Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Squad Leader (ASL)

Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask you about ASL. I like board games, I like hex games, I like strategy and I like World War 2. Is ASL for me?

I heard it has many rules that are hard to understand. I also heard that it can be played solo.

So, should I buy it? Do you think I can buy it, will they shipp it to Romania (My country)?

Thanks

Probably. It is the best squad level game out there.

Buy the ASL starter kit and find out. It will probably cost more to ship it to you than anything else. I think it retails for 24$ US.

There are a lot of internet retailers who carry it. Do a search.

Also try http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30 for ASL discussion

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
      "The Other Side" , as they are called, is becoming the preeminent forum for ASL.

It's a great game system which can recreate virtually any engagement up to about battalion level. I haven't played in decades but still have all my stuff.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I happen to like Lock'n'Load better than ASL, but they each have their defenders/supporters. ASL has been around longer, but I think Lock'n'Load is a better game.

www.locknloadgame.com
        In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

I will say that playing ASL is going to make it much easier to find opponents to play than playing Lock'nLoad. I got rid of my LnL stuff, because the guys I game with bought the ASL starter kits and didn't want to even look at the LnL stuff. Of course they don't even touch ASL now, new stuff is always on the table.
          I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
          --William T. Sherman

Comment

Pick up ASLSK #1 or #2 (save #3 for later) and see what you think. The rules are horribly organised though. Be prepared for that. Although ASL can be played solo it is very much better if you play with someone who can teach you the game.
            Last edited by Duncan; 21 Sep 07, 22:27.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
              it is very much better if you play with someone who can teach you the game.
              this is absolutely the best way to learn the game. it's also the very best tactical-level board game out there, but then I am a bit biased. it is a complex game and I have never found anyone who wasn't either hooked after one playing (if it took even that long) or one playing was one-too-many.

Comment

I support ASL for the same reason I would support any game that is able to deliver virtually any possible engagement under the sun for a setting (in this case WW2 infantry squad level combat).

Steel Panthers does this thus making it a nearly unbeatable game.
                Combat Mission more or less the same.
                Campaign Missions has nearly unlimited gaming.
                The Operational Art of War has more than just WW2 and feels like it has no end of battles.

Those are just the easiest ones to recall at the moment.

Now some games will claim to be easier, or they might seem more in tune with the specific setting. But there will of course always be trade offs in the course of being able to be all things.

For ASL, the boards are not any specific location unless you plan to buy additionally the HASL modules.
                And TOAW might seem like everything is a bit "standardized feeling" to some.

But that's a price you have to pay.

There really is only one real barrier to choosing ASL, and that's the entry price.
                If you don't buy all the nationality modules you miss out on some portions of what will feel like the whole. But ASL is a system, and just like any other game labelled a system you don't use the entire system when you play it.

The Starters are fine teaching tutorials, and after you have mastered them, they will still be fine teaching tutorials for anyone you want to introduce to the game so don't think they are eventual redundant purchases you won't need.
                And you don't need to buy all of ASL on day 1 although if you were able to buy a PS3 you don't have any defense against buying a near full set off of eBay for anything up to 800 bucks!

ASL is likely the ultimate contradication. The manual will look like you just picked the hardest game in the world to learn. But remember it's a system and large chunks of the manual simply won't be in use in a lot of instances.
                It's a tricky game to store, but actually a very simple game to set up. So much of ASL is really just 2-3 boards in use and that is hardly a monster game situation. You spend more time deciding where and how to store your game materials between games than you will deciding where to play it.

There is indeed alternatives to playing ASL. Most of them are so utterly inferior, or not as complete, or just too watered down basic. But everyone has their own priorities. Most wargamers usually won't settle for second place or second best. So you might as well set your sights on ASL as there is nothing better than it.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I find ASLSK are nice games in their own right, not just as toutorials. I am a fan of simple scenarios that I can play in an afternoon; the tournament scenarios. ASLSK fits the bill for an evening of enjoyment.

ASLSK is also good for email games. Fewer rules and intricacies means fewer passing of emails stating, "You forgot... What about... But Rule X.yz says..." and so on.

Comment

I find ASLSK are nice games in their own right, not just as toutorials. I am a fan of simple scenarios that I can play in an afternoon; the tournament scenarios. ASLSK fits the bill for an evening of enjoyment.

ASLSK is also good for email games. Fewer rules and intricacies means fewer passing of emails stating, "You forgot... What about... But Rule X.yz says..." and so on.
                    From what I'm reading from the Other Side, the SK is heading towards a separate market; one that doesn't progress to full blown ASL.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                      From what I'm reading from the Other Side, the SK is heading towards a separate market; one that doesn't progress to full blown ASL.
                      I hope they mean 'doesn't necessarily.' It can be both a good game in itself and a good jumping off point for ASL. I would certainly like to see more scenarios.

Comment

I hope they mean 'doesn't necessarily.' It can be both a good game in itself and a good jumping off point for ASL. I would certainly like to see more scenarios.
                        A number of people like the simplicity of the Starter Kit. It even has it's own subforum now:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=317

Comment

Some people will also download a game demo, and refuse to do more than play around with the demo. You can't make an ASL player out of everyone. That's no different than trying to please everyone all of the time. Not really a good plan.

The Starters likely will never be anything better than incomplete concepts. They have distinctly limited force pools, maps and the rules are incomplete. Just like game demos.

Anyone preferring to just play a Starter probably should have also considered any of the less complicated games that compete for attention with ASL. They are at least designs that are fully fleshed out.

Sticking to a Starter is almost like scrapping off the icing from a cake and throwing out the icecream when you think about it. Sure the cake is still fine, but it's missing all the reasons you might have wanted the cake for too.
                          Life is change. Built models for decades.
                          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I see no reason not to enjoy both. I certainly do.

Comment

Someday I'll dig out my stuff and start playing again. All my counters are in a big freezer bag, modules 1-10 plus 2 CG's, so it'll take a month to get that "sorted" out. Luckily I thrive on organizing things!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X