Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk

I'm getting Risk for Christmas! I haven't played that game since I was a kid!

... um, so, anyone want to give me any pointers? Anyone still play the game?
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Computer or boardgame?

Comment

Boardgame.

(Hence the posting in this forum.)
      Last edited by mirrorshades; 07 Dec 07, 23:03.

Comment

Good for u...that ole boy remains a classic and many a tourny was played eons ago with that rascal.

Hold S. America and Australia as spring boards....

b.
        CV

Comment

Yes, hold Australia at Siam. Unlike the computer version there are no cross water ties between Australia and South America so that you can hole up at Siam.

I always put my Continental reinforcements in Siam to reinforce my hold on that continental group and then concentrated the rest of my forces on taking South America as suggested above. When doing so, it's important to take Central America and North Africa to both protect your South American holdings (once that is accomplished) as well as to prevent your opponents from gaining the extra continental reinforcements for those regions. If you can do this, then your opponents are left to fight for the only remaining continent they can possibly hold (Europe).

While they beat themselves to death trying to either take down your defenses in Central America, North Africa, and Siam or fighting amongst themselves in Europe, Asia, and North America you can quietly begin efforts to seal off Africa, which is your next target. Some prefer to take North America at this point instead of Africa, and there's something to be said for that. By doing so you add only one more point of contact between your foces and your enemies (exchanging Central America for Iceland and Kamchatka) but you do get the extra armies for North America as well as those for the additional territories. Africa does nearly the same, but it increases the number of contact points by 2 or 3 while the North American strategy adds only 1 more contact point.

When trying to build an empire it is important to limit the number of contact points where your opponents can come into contact with your forces. By doing that you concentrate your forces into fewer territories for defense.

The difficulty with North America is that you can't seal off the continent to deal with internal problems later. In North Africa you can walk all the way across to the Middle East sealing the rest of Africa off, then, once an adequate defensive force has been built along the North African coast line, you can work to pick off the remainder of the interior of Africa. But, the odds are that in North America, you will not be able to so easily seal off the continent preventing your opponent from easily attacking you.

But, no matter which strategy you choose, your targets in order become Australia, S. America, (eitiher N. America or Africa), Europe, and finally Asia.

Comment

I usually take N America after S America since it's easier to defend, ie. Iceland and Alaska.
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

That's a viable option if you choose South America first. But, it is better at that point to defend in Iceland and Kamchatka (outside the actual N. American continental boundaries). By doing so you remove two continents from your opponent's grasp which further strengthen's your position. Always better to defend on "their" territory than upon your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Cundiff View Post
                That's a viable option if you choose South America first. But, it is better at that point to defend in Iceland and Kamchatka (outside the actual N. American continental boundaries). By doing so you remove two continents from your opponent's grasp which further strengthen's your position. Always better to defend on "their" territory than upon your own.
                Yup, just couldn't remember what was on the other side of Alaska, much less spell it .

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                  Yup, just couldn't remember what was on the other side of Alaska, much less spell it .
                  That's Canada, Scott. You know, were Ducan lives
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It's almost like an entirely different country isn't it? I hear 1/72nd scale is real big up there....

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                      Hehe, yea I can relate, but in this case there's been too many games of Risk played since 1970 for me to forget it. In fact I've probably played more games of Risk both board and computer than any other "wargame" (not that Risk is really a wargame by Grognard standards).

I used to take that thing to school with me way back in .... well, we were still in Viet Nam and some of the younger teachers at school were wearing those "remembrance bracelets". Those obnoxious liberal teachers way back then were so offended by a "warlike" game being in their school that they forbid me and my friends from brinigng our copies to school. So, I switched to "Stalingrad" which confused them as they couldn't readily make the correlation between cardboard counters and warfare. Neither did most of them have any idea of what Stalingrad was, where it was, or why it was important. This was in the 70-74 time period. There's another thread here that addresses much of what I'm alluding to, regarding the apologies of the Babyboomer Generation that says things so much more elegantly.

Anyway, those Ruski names can sure be confusing I have to admit. Irkutsk and Yakutsk would probably be the other two most difficult to remember and spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cundiff View Post
                        Hehe, yea I can relate, but in this case there's been too many games of Risk played since 1970 for me to forget it. In fact I've probably played more games of Risk both board and computer than any other "wargame" (not that Risk is really a wargame by Grognard standards).
                        I can relate. We played so much Risk and Axis and Allies in Kuwait that we eventually combined the two games. Considering I have no luck at dice, ie. roll high in ASL and low in Risk, I'm surprised I hung in for as long as I did.

Comment

I always had surprising luck with dice in Risk games. But, extend that to more complex wargames and I get killed. Box Cars in SL were SOP and there wasn't an Exchange result I couldn't roll as the German attacking Russians in things like Stalingrad, The Russian Campaign, or Russian Front.

In fact I'm playing a game of Sand in the Whirlwind (KPG) and I'm taking no chances by attacking no more than 2 or three units per turn and surrounding those units as best I can to insure retreat results don't plague me. With 5:1 attacks there's only a 1/6th chance of a Retreat result on the CRT and already I've been rolling a solid 33% Retreat result (twice the norm). My goal is to eliminate 2 units a turn, which I figure will come out with my opponent's demise two turns before the end of the game merely from attrition. So limiting my attacks to only 2 or 3 a turn, permitting me a solid overkill in combat factors against those few, I hope to beat the dice at their own game.

Comment

RISK is an awesome game, and should be a staple in every boardgamers arsenal! The new versions are quite nice as well, especially 2210. My favorite classic style is the 1975 version with the triangle and star pieces...look on EBay for them.

Anyway, great advice above. The southern half of the board is easier to hold than the northern continent territories. Not mentioned to this point are the cards. Try and hang on from turning in match sets until the #'s are greater. And if you can knock out a player later in the game and secure their cards, all the better...but don't get greedy in the attempt.

One home rule a lot of my friends and I play at game start are to place initial arrmies to the deal of the cards, rather than placing at random. That can speed up game set-up time.

For faster games, we sometimes also play the first turn in of cards at 5, the 10, 15, 20, etc., rather than the 3,6,8, etc.

Enjoy!
                            http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Excellent excellent advice... thanks to all. I recall playing as a kid, but not much, and I'm sure we probably didn't play it "right" anyway.

Now, to find someone in my area to play with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X