Tide of Iron from Fantasy Flight Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tide of Iron from Fantasy Flight Games

Saw this briefly over at Wargamer (I think), and thought hmm looks interesting.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this title?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron.html
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

dumbed down bobbins that comes in a coffin sized box

try ATS, or ASL, or CC:E
    The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved.

- Gore Vidal

Comment

Originally posted by Krasny View Post
      dumbed down bobbins that comes in a coffin sized box

try ATS, or ASL, or CC:E
      I've owned ASL since the beginning when it was only SL hehe.
      You must not play ASL if you were unaware I do

As for ATS, well you don't need ATS if you have ASL.

Not sure I recognize the CC:E term though.

As for Tide of Iron, it's mostly for a buddy that's good with strategy, just isn't into the minutae that is ASL. Not that he can't handle minutae, he's no slouch in Civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
        I've owned ASL since the beginning when it was only SL hehe.
        You must not play ASL if you were unaware I do

As for ATS, well you don't need ATS if you have ASL.

Not sure I recognize the CC:E term though.

As for Tide of Iron, it's mostly for a buddy that's good with strategy, just isn't into the minutae that is ASL. Not that he can't handle minutae, he's no slouch in Civilization.
        CC:E

combat comander europe, a simple squad level board game from GMT
        The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved.

- Gore Vidal

Comment

Ahh Combat Commander, I know that one.

Alas, I have zero interest in it. Again, I have ASL, and CC:E is really not that well designed for my own opinion.

In my view, Risk is waaaaaay to simple, and there is more to beer and pretzels than just Axis and Allies hehe.

Ideally I am looking for a beer and pretzels level of game, one that is as easy and as straightforward as Axis and Allies, but different enough to be worth trying it over Axis and Allies.
          Last edited by LRB; 18 Sep 07, 06:50.

Comment

Tide of Iron is closer to Squad Leader than it is to Memoir '44. It looks like a euro-game but has a lot of tactical depth to it. The cards are a good feature that will likely be refined through the upcoming expansions.

Squads are specialized not just by your construction (regulars, elite, leaders, MG/mortar teams) but also by your special abilities assigned to them (medic, anti-tank, engineer, etc). Vehicles can carry squads, units can use opportunity fire, assault movement, all the usual expectations.

It's really a pretty good wargame, it's just that the components seem a bit toy-like for most grognards. Also, the first time you play, set-up takes a long time while you snap all the squad pieces into their bases.

I did the interview with John for The Wargamer.
            http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/
            I also did the review for Scrye Magazine, longer review coming soon at The Wargamer (maybe 2 weeks or so).
            In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
              Tide of Iron is closer to Squad Leader than it is to Memoir '44. It looks like a euro-game but has a lot of tactical depth to it. The cards are a good feature that will likely be refined through the upcoming expansions.

Squads are specialized not just by your construction (regulars, elite, leaders, MG/mortar teams) but also by your special abilities assigned to them (medic, anti-tank, engineer, etc). Vehicles can carry squads, units can use opportunity fire, assault movement, all the usual expectations.

It's really a pretty good wargame, it's just that the components seem a bit toy-like for most grognards. Also, the first time you play, set-up takes a long time while you snap all the squad pieces into their bases.

I did the interview with John for The Wargamer.
              http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/
              I also did the review for Scrye Magazine, longer review coming soon at The Wargamer (maybe 2 weeks or so).
              Well said.

The only comparison between this title {TOI} and Memoir '44 is that they have minis. M'44 is a great system for getting youngins & and people who are are not Grogs into wargaming which i have been doing for 2 years now with it. Axis & Allies is so old hat now. I like the games, dont get me wrong, but im sick to death of playing them.

Now if you want something in between M'44 and real wargames, give TOI a go, it has a lot of tactical flair to it. I was very suprised by the game actually. I went into it thinking it was going to be a glorified M'44 and to my great suprise it was so much more.

Tom Vassel wrote an excellent review of the game and it can be found over at Funagaingames.com on the page that has TOI on it. Check it out.

