Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASLSK, where should the shock troops reinforce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASLSK, where should the shock troops reinforce?

This is a small ASL starter kit game that I am playing by email. The scenario is War of the Rats. It is infantry only, in Stalingrad. It's a short, six turn game. The German objective is to control the buildings circled in red. They must control every hex in all of the buildings.

This is the end of turn #1 and the Russians (me) have an ad hoc shock group, platoon sized, reinforcing from the bottom of the map soon. Arrival turn is random but I must declare where they are entering from this turn. The Russians also have the advantage of being in the buildings. However, two out of three of their MG positions have already been taken out. I hope to regain the MMG on the left but it is more likely that the squad I just advanced into there will get shot to hell. The LMG on the right is being carried by a routing squad. If he gains good order eventually I'll get some use out of it. But the group isn't in the correct building anymore and will have to fight it's way back in. The German advantage is their superior firepower, morale, leadership, smoke, and special equipment in the form of two demolition charges (DC counters) and a flamethrower. The Russians have the advantage of hard cover, initial control of the victory locations, and reinforcements.

Now, remembering that "he who defends everything defends nothing," and I only have to prevent the Germans from complete control, which building should the Russians aim to reinforce?

Left
    0.00%
    Center
    16.67%
    Right
    50.00%
    Other
    33.33%
    Last edited by Duncan; 08 Jul 07, 12:22.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

I am tending towards the center. The left and right buildings have been shot up already. Going for them would be reinforcing failure. The center is still strong. So, let's keep it that way. Of course the flamethrower presents a conern. But he will have to come in close, under fire.
    Last edited by Duncan; 08 Jul 07, 12:13.

Comment

I'd go right, since you can reinforce between those two buildings easier if BOTH don't fall, and that would have to be very bad luck for you to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
        I'd go right, since you can reinforce between those two buildings easier if BOTH don't fall, and that would have to be very bad luck for you to happen.
        There's an MMG pointing down the road between the two buildings, with very good leader direction. It's ready to rip up anyone who tries to run across. Running in the open, in front of an MMG, was never my favourite tactic.

Comment

I only roll "box-cars", so I am in no position to give advice in ASL...

Last time I played that scenario everything went down the drain due to poor dice handeling. My FT ran out of fuel during its first action, and my explosive charges, brilliantly placed just created some loud noises. Combine that with a sudden strike of poor reading apprehension, which lead me to forget bringing half of all my SW in the setup... *sigh*
          "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I would fight to occupy the right building.
            The center building is too close to most of the Germans.
            The building on the left seems too isolated.
            "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

My furthest left section failed to recover the MMG and was broken by fire!

Comment

Reinforce the right center. The large building must be a key objective and shoule be defended vigorously. Reinforce that through the buildings in L8 and M9. The forces to the left will become heroes of the Soviet Union.
                "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Tredegar View Post
                  Reinforce the right center. The large building must be a key objective and shoule be defended vigorously. Reinforce that through the buildings in L8 and M9. The forces to the left will become heroes of the Soviet Union.
                  I'm also thinking it'll take him more than five turns to get to that building and clear it out. That's a big building and a lot of work for a short battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
                    I only roll "box-cars", so I am in no position to give advice in ASL...
                    Oh man. I really don't get you people. Last time I played wargames, I had to give up the black dice because I was rolling too deadly. How am I supposed to play Germany without black dice?? I suppose it's okay still if I do something like stand on my head while I roll to make it luckier.

Comment

Definitely the right. If you can enter anywhere on the board edge, you can gett into the builging without falling under the gaze of the 9-2 and his MG. The commrades in the center building will buy you time. A glorious death for the mother land and all. The hun may be in a position to take you in the long run, but with only six turns... hexes = time...
                      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                      Normandy 2007
                      ACW Border Wars 2008
                      Bulge 2008

Comment

Here it is at almost the half-way mark.

West building has one conscript Russian squad standing against two first line German squads that are armed with lmg and mmg. One of the German squads is pinned.

Center building has two conscript and one front line Russian squads in good order. On the top left corner is a front line and elite German squad with a good leader. In the road is a German squad with an mmg and an excellent leader.

East building is in melee. Even money with an elite German squad fighting a first line Russian squad and leader. However, the German squad on the right will advance this turn.

The shock group will enter on the hex marked with a red dot. We don't know when though. It consists of three smg equipped front line squads with an lmg and an excellent leader.

It's time for the Russian defensive fire at the top half of turn three. It should be quite innefective.

It looks like the center building is going to be the big fight. There was a good fight were the Russians ambushed and killed a German squad in close combat and then got shot up themselves from the adjacent building. The Germans have swept through and are converging on it. The Russians are going to enter below it and the Germans are aware of this. The Russians only need to hold any single hex of any of the three buildings. The Russians must choose wether to go to the center or right hand building when the shock group arrives (whenever that is). Good cover going up the center but the right building may be easier to occupy and hold. The Russians shock group really needs to wait and see what the exact situation is when they arrive.

Last edited by Duncan; 21 Sep 07, 22:05.

Comment

I decided to reinforce the center building with the Russian shock troops. The other two buildings were held by conscripts and wiped out. The Germans made an all or nothing assault on the center. You can see the DC and MMG that were left behind where his troops were killed. On the bottom the two charging units were pinned, one in a very exposed position on the street. The Russians were not unscathed. They took some losses and there is a routed unit under the 8-0 leader. But they are still very strong. So the Germans, down to about a platoon and stuck outside a building held by strong Russian shock troops have resigned.

Comment

Why 6 turns? Is the sun going down? Love these realistic games.

Comment

Even better when all factory defenders are Fanatic. Companies disappear then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X