Clipping Counter Corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping Counter Corners

So, I've decided to jump into the world of Panzer Grenadier, and I punched out the countersheet for their Airborne introductory game last night. Now, I was sitting at the kitchen table, diligently clipping the "fuzzy corners" off of the counter corners (from breaking them out of the sheet tree) with a pair of fingernail clippers (is this too much information?), and I started wondering...."OK, is this a little weird?"

My question to all of you is, are there others out there that do the same??(Please say yes)
    http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

I'm slowly doing the same thing with my ASL counters. I clip them as I bring them out or put them away. I find them a lot easier to handle with the corners clipped and less prone to peeling.

Comment

No but there is quite the controversy about clipping the corners so they sit next to other counters better. If you want to do without clipping all the fuzzies off you can cut the counters out with a hobby knife.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Many people do this--although I am not one of them and see no point in it; hmm, maybe it is a little weird--but go for it: you're supposed to enjoy your hobbies and Panzer Grenadier is a game.

Comment

I have done this with games that have a bunch of smaller counters. ASL being the primary one. No, it's not wierd, most ASLers, that I know/knew did this.
          "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

An ASLer will actually show you that there is varying WAYS to clip counters actually.

But, I'm an old school wargamer, and it's often required of games that feature high counter density on the map.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Just glad to hear I'm not the only one to do this.
              Thanks

Comment

Ok, what the heck are you guys talking about? Do you mean the little dots/tufts that remain when you punch them out of the board?

Is it really that controversial of a thing to do?
                "I am not an atomic playboy."
                Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                  Ok, what the heck are you guys talking about? Do you mean the little dots/tufts that remain when you punch them out of the board?

Is it really that controversial of a thing to do?
                  In a wargame with nearly no counter density, its not worth it. AH Afrika Korps would be a good example of a wargame not needing it.

But ASL, where nit picking fussy alignment of counters, and hidden contents of stacks. Well if you move a counter, and the corner catches a stack, knocks it over, and reveals the hidden contents, well presto secret is out, and you might have just blown the game for someone. Yep it counts if the counters are clipped.

Isn't important if you only play solo of course. Isn't important if you only play via online.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Way back in my board wargaming days, I did take to clipping the corners of unit-counters. At first I painstakingly did it with an X-acto knife. Later I came up with the shortcut of using a nail clipper.

It was important enough to me to seem worth the effort.

I always hated that the games were all cheap paper and cardboard in the first place (I'm the kind of guy who can admire a finely crafted chess set), so the last thing I wanted was a reminder that the game pieces are nothing but die-cut cardboard. Whatever I could do to improve things was a step in the right direction.

For a short time in the 1970s, one company took a shot at making wargames with plastic unit-counters. I was hoping it'd catch on -- maybe as a stepping-stone toward games with high-quality ceramic or polished-wood counters. But it was just a flash in the pan. Unfortunately, wargames just aren't as refined (or widely popular) as classic games like chess and go. So, while you can spend ten thousand dollars on a fine chess or go set, you'll probably never find that kind of quality in a wargame -- unless you get into miniatures.
                    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Wow, great responses everyone! I appreciate it.
                      http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Yes, I do it too. It irritates me to see tatty counters. Also if the map is paper, I cover it with fablon (the brand name of a clear plastic coating in the UK). It's easy to wipe clean of coffee spillages, dust etc, and looks much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                          So, I've decided to jump into the world of Panzer Grenadier, and I punched out the countersheet for their Airborne introductory game last night. Now, I was sitting at the kitchen table, diligently clipping the "fuzzy corners" off of the counter corners (from breaking them out of the sheet tree) with a pair of fingernail clippers (is this too much information?), and I started wondering...."OK, is this a little weird?"

My question to all of you is, are there others out there that do the same??(Please say yes)
                          No, but now I think I'm weird. I've complained over and over about how the pieces on board games always get "hooked" on each other, or don't stack/unstack properly, but never took the extra step to remove those pesky corner thingees.

Thanks for the idea.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                            In a wargame with nearly no counter density, its not worth it. AH Afrika Korps would be a good example of a wargame not needing it.
                            ... and Blitzkrieg is one where you do need to do it.
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I trim the small "tufts" of material off the counter edges. Never clipped corners.

Games that have many units deployed/stacked I use small 1" long pins with round colored heads. Push the pin thru the counter and into the center of the hex. Great for househeeping and you can move the map/maps without disturbing the deployment. Maps that were not mounted(SPI) would need to be taped to cardboard. If need be you can carefully trim and lift the tape for folding/storing maps in original boxes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X