BTW - CC:E isnt that great as far as im concerned.
              Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 17 Sep 07, 23:02.
              http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

I would like to add to my above comment that like Aries, I too have been playing the SL series since the old days before ASL was around. As a matter of fact, i wont even consider buying ASL as i belive the first 4 games are where its at.

But its next to impossible to get a youngster to start playing their first wargame with a game like SL unless they are really into it. I did it, but i was a WWII junky and a Grognard in the making. The young ones im breaking in are not. Thats why games like M'44 and TOI are great for getting them started. CC:E tries to fall inbetween SL and a game like M'44 and falls on its face IMHO.
                http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                  Ahh Combat Commander, I know that one.

Alas, I have zero interest in it. Again, I have ASL, and CC:E is really not that well designed for my own opinion.

In my view, Risk is waaaaaay to simple, and there is more to beer and pretzels than just Axis and Allies hehe.

Ideally I am looking for a beer and pretzels level of game, one that is as easy and as straightforward as Axis and Allies, but different enough to be worth trying it over Axis and Allies.
                  For good beer & Pretzel games, try "Conquest of the Empire" (old version is easier than the new version...both good) and History of the World. Both played regularly at my home night games. For a classic (if you can get your hands on it) is Escape from Colditz....very old, very cool.
                  http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
                    I would like to add to my above comment that like Aries, I too have been playing the SL series since the old days before ASL was around. As a matter of fact, i wont even consider buying ASL as i belive the first 4 games are where its at.

But its next to impossible to get a youngster to start playing their first wargame with a game like SL unless they are really into it. I did it, but i was a WWII junky and a Grognard in the making. The young ones im breaking in are not. Thats why games like M'44 and TOI are great for getting them started. CC:E tries to fall inbetween SL and a game like M'44 and falls on its face IMHO.
                    Good point on the quality of M44 being a good system to get younger players involved in gaming...and maybe even read some background material on the side after being intrigued (hopefully) by some of the scenarios. This is where that system shines, on that point. It's simple enough for young minds; but it's scenarios are real battles that they can explore latter. Try that tangent with RISK (which I do still love!).

Don't, however, underestimate the jewel that is Memoir '44: games that can be played in a half hour fit amazingly well in a life style where one has to work to put the rations on the table. You get a small grog-fix in playing out a real-war scenario (though very simplistic) in a short time frame, and can still work on the wife's Honey-Do list! WIN-WIN!!!!!!!!!

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

I hate Conquest of the Empire

Every time I played it, I was too good for the other guys, so they would always gang up on my after a couple of turns. That really sucks the fun out of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                        I hate Conquest of the Empire

Every time I played it, I was too good for the other guys, so they would always gang up on my after a couple of turns. That really sucks the fun out of a game.
                        I know what you mean! When I got the game in the '80s, I wasn't that much of a threat, and made it through the whole game; but as the years past and my skills elevated respectfully, I get teamed up on as well with this game. Glad to hear another out there with the same experience with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                          Don't, however, underestimate the jewel that is Memoir '44: games that can be played in a half hour fit amazingly well in a life style where one has to work to put the rations on the table. You get a small grog-fix in playing out a real-war scenario (though very simplistic) in a short time frame, and can still work on the wife's Honey-Do list! WIN-WIN!!!!!!!!!

C-Rations for the whole family

I just picked up TOI bout a week ago and it is great for getting my other friends (D&D/magic/any fantasy rpg/card game) into wargaming.

so far they all dig it, tho i really have to tone down my playing style and coach them on the basics of tactics and such (but it is great that they are enthusiatic about it)

got some of em to play the combat mission games even and they thought it was boring except for when the 1 minute of movement comes up :lol:

anyways point being TOI is great and once they hopefully put in the time to master at least that game then its on to ASL for them
                          Today we march forward undaunted, without fear and without hope, for we are desperate men...

Comment

I did as well

Just a while ago, I've only played a couple games, but not to bad all in all. The Normandy expansion I ordered just came in and I'll pick it up later today.
                            I think if the miniatures look a little to "toyish", I d say paint em up like I'm doing right now!!! Ha Ha

Cheers

Tom

Comment

TOI is one of the best games I've played. The worst thing is huge box. It could be by half smaller. When you wont to take it outside you have to take turistic bag!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X