Okay, need help with World War One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, need help with World War One

I've searched the web as best as I could here at work, but haven't found much to help me out. I was hoping to find a Axis and Allies game clone that is set during World War One. I found the Great War (http://advancedaxisandallies.com/page9.html) but from the pics it looks convoluted as hell, and the price is staggeringly prohibited for me.

So, anyone got any ideas to help me out with?

Thank you very much
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Guild of Blades - Axis and Allies Variants and Full Games

Howdy,

There's a small company called Guild of Blades that makes variant games for Axis and Allies, including an enormous WWI version that itself has modules for Africa, Asia, and North America. You can see one of their games on e-bay at this url:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Axis-and-Allies-...QQcmdZViewItem

Check them out. I have a copy of the base game, and though it has some rather unothodox concepts, it's not too bad. Just ignore the things you find a bit outlandish (like the early development of Radar for naval warfare).

Good Luck,
    Tom Cundiff
    Old Soldiers Magazine

Comment

Thank you very much for the help. I'll definitely check it out.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

By the way, there's a thread for Indiana Wargamers at this address:

http://monstergame.proboards85.com/index.cgi?

I live in IN myself and know the state is not exactly awash in wargamers. So, this site may help you find opponents.

Comment

And I will check that out, as well.

Thank you for the links.

Comment

There are two WW1 games that I am looking at:
            GMT has a strategic level game with many what-ifs: Great War in Europe Delux.
            The only downside I can see is that it has many corrections, so you'll need to find a way to print replacement counters. That really sucks but the game sounds so good.
            http://www.gmtgames.com/p-113-the-gr...e-edition.aspx

The other is the Avalanche Press tactical game covering the early days of WW1. It will play much like their WW2 system but with some differences. It is expensive but there are enough opinions on Panzergrenadier to help make up your mind.
            http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameEmpiresEnd.php

Comment

If you're looking for a serious tactical game, then avoid Phalanx's First World War from Ted Racier. Ted really knows his stuff, but this game is more of a one-sitting beer-and-pretzels game with a healthy dose of bluffing and strategic reinforcement. Not too much tactical play. Easy to learn and play, and fun for what it is. But A&A is more complex.
              In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

Paths Of Glory, also from GMT is probably the best WW1 game out there

it gets my vote as best board wargame

it's cardboard crack
                The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved.

- Gore Vidal

Comment

Thank you for the ideas. I did find The Great War from Imp Games...though they don't seem to be actually producing this game (yet?). Its an Axis and Allies clone, set in WWI.

Comment

I hear lots of good things about GMT's card driven games, like Paths of Glory. I haven't tried any in the series though. One reason is that I really do like hexes and more traditional, grognard wargames. The other is because I don't want to get hooked on a new series.

Comment

I would definitely recommend Paths of Glory for a WWI strategy game. I was a pure(!) hex-grog (ASL is the greatest wargame ever in my book) but I got used to the area movement and card-driven aspect of PoG. In fact, the choices you face with the cards (each card has 2-3 uses; use one and the others can't be used until the card comes up again--maybe in your opponent's hand; you need to play some cards in a certain order, too, to get the benefit of the later cards) that re-creates for me the 'feel' of WWI. I have The Guns of August, AH's old WWI hex-based wargame and prefer PoG.

Comment

I recommend Death in the Trenches

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15391

Ok the Map rather sucks but the
                        counters are beautiful & you'll find
                        a massive amount of detail without
                        a ton of rules.All for about $25.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dwarf View Post
                          I recommend Death in the Trenches

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15391

Ok the Map rather sucks but the
                          counters are beautiful & you'll find
                          a massive amount of detail without
                          a ton of rules.All for about $25.
                          Whoa that really looks bizarre! A Chinese Expeditionary Force?

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                            I don't want to get hooked on a new series.
                            If I may add one more thing: Barbarossa to Berlin is the WWII equivalent to PoG but I don't enjoy it at all. Again, it's a 'feel' thing--WWI and -II were two different animals in a sense and the static nature of WWI doesn't fit with the movement nature of WWII. The card-driven game mechanics don't work--for me--in BtB. You won't necessarily get hooked on a new series. Just my opinion, of course, but there you go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X