop games with miniatures? By how many I mean how many on this forum. I belong to a group (one day we may become a club) who meet once a week. We play WWII Land/Sea, Napoleonic Land/Sea, WWI Sea games.

I would like to know who because we are always happy to share ideas/rules with anyone who wants them.

Well, I do play tabletop games, but they are of the Sci-Fi, Fantasy genre.

Nobody seems to talk about those much.

Comment

I play medievals, but it's been a while (a couple of years) since I've played, and I've moved across the ocean since the last time, so I have a lot of repairs to do, I'm sure.
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I play WWII tabletops whenever I can find them. I used to play Napoleanic stuff, but it wasn't for me. Of course, Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are nice, if you hae the money.

"This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
          Of course, Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are nice, if you have the money.
          I can't believe what they charge for their miniatures.
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
            Yeah, 10 years ago I spent over $200 to put a platoon together. I had to play against guys who could afford whole Regiments with support vehicles and tanks and stuff. I had a 3 man cycle squad for support, and a hover car of some kind. It's just too much for me anymore....
            "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

True. Especially the terrain. Still, I suppose if I add up the miniatures I have bought over the years there is a few dollars worth too as they are all 1/76 1/72 scale. Although I have to say I have never paid as much for figures as the amount required for Warhammer ones.

Comment

I recently became interested in Miniature gaming (I'm a total noob) and am currently collecting and painting my first force, an 8th army British Motor Company. I decided to go with Battlefront's Flames of War system, mainly because the system seemed inviting too newcomers (forum, boxed miniature sets, army paint sets and rulebooks) and seemed like a good system to get my feet wet with. I've also realized that its an expensive system and a time consuming hobby, but I'm not in a hurry and I don't mind slowly building up my force too its full size of 1500 points.

I have a Friend that is also building up his first miniature army as my opponent with a German DAK force. So far I'm enjoying the hobby side of miniature gaming and hopefully I will enjoy the gaming side as much or more.
                "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
                - General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Taranis View Post
                  I recently became interested in Miniature gaming (I'm a total noob) and am currently collecting and painting my first force, an 8th army British Motor Company. I decided to go with Battlefront's Flames of War system, mainly because the system seemed inviting too newcomers (forum, boxed miniature sets, army paint sets and rulebooks) and seemed like a good system to get my feet wet with. I've also realized that its an expensive system and a time consuming hobby, but I'm not in a hurry and I don't mind slowly building up my force too its full size of 1500 points.

I have a Friend that is also building up his first miniature army as my opponent with a German DAK force. So far I'm enjoying the hobby side of miniature gaming and hopefully I will enjoy the gaming side as much or more.
                  Keep at it. It's an absorbing and interesting hobby. Working out the scenarios is just as interesting as playing the game at times too. Taking your time is a good move too.

Comment

I play medievals, but it's been a while (a couple of years) since I've played, and I've moved across the ocean since the last time, so I have a lot of repairs to do, I'm sure.
                    I have painted a set of 100 years war type figures, English and French. A friend and I tried a few games with a basic rule set and it was easy to get through a game fairly quickly. Would there be a more comprehensive rule set you could recommend please (preferably free) ?

Comment

II play mostly boardgames. For minis, I play Axis & Allies Miniatures, but primarily solo play; though I've played in DCI competition as well.
                      http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Got me some Axis and Allies minis, but until my buddy gets a game going I won't say I play yet officially.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                          II play mostly boardgames. For minis, I play Axis & Allies Miniatures, but primarily solo play; though I've played in DCI competition as well.
                          What scale are the A & A miniatures ? I haven't seen any yet.

Comment

I'm not sure the Axis & Allies minis have a serious scale.

PzIII is 2 inches long (hull front to hull back)

Sherman and T-34 are 2 1/4 inches hull length

Cromwell is 2 1/2 inches hull length.

A Map hex is 3 inches side to opposing side.

Early edition sets had smaller vehicle minis, but they were enlarged to be to scale with infantry minis (I guess there were complaints). Apparently you can mix them though.

In looking through the game manuals, no mention is made of scale like 1/285 or 1/72nd for example.

They are prepainted though, and not bad looking.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                              I'm not sure the Axis & Allies minis have a serious scale.

PzIII is 2 inches long (hull front to hull back)

Sherman and T-34 are 2 1/4 inches hull length

Cromwell is 2 1/2 inches hull length.

A Map hex is 3 inches side to opposing side.

Early edition sets had smaller vehicle minis, but they were enlarged to be to scale with infantry minis (I guess there were complaints). Apparently you can mix them though.

In looking through the game manuals, no mention is made of scale like 1/285 or 1/72nd for example.

They are prepainted though, and not bad looking.
                              Thanks Paul. The stuff I have here includes a T34 from my friends Flames of war collection. It is also close to 2 1/4" in length (hull only I'm assuming) so that makes the A&A models very close to 15mm scale as my 20mm stuff has the Sherman and T34 at the same hull length.

I was just wondering as the A&A and Flames of War vehicles may be mix and matchable (although you would have to assemble and paint Flames of War models).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X