Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the Boardgames Are

Where the Boardgames Are

Next time you get that strategy itch, don't pop a ROM in your Xbox 360. Instead, slap a board on your kitchen table.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

I'm just leaving work for school. When I get home tonight I'll be working on a PBEM game of ASLSK. PC games just don't seem to have the same comforting effect as the feel of dice and smell of cardboard.

Comment

I'm pleased to say (very pleased actually) that in my relatively speaking small town, there is currently a store selling both electronic type gaming as well as physical type gaming ie board games/card games.

Additionally the hobby store usually thought of as a model/craft store, has recently been bought and then expanded to market table top miniatures and also the board game option. Further, they have provisions for in store gaming. And while they might be geared mainly to indulge the miniatures crowd, where there are gamers, there is a chance for a board game.

At the very least it provides me with a place where I can advertise an interest in finding like minded persons.

When I consider my stack of board games waiting for me to give a hoot, with my stack of computer wargames waiting for me to give a hoot, I think the former's chances are looking better than the latter's chances.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post

Where the Boardgames Are

Next time you get that strategy itch, don't pop a ROM in your Xbox 360. Instead, slap a board on your kitchen table.

Dr. S.
        Like the little image.

What game is that from?
        Kevin Kenneally
        Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
        Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
          Like the little image.

What game is that from?
          Lock 'n' Load Band of Heroes, IIRC.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I am surprised that Kevin, a hardcore ASLer, would not already know the name

And that was an upper case ASLer

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
              I am surprised that Kevin, a hardcore ASLer, would not already know the name

And that was an upper case ASLer
              Never seen LnL.

I've lived a "sheltered" life.....
              Kevin Kenneally

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
                Never seen LnL.

I've lived a "sheltered" life.....
                Honest?

Not long back, there was something of a flap over at Gamesquad. Mark did something that really got the goat of several of the ASL mob.

Anyway, Marks design is fairly well liked. But the earlier releases with the halo hex lines was not a good idea. Although his counter art if really incredible.

He's supposed to be doing a PC release, not sure how that will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                  Honest?

Not long back, there was something of a flap over at Gamesquad. Mark did something that really got the goat of several of the ASL mob.

Anyway, Marks design is fairly well liked. But the earlier releases with the halo hex lines was not a good idea. Although his counter art if really incredible.

He's supposed to be doing a PC release, not sure how that will turn out.
                  If it comes out on a PC version, I may purchase it.

Just getting back into the PC version of Panzer General I. I have won the campaign games as Germans, Russians and Americans playing PGII.
                  Kevin Kenneally

Comment

Myself, I have yet to see a board game directly translated into a PC version without it being a mangled mess that took forever to produce.

Why they are killing themselves over at Matrix Games trying to make a PC game out of World in Flames escapes me for instance.

Far easier to just make a game from scratch like Strategic Command or Commander Europe at War. Less headaches too.

Comment

Dr. S.
                      Or you can let someone else slap a board on your computer:

From HexWar.com:

THANKSGIVING OFFER
                      We have added 10 days to all current subscribers' subscription periods as a Thanksgiving bonus. For everyone else just go to the http://www.HexWar.com home page and follow the link to the Thanksgiving offer to the lower right of the screen.

After following a few very basic instructions you will be able access all HexWar subscriber features for 10 days, absolutely free. We ask for no financial information, just a few very basic details to enable you to play.
                      I *think* this applies to new subscribers as well.

Tim
                      "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
                      -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

Hexwar sounds nice on the surface. I recall when it started up too.

But if I'm going to play a board game on a computer as a means to an end, against another through the internet, I'll stick with Vassal or Cyberboard, which have CONSIDERABLY more titles to select from, and not pay a single penny to do it.

Hexwar at it's best rate, is more than 100 bucks annually.
                        Sorry, I can do better than that.

Comment

Where the Boardgames Are

Dr. S.
                          I very much agree with this statement. I love my WWII FPS on PS2, for instance; but for real cerebral enjoyment, the board is king. I like LnL:BoH a lot (Mark demoed it for me at Origins and I picked it and the expansions up on the spot), and have had a lot of fun with it. Played along with reading subject scenario materials on the side, it brings a realism and chance to understand what went down back then, like no cyber game I've seen able to emulate.

Panzer Grenadier is my latest...just read the rules and about to play my first game!
                          http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X