Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your vote! New Warfighter series counters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your vote! New Warfighter series counters.

We've got a poll running over at The Wargamer about preferences for counters for the upcoming Warfighter series games. If I could post the poll here, too, I would, but I don't know how to do it, and we've go a forum over there, too, so we're going to use it

Link: http://www.wargamer.com/forums...1&key=&#253792

Text from the poll over there:
    I'm working on the full art for the new Warfighter series games right now, and I've got a question for all fans of the series.

In the original Movement to Contact, the art was all B&W on color counters and mostly line art, with some photo style.

In The Guards, we went to near-full-color photo-style counters.
    For Maneuver Warrior we did B&W but almost all photo style.

I've been experimenting with a variety of different looks, and frankly, the silhouettes aren't looking too bad. There's a loss of detail, for sure, but overall the crispness of the counters is greatly improved, and they look less cluttered. But I know that the large, detailed counters are one of the big attractions for a lot of fans of the games.

I'm NOT changing the sizes of the counters. I'm only interested in establishing a consistent look that all the Warfighter games will follow from here on out. Up until now, we'd changed some things from game to game, experimenting with different ideas to see what we - and more importantly, you the customers - liked best. We're past that now, and we want to standardize as much as possible so that from here on out there's one look for the series.

So, here's you chance to have a say! Tell me what you like and what you don't. Vote, but please elaborate as well.

Thanks!

Counter samples
    They're not all big, and some are different sizes (they were set up for use in different places, but I just grabbed what was handy rather than custom-create a whole bunch...)

Movement to Contact - Mostly B&W line art

++++++++++++++++++++
    The Guards - Photo-style with some color

++++++++++++++++++++
    Maneuver Warrior - Photo-style but mainly B&W

++++++++++++++++++++
    Possible silhouette counters for new Warfighter game (just a mock-up, not necessarily in production)
    Last edited by BayonetBrant; 17 Oct 07, 22:56. Reason: typo...
    In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Personally I like either of the ones with mostly B&W. Less distracting but still conveys the image well. The color ones are fine, but they are so big that it becomes kind of distracting.

Comment

Keep in mind that *all* counters in the game are 7/8 in counters. They came out in different sizes here because the graphics were saved with different resolutions.
      In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

I really like the silhouette counters.

Have you ever tried adding a small military symbol representing the unit type and size on the counter as well for better clarity?
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

ends up being very cluttered, especially since many counters have frontal armor, too. It also seems to detract from the immediacy of the action...

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
            ends up being very cluttered, especially since many counters have frontal armor, too. It also seems to detract from the immediacy of the action...
            You are probably right...

My suggestion would have been something like the symbols in the right top corner in Panzer grenadier:

May I ask which of your projects that will be completed first, and if there is a rough timetable? I am interested in all three and think the setting for them all is exactly what I have been hoping for.
            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

If you're talking about the projects whose counters are being displayed, they're all already out.

Movement to Contact was released in '05 and sold out this past summer shortly before Origins

The Guards was released in Spring of '06

Maneuver Warrior was Summer '06

Both got their maps significantly overhauled for Summer '07.

What's currently in development are
              1. Azerbaijan & Iran (tentatively titled Asian Thunder, but that could change)

2. French Foreign Legion in Algeria

3. Reprint of MTC, but expanded into a much larger game

4. Expansion of The Guards into a much larger game

The counters used as silhouette samples were from the AZ v IR game.

Comment

The suggestion of adding symbols a la PanzerGrenadier was tried on a few mockups, but it meant reducing the size of the artwork, and everyone we talked with liked the bigger artwork and was willing to live with the loss of military symbols. Plus, with the ZOC symbols, and the ID stripes across the top for specialty units, it got rather cluttered, so we've just stuck with the layout we used for the first game.

Comment

I'm starting work this week.... please get your votes in

Comment

Voting closes this weekend...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X