ASL... not for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASL Jonesing

I used to play ASL in late 80's and it does become a life style. (Or can). A Buddy of mine who was single converted his living room into battlefield on big folding tables and we fought massive battles that took months and consumed all our spare time and even my dreams. He got posted to Northern Canada, and I was like a freakin' junkie looking for a fix. I tried teaching the game to friends who really had no interest, even my wife and then even resorted to trying to play myself. Finally I moved on to other games and started to see the first halfway reasonable computer games. But I never forgot ASL, and then Steel Panthers came along. It has helped my jonesing for ASL and doesn't consume my life.

If you get one thing out of ASL and games like it, it will be massive amount of work that goes into programming a game like Steel Panthers etc.

I also had a short addiction to MBT in the early 90's if anybody remembers that one.
    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
    David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by alanp View Post
      Not quite. VASSAL is the engine that is used to play 200-300 games (follow the vasl.org link to dl vassal for a list of game modules that vassal supports.) VASL supports PBeM and 'live' internet play of ASL; VASSAL does the same for many games, including ASL.
      Ah, ok. I actually just downloaded VASSAL the other day, I didn't realize that VASL was the name of ASL for VASSAL.

Damn, that was a confusing sentence.

Thanks again for the info and clarifications.
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
        Ah, ok. I actually just downloaded VASSAL the other day, I didn't realize that VASL was the name of ASL for VASSAL.

Damn, that was a confusing sentence.

Thanks again for the info and clarifications.
        Not sure this has been mentioned yet in this thread BUT, once you get VASL running on you computer, download this PDF document: Basic Infantry Example of Play

Set the scenario up in VASL and walk through it as you read. I found it a great help in getting me back up to speed after a 20+ year ASL hiatus.
        [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

I started playing Sl in 81 or so and found it quite enjoyable. Cross of Iron really turned me on. Crescendo of Doom did nothing for me and I never purchased GI: Anvil of Victory. When ASL came out i was turned off by the fact that you had to buy a whole new system that had a similar name so I didn't start it.

When I went back to college, there was a gaming group that would play many different types of games and quite a few would play ASL. Eventually I picked up ASL and was hooked. I picked every major module when they came out and all the Annuals. I loved, and still do, Red Barricades. I felt that this was what made ASL stand out from every other game. The depth of playability of this monster showed me what a great system ASL was.

After my college days my ASL playing time went down significantly. I still purchased many of the modules and the Journals, but lack of time, and space, made playing the game an almost impossibility. I still have all my stuff but have not played in almost 10 years.

When Valor of the Guards comes out soon, I may get it. Other than that I probably won't get into it much more.
          "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Let's just say that it was worth it for me. Maybe I'll not always have time to play it but I'm glad that I have it and it's going to stay there, ready as always.

I don't think I could actually play VASSAL though. It just seems really unappealing to simulate a simulation on a computer.

Comment

I played my first game of ASL in about a year last weekend. I've played some ASLSK by email, but this is my first ASL FtF in a while. Had a lot of fun and played a very exciting game (ASL19 Backs to the Sea). I won as the Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                I played my first game of ASL in about a year last weekend. I've played some ASLSK by email, but this is my first ASL FtF in a while. Had a lot of fun and played a very exciting game (ASL19 Backs to the Sea). I won as the Germans.
                Duncan,

Try and cntinue to play FtF if/when you can.
                Kevin Kenneally
                Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X