Paths of Glory - Game Review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paths of Glory - Game Review.

If you've ever developed an emotional attachment to cardboard units on the battlefield - then this game is for you!... Full Article
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Good review, giving a lot of detail on the rules.

I've played many WWII and Napoleonic-era strategic wargames. WWI is a tough one to get a feel for; it wasn't about Blitzkrieg or cavalry charges. Guns of August is the only other WWI strategy game I'm familiar with and I now only play PoG.

The reviewer mentioned "tough choices" near the end and this is the key, for me, in capturing the feel of WWI strategy and combat. When one plays PoG, there are so many things the player would like to do. The game mechanics force you to play certain cards in order to be able to play other (better) cards later. (Some early cards are a prerequisite for other cards.) So, not only is the player asked to choose between which of 4 options each card has, even if you do choose the Event option, it may only be because that Event can lead to future Events which may help win the War. Or, you may have a great card in your hand, but you haven't played the prerequisite so the great Event isn't valid yet.

"Frustration" is actually a word that comes to mind with this game--but it's frustration in a good way. It must have been a frustrating war to be in or lead. (Now, frustrating may be too mild when speaking of this conflict for those who were in it; no disrespect intended. But you get my point.)

The game is fun, challenging and you may learn something or gain some insight to why and how the events of 1914-1918 occurred.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X